It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Eyes Crazy Single-Person Flying Aircraft for Transport

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
This little aircraft looks incredible - and it really brings out the eager little boy in me. I want one for Christmas. I promise too be good

According to DVICE, NASA has designed an experimental, one-man, electric aircraft called Puffin. It's ten times quieter than a helicopter, can fly 300 mph, and has a range of 50 miles. (Engineers say that flight range could triple by 2017.) The Puffin is similar to a jetpack, but it has a cockpit, boasts dual propellers on each wing, and, we assume, is much safer. However, there's no word on how much experience you'd need to cruise the wild blue in one of these bad boys.

Main Link

Second link

This should solve my daily commute traffic problems!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
holy crap... them blades look dangerous. And it's right next to your head. It is kind of funny to watch this fly because it in the shape of man with 2 props. Something like this with a jet engine would be more up my alley, with afterburner of course.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

Well sir, it seems I can accomodate your wish. Behold! The world's first commercial jetpack:

It is the perfect way for city high-fliers to miss the morning rush hour. A company is set to produce the first commercial JETPACKS - and one could be yours for just £50,000.

Link

Edited for Chronic Dyslexia

[edit on 1/3/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Awsome it would be so fun to fly around and explore. They need to increase the range quite abit before I'll buy one tho. I'd end up stranded somewhere forsure. Now imagine if it ran off of ZPE, now that would be fun!

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
It is cool and all but what practical purpose could this have at this point in time? Is there nothing more relevant they could consider? Seems like a big gimmick for something we wouldn't be prepared to run for a number of years, makes me curious.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by cryolite

I aree, these "aircraft" are basically just more tools for the idle rich. But, then again, so are supercars (who needs a car that goes 200MPH anyway), but yet they sell quite nicely.

My point is that an object does not have to be practical to make it desirable.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

yea to morons.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I've seen Flubber, flying car isn't anything new. When and where could they even be used is my question. I'm sure the dirt bike was a big deal, turns out you can't just ride it anywhere (legally)

[edit on 1-3-2010 by cryolite]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Perhaps, but you would have to be a special person indeed (or a Luddite) to have never lusted after some item that you could not afford, yet still desired to own.

For example, I am a sucker for the latest and greatest electronic gadgets. From the latest external hard-drives to SLR digital cameras with better lenses, megapixels etc.

Oh, and I also have a thing for Angelina Jolie although she is of little practical use to me in the long term.

Editing for recurring bout of dyslexia

[edit on 1/3/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I'd feel a lot safer in that Nasa plane then I would that dodgy jetpack!

That Jetpack looks like something I'd try and build after I retire.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Yes but your digital devices and celebrity women cannot cause a midair crash. There are things called personal jets that serve the same function, and last time I checked you weren't supposed to just take off for a joy ride as you please. A high tech camera or big lipped movie star are not quite the same. Are you trying to objectify women?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
A jetpack that travels 30 miles... would be better used as a tool for those looking to get into remote spots in the woods. Wee!

I'd love it for prospecting.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I'll take 2.. haha I do like that second one in your link better. At least the prop, etc is enclosed. 50k pounds seem like a alot considering the small number of parts involved. And still looks inherently unsafe to say the least.

Have you ever seen the paraglider with the engine? at least if you lost your motor, you could just glide back to earth. one engine failure on the jetpack thing and your ass is toast.

Still, bringing these personal aircraft to the surface makes you think about designs. Take a look at Copenhagen Suborbital's. Personal spacecraft. Man, you would be nuts to launch yourself like that. Ride that missile cowboy.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

No, I was being flippant ... facetious.

Anyway, remember, that it is about perspective. The car I drive is an object of desire for the beggar on the street, yet I desire the Dodge Viper that blasts past me on the highway.

Anyway, back on topic .... regarding personal aircraft - I rather like the motorised hang-gliders. Always wanted one.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Ok check this. This one is real cool, but I am not sure about carrying all that weight. Looks cool tho.

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

That would be sooo awesome! Imagine the surge of UFO sightings

shame that us lower "class" won't ever afford it

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

yeehaaa! that para-buggy thingy looks really cool ... Imagine the possibilities ... para-boat, para-bike ...etc

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
It's ten times quieter than a helicopter, can fly 300 mph, and has a range of 50 miles.

10 minutes of flying, haha, Be home in a second hunny!!
"dont forget, we need milk'....

Wheres the landing gear ?

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
How about this cool craft:

Hovercraft in style. Powered by a 4-cylinder automotive engine, the UH-18SP is everything you'd ever want in a hovercraft. It was designed for people who love to play. For the family that gets together for fishing, skiing, cruising and all-around fun, this is your vehicle. The UH-18SP will take you places other craft have never been. Convert your UH-18SP hovercraft into the 18SPW Hoverwing™ in less than twenty minutes and fly up to 10 feet high over waves, rocks, beaches and fields in ground effect. The wings roll up and can be stored aboard the craft for easy transportation and rapid deployment. The UH-18SPW Hoverwing™ is the only ground-effect hovercraft to be released as a plan or kit.

Link

posted on Mar, 1 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

I just imagine what hitting a bird at 300 m.p.h. would do to your face, and the security risk of suicide missions in these.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join