It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Mental afflictions too CRAZY to believe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeanvaljean
reply to post by silo13

Anyway, I have to admit I was tempted once or twice to sneak up on him but never did.

I also apologise to all the jumping Frenchmen of Maine. The above quote triggered my own, as yet undiscovered, helpless laughter syndrome.

I didn't include this in my original list because 10 seemed such a nice round number but, since you brought it up...

Pathological Laughing and Weeping

This patient suffered from a condition known variously as emotional lability, pseudobulbar affect, emotional incontinence, and pathological laughing and weeping. While little known outside the neurological community, it’s surprisingly common, affecting as many as 10% of patients with multiple sclerosis, 15% of patients with Alzheimer’s, and up to 49% of patients with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). It can also affect patients with stroke, head trauma, epilepsy, or almost any other condition that seriously affects the neurological system. It is characterized by uncontrollable laughing or crying without underlying feelings of amusement or sadness.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I didn't include this in my original list because 10 seemed such a nice round number but, since you brought it up...

Thankfully, there's a way to recognise the real deal:
"without underlying happiness".
Phew...
It's amazing though. There seems to be a syndrome for everything.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
The Unburdeoned Mind is describing your average sociopath. I fit the description. SO do many very prominent people(most CEO or high ranking corporate officials, Bill Clinton ranks out as a sociopath, so does GWB, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods....)

We are everywhere

Me too, baby...psychopath/antisocial-personality-disorder over here...I think the OP is perhaps a little unfamiliar with actual psychopathic folk...another way to describe it, the "diagnosis", in my case for example, is that people tend to want to be my friend and I can almost always work wonders with whatever random material is laying around in whatever new room I wind up in...Ain't life grand?

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Ha ha.

Total perspective vortex.

I think this happened to me once. It told me everything that I expected. That I'm the most important person in the galaxy.

[edit on 18-2-2010 by LazarusLong]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Now my family and I have a thing about circle clusters. It freaks us out and gives us the heebe jeebies.

For me, if you make microwave macaroni and cheese, all the noodles turn on their end in the microwave. Totally creeps me out. Upon researching, found it is not as uncommon as you think.

I wonder hwo many people have these disorders that are undiagnosed?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Here's one that's really funny.

Some guy's wife cries at the end of every movie she watches. Her loving husband thought is was so funny, he created a webpage about his wife which includes videos of her crying after various movies.

You guys gotta check out this website and click on some of the videos.

My wife has some of the funniest reactions to movies that you’ll ever see! No, she doesn’t think they’re real and she’s normal in other situations, but a movie with a happy or sad ending catches her heart and produces some of the funniest commentaries ever! After we watched the entire Star Wars saga, she was so moved by Vader’s choice to move back to the light side that she cried tears of joy for about 25 minutes! The best part was her concern for R2D2! Being a loving husband, I of course grabbed our camera and shot the whole thing

Her empathetic movie reactions are nothing new. I remember when we were dating and she cried after the movie Elf! She broke down when the dad began singing “Santa Clause is Coming to Town” with the rest of the community. I thought it was not only funny, but really cute too! It amazes me that someone can become so emotionally invested in a character and plot line.

Read more and check out the vids:Crying Wife.com

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the laughs, Aeons and The Wave.

There is a great book by the neurologisit Oliver Sacks regarding people exhibiting a raft of behavioural eccentricities owing to neurological deficits. It's an amazing book, although some cases are quite sad.

It's called The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

My wife is a hat

Similarly, Vilayanur Ramachandran is a medical doctor and neuroscientist who gave a great series of lectures that are available on the BBC website concerning neurological deficits and our growing understanding of the brain and how it influences our behaviour and shapes our identity. There are five lectures in total. All are worth listening to.

Brilliant BBC lectures

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
"the first symptoms are extremely vivid dreams of lost motor function or physical control."

I've had a few of them dreams... probably just fluke.. i hope.

I think it was something to do with me showing someone what i could do with Chi though.

Some of those illnesses are quite extraordinary.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thebluevalentine

I have also come across this mental disorder of a strong desire, and in some, all out 'need' to amputate a perfectly normal, healthy limb.. its very strange... Having been in the world of kink and fetishism for a long while now, i have met many people, both males and females who either have the desire to have a limb removed, or in some, it is a fetish where a person seeks out amputees..in many cases it seems doing so results in obsessive, even stalker-like behaviours..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join