It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dream Team' Agrees Huge Asteroid Killed Dinosaurs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
(March 4) -- For decades, scientists have debated exactly what kind of cataclysm was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. Did a giant rock from outer space blast T. rex and his ilk off the face of the Earth? Or was a huge volcanic eruption to blame?

Now the jury is in -- maybe. In Friday's issue of the prestigious journal Science, a "dream team" of 41 researchers from 12 nations declares that the evidence points overwhelmingly to a mountain-sized asteroid that walloped the planet 65 million years ago. The monstrous boulder left an equally monstrous scar, a 120-mile-wide dimple known as the Chicxulub crater on the Mexican coast.

"We assessed the whole picture," says Kirk Johnson of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. "The answer is quite simple. ... The Chicxulub crater really is the culprit."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/383368724f8a.jpg[/atsimg]

www.aolnews.com...

The 65 million years theory of an Asteroid hitting the earth has been floating around for years, now all of a sudden 41 researchers are agreeing this may be the case.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well at least they got the name right Dream ....keep dreaming maybe they will admitt it was the flood....ohhh wait they can't get grants for that.

Flood

Flood

FLOOD

I have spent years in the field ,not restrained by some acadamic format,discovered 2 new species,( not some little shell either). The evidence is overwhelming across the globe. 99% of dinos are incased in sediment deposit which is formed by .....Water.

Asteroid Android Hemroid

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
They've never lived through an asteroid hitting the Earth, maybe no one has. Maybe some species did, but it caused mutations instead of a mass extinction.

All these people have are vague clues and and some bones.

I bet we can get 40 people to say dinosaurs died of a water balloon fight and drowned.

[edit on 4-3-2010 by oppaperclip]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6bdcfb71d49.jpg[/atsimg]

A faint arc of dark green in the upper left portion of this map shows shows what's left of the Chicxulub crater on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. The asteroid that created the crater was more than seven miles wide and moved 20 times faster than a rifle bullet

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Ok, we were once dead certain that an asteroid killed all the big lizards. Then they say they didn't die, but evolved into birds. Now they're back to the asteroid thing.

*sigh* How is anyone supposed to keep up?

My theory is that they just died of some unknown cause. This sounds logical enough to me, and until everyone else makes up their mind I think it's a pretty safe assumption (Yeah I know assumptions are terrible things. It's just that we can't seem to make up our minds on this subject).

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
where is the mountain sized rock that created the crator?

it should be lying around somewhere near there.shouldnt it?

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Grayelf2009:

99% of dinos are incased in sediment deposit which is formed by .....Water.

So, 99% of fossils we have are dated at exactly 65.5 million years ago, right? Or was this flood lasting for more than 160 million years (that's the average span of dinosaur presence/domination on Earth according to the mother of all evils - accepted science!)

aletheia:

One keeps up by reading what is said and not we suppose is said. Not all dinosaurs evolved to birds (imagine the Sauropods doing that!!) and no paleontologist has claimed that ALL animals descending from dinosaurs were extinct - the birds are still around us and thanks to them we can have an idea what T-Rex would taste like (you guessed it!! Chicken!
).
The asteroid just triggered the climate change that killed off the dinosaurs. Otherwise you'd need to line millions of them up for the asteroid to physically kill each and every one of them (maybe ET could have done that and then disperse the fossils to confuse us?)

Mr ROB:

Embedded in the area's bedrock I suppose? Or reduced to dust and scattered around? 65 million years ARE awfully long a time (the Himalayas are not that old yet!) and whole continents can disappear during that.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maegnas
Grayelf2009:

99% of dinos are incased in sediment deposit which is formed by .....Water.

accepted science

Embedded in the area's bedrock I suppose? Or reduced to dust and scattered around? 65 million years ARE awfully long a time (the Himalayas are not that old yet!) and whole continents can disappear during that.

Whose science? The same people that told us they evolved into birds then said that a catacalysm destroyed the dinosaurs? The same science that claims they know how the entire UNIVERSE was started? THAT science?

Sorry but...I'm a little too smart to have a bunch of egotistical maniacs with agendas make my mind up for me. Not saying that ALL science can't be trusted...just saying to pick your battles.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Hivethink]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Hiya Aquarius1, the asteroid theory of the dinosaur extinction is like a Rocky movie...it keeps coming back for more. It's the 'best-fit' theory and mildly alarming if we accept that it could occur again...with diminishing odds as time passes by. There's a good site where you can hit the Earth with any size asteroid you like...Earth Impact Effects Program. I've hit the Earth with massive asteroids and been surprised how much it can stand.

@ Greyelf

The evidence is overwhelming across the globe. 99% of dinos are incased in sediment deposit which is formed by .....Water.

There's a lot of water on Earth and fossilisation as a process is dependent on sedimentary layers. Simple explanation here. No sediment, no fossil

Edit to add a good pdf with details and explanations of the science behind impact extinction events...Large Meteorite Impacts and Planetary Evolution

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
where is the mountain sized rock that created the crator?

it should be lying around somewhere near there.shouldnt it?

Hiya Mr Bob. Common sense tells us that the massive impactor should still be there...common sense is often wrong. I recommend reading this article about impacts...it's excellent and eye-opening. Sci-Am: The Day the Sands Caught Fire.

As a rule of thumb, craters in rock are 20 times as large as the objects that caused them; in sand, which absorbs the impact energy more efficiently, the factor is closer to 12. Therefore, the largest object that hit Wabar was between 8.0 and 9.5 meters in diameter, assuming that the impact velocity was seven or five kilometers per second, respectively. The aggregate mass of the original meteoroid was at least 3,500 tons. Its original kinetic energy amounted to about 100 kilotons of exploding TNT. After the air braking, the largest piece hit with an energy of between nine and 13 kilotons. Although the Hiroshima bomb released a comparable amount of energy, it destroyed a larger area, mainly because it was an airburst rather than an explosion at ground level.
From the Sci-Am link

new topics

top topics

join