It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would a new Falklands war look like?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by superrat
Geez, this is sort of like asking who would win a boxing match between two nuns. The British are Euro-pussies who pretty much surrender at the first sign of trouble and the Argentinians are South Americans who are lucky if they can figure out which end of the gun to fire. Aside from it's comic potential, nothing to worry about.

I take offense to your post in many ways...

I've never personally known any Britt's to surrender. Second, aren't they presently fighting along side American Forces in Afghanistan and previously in Iraq?

And finally this GARBAGE here!

A battalion of US Marines would make short work of all of them in a couple of days.

It wouldn't take THAT long.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by superrat
Geez, this is sort of like asking who would win a boxing match between two nuns. The British are Euro-pussies who pretty much surrender at the first sign of trouble and the Argentinians are South Americans who are lucky if they can figure out which end of the gun to fire. Aside from it's comic potential, nothing to worry about.

A battalion of US Marines would make short work of all of them in a couple of days.

Well we the europeans do not have the need to flex our muscles..every time someone says boo, we have many other qualitys to take care of the threts..instead the americans they are so proud of their militarys capability to kill other peoples, im guessing thats telling something about you and your level..

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I recall reading that Baroness Thatcher (then PM Thatcher) considered attacking Buenos Aires/La Plata with nuclear weapons to end the war quickly and render the Argentine incapable of waging war for many a year.

Yes, I recall that and it makes me physically ill to think that such evil was even contemplated. But it was considered, and as a policy consideration it has had a long time to ferment in the minds of government and the military in U.K.

So what kind of war? Sad to say I expect it to be nuclear or possibly a war in which neutron bombs are used for the first time -- neutron bombs so as to leave the infrastructure in place but otherwise kill every living thing within its reach. (And on whose watch did that diabolical weapon of war become part of the USA's ready arsenal? ... Yes, Jimmy Carter's.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
neutron bombs so as to leave the infrastructure in place but otherwise kill every living thing within its reach. (And on whose watch did that diabolical weapon of war become part of the USA's ready arsenal? ... Yes, Jimmy Carter's.

Not true at all actually. Jimmy Carter STOPPED work on the neutron bomb, it was restarted under Reagan! news.bbc.co.uk...

No country has neutron bombs in their current nuclear arsenal, Three types of ERW were built by the United States.[4] The W66 warhead, for the anti-ICBM Sprint missile system, was produced and deployed in the mid 1970s and retired soon thereafter, along with the missile system. The W70 Mod 3 warhead was developed for the short-range, tactical Lance missile, and the W79 Mod 0 was developed for artillery shells. The latter two types were retired by President George H. W. Bush in 1992, following the end of the Cold War.[5][6] The last W70 Mod 3 warhead was dismantled in 1996,[7] and the last W79 Mod 0 was dismantled by 2003, when the dismantling of all W79 variants was completed.[8]
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
I recall reading that Baroness Thatcher (then PM Thatcher) considered attacking Buenos Aires/La Plata with nuclear weapons to end the war quickly and render the Argentine incapable of waging war for many a year.

Well yes, but in retrospect that could be considered rhetoric, or beating of the war drums to scare the begeebies out of the Argies, they considered them selves too far away for an attack... So we flew Vulcans (our nuke bomber at the time - it was an ageing fleet and almost out of service) on the longest ever bombing mission... It was conventional bombs used on a runway - but it made the point very well that we (brits) were capable of it.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
And finally this GARBAGE here!

It wouldn't take THAT long.

]

Also I'd rather the brits fighting - More of our boys will make it home! - The americans don't seem to be so fussed who they blow up

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

I thank you for that correction. That is the third thing I've gotten wrong today with regard to military history and I am more than a little befuddled.

(So I may chalk it up to parallel time lines) and thank God Jimmy Carter delayed this weapon authorisation in 1978.

Listening to the Evita wannabe in Buenos Aires, she is playing the worst sort of game with the Islands and the British. I wonder if Argentine children still start the school day chanting "!Las Malvinas son Argentinas!"... It only takes a generation or two that do not remember to fall into the same trap.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
m argentinian. I am a pilot. And I was an infantry officer.
I am really sad to say.
There is NO chance for us to even think in a war against ANYONE.
Our military has today only the power to sostain 3 minutes of fire. There are only 1 tank amunition by 4 tanks. Our heavier tank is the TAM , it´s a Marder 1 german apc with a 105mm gun.
Our air capabilities never beem so LOW. The FAA only has 3 mirage in order of combat. armed with matra magic air to air missile. ( 10 degree of aiming, and they go to the sun if its a bright day)
Only one Superthendard flying and i doubt we have any Exocet left.
The sea fleet can only sail with the line of coast because the obsolescence of the materials.
Infantry equipment isn´t better. We keep the same equipment that we use in 1982.
Anty air capabilite? boffors twin barrel 20mm cannons, and 2 or 3 rolland 1 misile sistem.
There is no CHANCE now in the 2010 to us. the argentinians to do anything about anything. Because, the worst enemy of Argentina is oursellfs.
There is no greatness in not knowing yourself and your capabilities. We could only defend our mainland doing asimetric warfare. Any argentinian who say that we have the capabilitie to fight british actual warfare don´t know anything about military themes.
Our military today is SO destroyed that only Infantry, cavalry, and artillery units do small arms firetrainings. ( 5 rounds per soldier by month) once an year the fire mortars and 20mm guns. Sometimes they fire other guns so they can make an advert.
We have STUPIDS in comand. They first finish our forces. and now, they talk about falklands? it´s so stupid that i can´t believe british are taking them seriusly.
Here the common people would say i am a not patriotic guy. That i am a traitor because i said this. But they will stay watchin Football on tv while I and my best friends are sent to a fight that is already lost.
A wining is a wining, and britain won the falklands war. Because they where better soldiers. Because i am an officer here, but i could have a chance against a british soldier. Because sadly we are not a fighting nation. We are a weak nation, a non industrial nation, we sold you sheeps and you sold us sweaters.
I really hope there is not a second falkland war. Because i had a bit of military training and I know what would happend.
The kirchner goverment is a bully goverment. That thinks that screaming and saying is the same that doing.
A second falkland war is lost for us, the argentinians, because we had already lost against our own criminal politicians.
BUT. I also don´t like british to be claiming we would nuke argentinian or things like that.
Because we can espect to argentinians to NOT understund about war. Because they got lucky and never got it on their streets.
But you british, more than anyone should have the responsabilitie to think what you say. It´s easy to say nuke argentina or Buenos Aires. But have you already forgoten about the V1, V2 rockets? Have you forgoten about the battle of britain? of how your civilian people felt when the germans bombed your cities? You should have taller thoughts. Argentina is Young and inexpert nation, it´s easy talking about fight when you are not going to fight.
But you british, yo are an ancient and powerfull nation, that had a lot of wars. And that in the 20th century discovered that your untouchable island, was very touchable. How can you talk with so much despite, when you should know what a city bombing is? or a real war looks like?
Those who know war, are the ones that most fear it.
I think, maybe, we argentinians have much to learn. But you also have much to remember.
To much time fight 3rd world countries. You forgot how war looks alike.
You forgot it. And we never learn it.
I hope you people understand my post. I tried to show why a war is IMPOSSIBLE. But also try to show. That we sometimes forgot the value of LIFE.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

What would a new Falklands war look like? Put simply this... as I think could boil over into a third world war the way the world is going today could be the straw that's breaks the camels back.I very much hope it will never happen again ,as far too much conflict in this world already.

For the freaks like me out there, watch the video from 14 to 18 seconds and you will see a fiery swimming squid devil type entity in the top of the cloud .

[edit on 22-2-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
with great power comes big responsability.
I would kill to prevent a nuclear blast in london. And i am argentinian. It´s sad to see, that a lot of mankind seem to like the idea.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by esco61

Great post thanks for replying

Enter Hugo Chavez

ATS Thread

If conflict breaks out, be sure Argentina will not be alone like it was back then."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Telegraph

I don't think Britain is gonna just hand over the Falklands to Argentina, I do think several more Latin American counties will align themselves with Argentina.

Argentina's military no longer uses conscription and there soldiers are more professional and better trained, but clearly in no shape to fight a war, but Chavez is more than ready, and this issue could unite South America against Britain.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by LDragonFire]

[edit on 22-2-2010 by LDragonFire]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by esco61

A very dignified and restrained post sir.
I hope you know that there has not been any mention over here what so ever of nukes. It would NEVER happen and if it was even contemplated, I am pretty sure that the population would march on Downing Street and over-throw the government ... it's just people getting a bit carried away on this forum.

We lost brave boys on both sides and I know that one of our war 'heroes' Simon Weston who was VERY badly burnt and disfigured is actually now friends with the guy who pressed the button that fired the missile that hurt him so badly.

As usual - there is no issue between the people of Argentina and the UK .. it's the bloody politics!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join