It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Simple Anti-Gravity Experiment?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Here is a simple experiment that you can do. Go to radio shack and purchase some round magnets. Next go to your local hardware store and buy some aluminum pipe that is a little larger than the magnets. Hold the pipe perpendicular to the ground and drop a stone, and metal ball bearing through the aluminum pipe. Next drop the Iron magnet through the pipe and count how long it takes. You will be very surprised. If aluminum is not magnetic, why did the magnet take longer to pass through it? Did the pipe get warm?
Next, buy some donut shaped magnets from Radio Shack (or use the ones from the earlier experiment). This next part will require some welding (JB won’t work) Go to the local hardware store and buy some threaded brass stock (maybe Aluminum will work) and same sized nuts. Cut the threaded bar stock into 3 separate, six to 12 inch lengths. Weld 2 of those pieces together in the middle so that an even amount will protrude from each side. Holding the now X shaped in a horizontal position, weld the third piece, vertically, in the middle. You now have “X,Y and Z planes. Next, place the donut shaped magnets over the threaded bar, In Opposition To Each Other. Yes, your going to squeeze the oppsite poles of the magnets together. If your magnets stick together, then your putting them on the WRONG way. Fill up all of the sides with opposing magnets. WARNING, WEAR EYE PROTECTION! Now place one bolt on each pole and tighten down. Some magnets MAY destabilize and fracture apart. WARNING, WEAR EYE PROTECTION! Tighten the bolts down so that all of the magnets touch together. Next find a 4-story building and go to the 4th floor. Drop a rock and the anti-gravity device at the same time. Which one lands first? According to Newtonian law. Both should land together. What just happened?
Here are some Youtube links:
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Now think out of the box. What if you had a magnet in the shape of a ring, and placed it inside a tubular ringed magnet. Then pump liquid aluminum, or magnesium, through the pipe in one direction and spin the inner magnetic ring or outer magnet
in the opposite direction. What do you think would happen?
Interesting enough, aluminum and magnesium slag has been found at some paranormal sights.
Please star and flag if you found this interesting.
Thank you.
Violater1 out.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The vacuum has, implicitly, all of the properties that a particle may have: spin, or polarization in the case of light, energy, and so on. On average, all of these properties cancel out: the vacuum is, after all, "empty" in this sense. One important exception is the vacuum energy or the vacuum expectation value of the energy. The quantization of a simple harmonic oscillator states that the lowest possible energy or zero-point energy that such an oscillator may have is

[E] = \begin[matrix] \frac[1][2] \end[matrix] \hbar \omega \ .

Summing over all possible oscillators at all points in space gives an infinite quantity. To remove this infinity, one may argue that only differences in energy are physically measurable; this argument is the underpinning of the theory of renormalization. In all practical calculations, this is how the infinity is always handled. In a deeper sense, however, renormalization is unsatisfying, and the removal of this infinity presents a challenge in the search for a Theory of Everything. Currently there is no compelling explanation for how this infinity should be treated as essentially zero; a non-zero value is essentially the cosmological constant and any large value causes trouble in cosmology.

There are few instances wherein the Casimir effect can give rise to repulsive forces between uncharged objects. In a seminal paper, Evgeny Lif#z showed (theoretically) that in certain circumstances (most commonly involving liquids), repulsive forces can arise. This has sparked interest in applications of the Casimir effect toward the development of levitating devices.

EDIT: Apparently there's a censorship filter here than doesn't like Mr. Evgeny Lifsh1tz's last name.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Crito]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You are not accounting for air resistance between your device and the rock. It is only once air resistance is removed from the equation that both will drop at the same rate of speed.
I don’t know if this is the only factor that is coming into play, as I have not performed your suggested experiment, but you must take all factors into consideration before performing such an experiment.
Have you yourself performed this experiment? If so video and pictures would be nice if others are going to try your suggested experiment, to be sure they are performing the experiment conditions correctly. If you have not, you should always perform an experiment first before asking others to do so, so you can verify the results.

Also take note that before dropping anything from any building that you first have permission from the building owner, and second that you make certain to block off the area so that no by passers will be harmed during the experiment.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

The experiment is simple and the outcome is repeatable and blatantly obvious.
There are some YouTube videos the display the Aluminum pipe and magnet experiment.
Thank you.
Violater1 out.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage

Also take note that before dropping anything from any building that you first have permission from the building owner, and second that you make certain to block off the area so that no by passers will be harmed during the experiment.

Absolutely! I Agree!
Furthermore, have your attorney draw up non-disclosure and hazards conditions contract to be signed by all of the above.
Check with the local government on the use of anti-gravity experiments and always apply for the necessary permits. Notify the FAA and monitor NOAA for any adverse weather conditions
Additionally, have the local Fire Department, Haz-Mat Teams and Paramedics on scene to respond to any complications.
And Always, Always, wear your tin foil hat.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The experiment does not demonstrate antigravity, it demonstrates Lenz's law. The movement of the magnet through the aluminum tube produces a electric field within the aluminum. Which resists the movement of the magnet. This occurs with any electrical conductor, including copper.

"An induced current is always in such a direction as to oppose the motion or change causing it"

www.launc.tased.edu.au...

[edit on 2/19/2010 by Phage]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
eh, never mind. better minds beat me to it.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yep,
On experiment #1 that's right.
But not on experiment #2.
But the last one that I cannot do, makes me wonder what the outcome will be.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Easy! the welded thing will go slower, because of it's SHAPE. What is a rock? Usually, ROUNDED. No matter how rough, a rock is usually of the 'round' category (unless you wanna be a smart alec and split hairs). the contraption you described is anything but round, it has stuff stuck out at angles, and will actually catch the air more than the rock.

Who the heck did you get these ideas from.....?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I am not giving any scientific credence to your ideas in experiments #2 or 3, but if your need a liquid electrical conductor for experiment #3, why not use mercury? It is a liquid at room temperature. You may also want to investigate the possibility of spinning the mercury instead of the magnets, that is what the Nazi scientists were supposed to have done with their, 'bell' experiments in anti-gravity. I am not saying that your experiments will be a waste of time, just that the outcomes may not be what you are hoping for.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

Easy! the welded thing will go slower, because of it's SHAPE. What is a rock? Usually, ROUNDED. No matter how rough, a rock is usually of the 'round' category (unless you wanna be a smart alec and split hairs). the contraption you described is anything but round, it has stuff stuck out at angles, and will actually catch the air more than the rock.

Yupp!
Just like you can wind up newspaper tightly to form a projectile, or you can make it into a paper airplane that generates lift!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I believe YouTube has video of Experiment #2, or it is located on other websites.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat

Both the rock and the magnetic device produce NO Lift!, The drag is also insegnificant.
Please review Newtonian Law. The results will negate the need of a vacuum.
If your concerned about the shape, just make two of these. But use metal washers on the second device.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
reply to post by butcherguy

I believe YouTube has video of Experiment #2, or it is located on other websites.

If so a link to the video would be nice.

Please post it if you've got it.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Both the rock and the magnetic device produce NO Lift!, The drag is also insegnificant.
Please review Newtonian Law. The results will negate the need of a vacuum.

You seem to not understand air resistance and its effect on such experiments.

If your concerned about the shape, just make two of these. But use metal washers on the second device.

Filling the device with washers will not work because it will alter the weight of the device, washers filled device would weigh more than magnet filled device, in most cases. What you would want to do to prove whether or not air resistance was affecting the experiment would be to check the weight of the magnet filled device and have another device that was filled to a similar weight with something else.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Boyd Bushman is the originator of experiment number 1 and 2.

For experiment number 2 he bolted 2 neodymium magnets together either north pole to north pole or south pole to south pole, I do not know which.

He placed the device inside a fake rock and took another fake rock with an equivalent mass and dropped them both from a high area in a Lockheed building he worked at.

Time after time the rock with the 2 magnets bolted together fell slower than the other rock.

In regards to experiment 1 I do wonder if something more was going on there. I am familiar with the Lenz's law explanation but I find it interesting that Extended Heim Theory posits that a fast moving mass near a strong magnetic field will create artificial gravitational fields.

The McCandlish ARV had an aluminum flywheel just above the large central magnetic solenoid coil.

It's possible that the falling magnet is not moving nearly fast enough and that there are no artificial gravitational fields being created at all and the effect is entirely due to Lenz's law but I do wonder if there was something more to that experiment.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobbox1980

He placed the device inside a fake rock and took another fake rock with an equivalent mass and dropped them both from a high area in a Lockheed building he worked at.

This does make more sense.
Do you have a link to a video that we could view? That would be much appreciated.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
air resistance on the first, and even if teh second has nothing to do with resistance, is no one else sick of people mistaking magnetism for anti-gravity? if it falls slower, it's not because it's negating gravitational force, it's because the magnets are pulling or pushing some of the mass in opposite directions. that's not anti-gravity... that's like filling one balloon with water and the other with helium and claiming anti-grav technology in the helium filled balloon.

I'm not a non-believer in ET or FTL travel or even anti-grav technology... but PLEASE stop with all of this magnetism=anti-grav bunk. Until you find a way to make gravitational forces stop applying themselves to something, not just counteracting gravitational forces....

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbox1980
Boyd Bushman is the originator of experiment number 1 and 2.

For experiment number 2 he bolted 2 neodymium magnets together either north pole to north pole or south pole to south pole, I do not know which.

Time after time the rock with the 2 magnets bolted together fell slower than the other rock.

In regards to experiment 1 I do wonder if something more was going on there. I am familiar with the Lenz's law explanation but I find it interesting that Extended Heim Theory posits that a fast moving mass near a strong magnetic field will create artificial gravitational fields.

The McCandlish ARV had an aluminum flywheel just above the large central magnetic solenoid coil.

It's possible that the falling magnet is not moving nearly fast enough and that there are no artificial gravitational fields being created at all and the effect is entirely due to Lenz's law but I do wonder if there was something more to that experiment.

You sir are brilliant. You have postulated and provided evidence on the very theory I conject!
A well earned star to you!
A

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiterabbit85
air resistance on the first, and even if teh second has nothing to do with resistance, is no one else sick of people mistaking magnetism for anti-gravity? if it falls slower, it's not because it's negating gravitational force, it's because the magnets are pulling or pushing some of the mass in opposite directions. that's not anti-gravity... that's like filling one balloon with water and the other with helium and claiming anti-grav technology in the helium filled balloon.

I'm not a non-believer in ET or FTL travel or even anti-grav technology... but PLEASE stop with all of this magnetism=anti-grav bunk. Until you find a way to make gravitational forces stop applying themselves to something, not just counteracting gravitational forces....

I'm sorry sir, but I could not get past the first paragraph of your babble.
I am interested in your opinion, but please, try to make some sense of it all first. Then place your thought to the keyboard.
Violater1 out.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join