It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics vs Believers: Enhanced Human Functions I call

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The Idea I have is to first establish a baseline of human potential.

I ask for the post to be used or included stick to statistics at first.

Physical
Mental

Are the two I am using.

What I am looking for is peak, average, below average..

Physical-
What conditions do you want to use
human speed
Human strength
Jumping height
Jumping length

Combat-
Ultimate Fighting
Martial arts

--Deadliest--
Seals, Recon, SAS, Swat, Rangers, ect

Longest swim
Longest without Air

Did I forget any? Post the records

Remember I want the Skeptics post as well

Mental-
Edict Memory limit
Speed Reading
Savant Skills

We do have baselines for calculable skills at worst case for examples of individuals

Artist-
Inventors-
Businessmen-
Leaders-
Tacticians-
Magician-
Con Men-

Establish a series of skills the greats have. The have done it and it can be proved. So far no question on the enhanced functions.

Drug enhanced-
Insulin-
Steroids-
PCP-
'___'-
Truth Serum-

Psychological disorders-
Schizophrenia-
Bi-Polar-
OCD-
Delusional-

Any other known medical conditions that affect humanity.

First I want to establish this baseline before we move to enhanced human Functions. I challenge every single skeptic to participate. It is an open discussion where we start with an agreed upon, by the debaters and with history and statistics.

I have to ask a moderator if they will agree to be arbitrator between any posters were the line is to close to call. So if you are game lets get the ball rolling so we can quickly move to enhanced human potential.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ahh, not sure what your getting at, but i can swim an olympic pool underwater pretty easy, hence 'Scuba'........ also my dog 'Gravy' can retrieve a kong toy from the bottom of a 6 foot pool.

I can hold my own if needed.

Edit to add, after rereading your thread, i have no clue how to approach what your asking, ill wait to see others, i may catch on

[edit on 6/3/2010 by scubagravy]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I do apologise to all.

I have a bad habit of being in the flow of one conversation and then start talking to someone else and seem to include them. I slight error in my personal timing during conversations

What I want to do is this:

I want a list of numbers in the above listed areas (my first post)

So that a true baseline of what a human can do can be established.

Then with the first set of statistics, add a list of human abilities at three parts.

The peek of human achievement
Average
Below average

A left out example is human IQ.

The smartest, the average, Darwin awards

After the baseline of human functions is created I will go through and attempt to collect them all into one post.

Then from there move the discussion to what is inbetween those numbers, abilities, and weirdness.

From their where enhanced human function is.

Examples
Psychic
Healers
Magic

This is an attempt to establish a reference point for argument over human abilities. The only way to begin is with the most complete list that can be compiled.

The skeptics and the believers will then be arguing over points and not generalizations.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Im loving this post , i will definitely contribute when i have free time .

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
highest vertical jump

On 19 July 1988, at a performance in The Hague, the Chinese acrobat Yan Zhi Cheng jumped (without trampoline or any assistance) through a hoop of which the lowest point was measured at 246 cm. He used two legs to set off, so his jump isn't the official world record. However, it is the highest human jump ever recorded. Source: Guinness Book of Records 1989.

Oldest people

The following tables list only the verified oldest people in world in ordinal rank, such as oldest person or oldest man. A supercentenarian is considered verified if their claim has been accepted by an international body that specifically deals in longevity research, such as the Gerontology Research Group or the Guinness Book of World Records. The longest unambiguously documented lifespan is that of Jeanne Calment of France (1875–1997), who died at age 122 years and 164 days. She met Vincent van Gogh at age 12 or 13.[1] This led to her being noticed by the media in 1985, at age 110. Subsequent investigation found that her life was documented in the records of her native city of Arles beyond reasonable question.[2] More evidence for the Calment case has been produced than for any other supercentenarian case, which makes her case a standard among the oldest people recordholders.[citation needed] This is contrasted with the now-disputed claim of age 120 for the oldest man ever, Shigechiyo Izumi. While this case is still recognized by Guinness World Records,[3] the Japanese authorities have hinted that his age was not certain.[4] The oldest undisputed male is Christian Mortensen, who lived to be 115 years and 252 days.

Strongest ? Lamar grant

Lamar Gant (born 1957) is an American world record-holding powerlifter.[1] He was inducted into the International Powerlifting Federation Hall of Fame in 1980.[2] Gant set his first world record in 1974 by deadlifting 524.5 pounds (238 kg) at a bodyweight of 123 pounds (56 kg) at the Flint Olympian Games. In 1985, he became the first man to deadlift five times his own bodyweight, lifting 661 pounds (300 kg) at a bodyweight of 132 pounds (60 kg). For this, he has been included the Guinness Book of Records. He currently holds the world records for deadlifting in both the 123- and 132-pound weight classes.[3] His best lifts at 123 pounds are 314 pounds (142 kg) RAW bench press, 638 pounds (289 kg) deadlift and at 132 pounds are 595 pounds (270 kg) squat 615 pounds (279 kg) (in training), 352.5 pounds (159.9 kg) RAW bench press, and 688 pounds (312 kg) deadlift.

Smartest- vos savant

It is generally acknowledged that vos Savant has an extremely high intelligence quotient (IQ) score, and she has held memberships with the high-IQ societies, Mensa International and the Prometheus Society.[5] There is much confusion over the actual value, with data and calculations variously yielding 167+, 180, 195, 215, and 230 (the high variance reflects the higher standard deviations which accompany high-range IQ tests).[citation needed] Extremely high IQ measurement is not an exact science: high IQs are very difficult to quantify because so few people have IQs at that level, giving rise to the problems associated with small sample sizes, ceiling bumping caused by tests not designed to measure such high IQs, and fat tailing which gives the impression more high IQs exist than predicted by a normal distribution.[citation needed] Moreover, there are general disagreements and controversies over the validity of IQ scoring at any level.

So far
life- 122 yrs
strength- 5x bodyweight
vertical jump- 246cm
IQ- 167+ (due to failure and acceptance of it I put this a a mere threshold for genius)

This is a taste Of what I am looking for. Why we establish a baseline for human potential maxed to date.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is the area I will reach that starts heading into problems.

Speed Reading ? Berg

In 1989 Howard Stephen Berg was acknowledged in the 1990 Guinness Book of World Records as the "Fastest Reader in the World" for reading more than 25,000 words a minute (over 416 words per second) and writing more than 100 words a minute.

So that by the time I get to this I want that base line.

Savant

Savant syndrome From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Savant syndrome, sometimes abbreviated as savantism, is not a recognized medical diagnosis, but researcher Darold Treffert describes it as a rare condition in which persons with developmental disorders (including autism spectrum disorders) have one or more areas of expertise, ability, or brilliance that are in contrast with the individual's overall limitations. Treffert says the condition can be genetic, but can also be acquired.[1] According to Treffert, about half of persons with savant syndrome have autistic disorder, while the other half have another developmental disability, mental retardation, brain injury or disease. He says, "... not all autistic persons have savant syndrome and not all persons with savant syndrome have autistic disorder".[1] Other researchers state that autistic traits and savant skills may be linked,[2] or have challenged some earlier conclusions about savant syndrome as "hearsay, uncorroborated by independent scrutiny".[3] Though it is even more rare than the savant condition itself, some savants have no apparent abnormalities other than their unique abilities. This does not mean that these abilities weren't triggered by a brain dysfunction of some sort but does temper the theory that all savants are disabled and that some sort of trade-off is required.[4] (see Prodigious Savants below)

This ability seems to indicate that you might be able to overmaximse the system. The question is could you do it then return the system. Yes it would be similar to changing computer functions.

The reason I want to word this this way is to explain that I want that bridge. Between the numbers to the functional operations vs theoretical operations.

From time to time I will reference a post say the numbers for speed reading and will ask a question.

"This means what series or operations occurred in the brain to read at this speed. In a since we have a timed operational function. How many neurons where used max/min/avg for the reading speed?

By the way ask that each time you post you end it with the updated numbers so everyone can Follow.

life- 122 yrs
strength- 5x bodyweight
vertical jump- 246cm
IQ- 167+
Speed reading:25,000 words a minute

top topics

join