It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epidemic reported in Flagler County, FL; virus sickens hundreds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Now what?

Doesn't look like swine flu. I'll have to research norovirii and see what they do.

A Norovirus outbreak is ongoing at two retirement facilities in Florida. The Alachua County Health Department announced that residents at the Atrium and Oak Hammock facilities have recently been affected by the outbreak, said the Gainesville Sun.

Of the Atrium’s 204 residents, 26 have been diagnosed with Noroviurs; eight of 52 staff have also been confirmed with suffering from the virus, said the Gainesville Sun. Visitors are being discouraged and ill patients are encouraged to remain in their rooms, added the Gainesville Sun. Of 85 residents at Oak Hammock who live in three residential group facilities, 43 have been reported as ill, as have 17 of the facility’s 70 staff, said the Gainesville Sun, which added that laboratory testing is in progress.
Anthony Dennis, the health department’s director of environmental health, said that the most recent case of suspected Norovirus was reported Friday at the Atrium and Oak Hammock saw its peak on Wednesday, according to the Gainesville Sun.

Norovirus, a group of viruses that cause gastroenteritis are not helped with antibiotics. People become infected by eating food or drinking liquids contaminated with Norovirus; touching surfaces or objects contaminated with Norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth; and having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms. People may feel very sick and vomit many times a day. Sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replenish the liquids lost due to vomiting and diarrhea and can become dehydrated and require special medical attention.

[url=http://www.justicenewsflash.com/2010/02/23/epidemic-reported-flagler-county-fl-virus-sickens-hundreds_201002233385.html]www.justicenewsflash.com[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
oh god now what? More man made viruses to control us and make us fear everything. I hope it doesn't spread. By the way what ever happened to that virus that burned peoples lungs??

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
www.cdc.gov...

How serious is norovirus disease?
People may feel very sick and vomit many times a day, but most people get better within 1 or 2 days, and they have no long-term health effects related to their illness. However, sometimes people are unable to drink enough liquids to replace the liquids they lost because of vomiting and diarrhea. These persons can become dehydrated (lose too much water from their body) and may need special medical attention. During norovirus infection, this problem with dehydration is usually only seen among the very young, the elderly, and people with other illness. (For more information see Is there a treatment for norovirus infection?)

but:

Is there a treatment for norovirus infection?
There is no vaccine to prevent norovirus infection. And there is no drug to treat people who are infected with the virus. Antibiotic drugs will not help if you have norovirus infection. This is because they fight against bacteria not viruses. Norovirus illness is usually brief in people who are otherwise healthy. But, the infection can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea. This can lead to dehydration (loss of too much water from the body). During norovirus infection, young children, the elderly, and people with other illnesses are most at risk for dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration in adults and children include a decrease in urination, a dry mouth and throat, and feeling dizzy when standing up. A dehydrated child may also cry with few or no tears and be unusually sleepy or fussy. Dehydration can lead to other serious problems. And severe dehydration may require hospitalization for treatment with intravenous (IV) fluids. Thus it is important to prevent dehydration during norovirus illness. The best way to protect against dehydration is to drink plenty of liquids. The most helpful fluids for this purpose are oral rehydration fluids (ORF)*. Other drinks that do not contain caffeine or alcohol can also help with mild dehydration. However, these drinks may not replace important nutrients and minerals lost due to vomiting and diarrhea.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the situation in Haiti?

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
More likely the illegals working at these places are passing something they picked up in Mexico.

Cheap labor has many problems when that labor does not have adequate medical care.

Expect more of this as companies use illegals

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Hey friend- long time!

So here's a Wiki link to Norovirii- no it's not Nature or Science, but I don't have the $ to renew my subscriptions!!!!

en.wikipedia.org...

It's mainly a GI bug, it seems- very common in hospitals, cruise ships, hotels, restaurants- anywhere fecal matter on the hands may be passed around.

This caught my eye in reading the article:

A study performed by scientists at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, published in the journal PLoS Pathogens (July 18, 2008), suggests that the protein MDA-5 may be the primary immune sensor that detects the presence of noroviruses in the body.[34] Interestingly, some people have common variations of the MDA-5 gene that could make them more susceptible to norovirus infection.[35]

So- some of us might have a higher risk for catching it than others. If this Florida community has a lot of shared DNA (families who've been there a long time, etc.), it might explain the virulence.

It's also possible that it's another virus making the rounds. Here in the Midwest, nearly everyone I know (myself included) who had a bad flu, had a bad GI infection within a few months. So that makes me think it's highly opportunistic (as all bugs are- a weakened immune system is a perfect place for a bug to settle in- viral, bacterial, fungal, etc.).

Also- note that among the subtypes of norovirii, there is a "Desert Shield" variety. I wonder if troops caught it overseas and brought it back (and it mutated as it passed through them), or if they had it going over, and it mutated there?

* Norwalk virus [M87661] (Hu/NLV/NV/1968/US) * Hawaii virus [U07611] (Hu/NLV/HV/1971/US) * Snow Mountain virus [L23831] (Hu/NLV/SMV/1976/US) * Mexico virus [U22498] (Hu/NLV/MX/1989/MX) * Desert Shield virus [U04469] (Hu/NLV/DSV395/1990/SR) * Southampton virus [L07418] (Hu/NLV/SHV/1991/UK) * Lordsdale virus [X86557] (Hu/NLV/LD/1993/UK)

Regardless, it's a nasty one- and if it's what I've had- absolutely no fun at all. I was beginning to think I had a parasite! You know what stopped my symptoms? Salt tablets and water- the kind you take in a marathon or a hot factory- sodium chloride, calcium carbonate and potassium phosphate! I was at wit's end- took one tab a day with a LOT of water, and re-established an electrolyte balance that Gatorade or other similar stuff couldn't do. So perhaps, like cholera, treating the dehydration is the answer. I don't know- and I'm not informing anyone what to do- it just helped me a lot.

One other thing- it's HIGHLY contagious. If one has it, bedding should be washed in hot water DAILY, clothing, etc. Hand washing is critical- cleaning under fingernails, etc.- like scrubbing for surgery. I did all that and my husband never caught it. I also scrubbed my commode daily- so my friends didn't catch it either- at least from my house. But many (I'd say at least 10) people I know have had what seems like this infection, for a god deal of the winter.
My internist told me it was a virus (he actually took a sample- wow- a responsible doctor!), and I had to let it run its course. I lost 10 pounds and I'm just now getting hungry again.

One last thought- if anyone goes out for drinks- bartenders- no matter how clean- are vectors- especially if you have fruit in your drink. The sucker hangs around on citrus rinds, ice, ice machines, (not unlike Legionnaire's in that sense, only it's not bacterial). Order a beer and ask to open it yourself.
Go to restaurants you know (i.e., one's where you've never been ill), and skip fast food. Mine started with a dash to a fast food joint on the way to an appointment- hungry and running late. Then months of cramps, and things I won't describe

I've also been in and out of hospitals for minor surgeries- no doubt that could be a vector.
Bottom line is that if THIS sucker decides to hitch a ride with a flu virus ( both are RNA viri), we will have a very contagious and very sick population, with a virus that's incredibly hard to shake. It's not like flu (which, however horrible, does go away)- it sticks around for months, and it already likes cows and pigs.......

Sorry to ramble. Hope everyone takes good care xoxoxox

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
BY the way- if the infection is serious enough ( and it's not lab-made- it's as old as the trees)---simple oral hydration might not be enough.

I had to go to the OR to get a few bags of fluids- I suggest anyone do the same if ill enough to only take 1 or 2 glasses of fluid/day. xoxox
---C

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Over the last few years I've observed that the norovirus comes 2 or 3 days after huge chemtrail spraying. Chemtrails don't always contain it, they are used for many reasons, but every now and then the norovirus is inserted.

Rockfeller's World Elite are preparing us for another vaccine, they have admitted that they are working on a so-called vaccine for the norovirus. The reality is that it's another excuse to inject us with something nasty e.g. sterilization or disease. The vaccine makes money for the Pharms and then whatever illnesses come from it make even more money.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Norovirus is nothing to fear, I've had it myself a few times, when I was working in care homes and hospitals it was a common thing.

Comes around every Winter in the UK.

Feel sick, get the runs, 2 day late you're fine.

Not an apocalyptic virus by even the longest stretch of the imagination.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jameshawkings

Good lord- had no idea of the chemtrails link (although I should not be surprised...). If you have any papers, etc., will you respond so i can read them, or send them to me U@U? I'd like to read what you've found. I'll also look around and see if I can contribute more to that issue. Thank you for posting that!

C

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Kiwi- I envy you- I was down for some time. Did you do anything in particular to treat, or just gut it out (pun not intended...)?

If it's going to spread outside clinical settings, etc., i think it's important to have as much info as possible about it. I'm sure it's much harder on the elderly, people with poor immune systems, etc. I'd be interested in how it was handled where you worked, as well.

Thank you

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Federal Government experimenting on kids. This is what happens when you turn over your young ones to the Federal Government run out of Washington, DC. They will be treated as chattel for the elite to mess with and mold into compliant automatons who will carry out the Dear Leader's orders.

Generally, when the government tells a citizen to do something, the individual should not do that thing. Generally, the government is there to perpetuate itself not the individual.

Local governments must reject the Federal Department of Education and its army of criminals hell bent on experimenting on children. Shut down the Department of Education, fire all union teachers, and reconstitute schools as they should.

Did you ever seethe when watching the school board swivel around on their $2,000 chairs as thousands of kids get dumber? Those in the Department of Education believe themselves "Nobility of Education" and entitled to steal your tax money to buy fancy chairs for their parasitic behinds.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

What does this have to do with what is going on in Flagler County??

I have a few friends in Flagler and their kids were sick for a couple days and then they were fine. They arent treating it as anything big or suspicious, just a bug that was going around.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ewww. Not fun. I am still recovering from my bad bought of food poisoning from some shrimp I bought at the store. I will NEVER eat shrimp again.

Leafy greens? Ugg,. I am about to start the green smoothie diet and ordered my blendtec. Supposed to eat a lot of leafy greens. Will washing them prevent it ?

top topics

join