It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia unveils new nuclear doctrine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Russia unveils new nuclear doctrine

beta.thehindu.com

“Russia reserves the right to use nuclear weapons in response to the use of nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction against it and its allies, as well as an aggression against the Russian Federation with the use of conventional weapons jeopardising the very existence of the state”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
"Lowering the threshhold for the use of nuclear weapons, Russia has said it reserves the right to hit back with nukes in case of an aggression, in a new doctrine which may be a veiled warning to China and rising NATO powers."

Why this sudden change? Are they preparing for some thing? Something is not right. I see lots of defense deals and military - military co-operation in 2010 than recent past years. Is this just a regular brush-ups or warm-ups for bigger tasks?

beta.thehindu.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This nuclear doctrine is only a deterrence. It seems rather tame, given what went on in Georgia a few years back and with Nato making inroads with former Soviet satellite states. Then with the US and its attempts to put defense systems in Eastern Europe.

Plus, the US has a military presence in another former Soviet sphere of interest, and that being Central Asia. So, it is only a means to show the West and possibly China that if they try something militarily against the Russian Federation it will result in serious consequences for all involved.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Really guys? Isn't this obvious considering the fact that they aren't just going to let their nukes sit their for a museum...same goes for the U.S.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what "doctrine" any given nuclear power adopts. Humans will decide whether or not to use nukes, and humans are not rational actors who operate, computer-like, according to some doctrinal algorithm. It only takes one moment to "press the button," and once pressed, it cannot be un-pressed.

Frankly I'm shocked (in a good way) that no nuclear bombs have been used in war for 65 years. Its far more credit that I ever gave humanity. Sadly, I doubt the record will hold for another 65 years.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I totally agree with whatever you said.

My question is why now? What is the necessity? Whats the new threat ? The threat that exists now has always existed.

la2

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Its not a warning to China, they are very close allies, its a blatant warning to the USA, it now gives Russia the right to defend Iran, Help China if all out war breaks out with the US, and if need be could include any country Russia see's as an ally.

The Russians are preparing for American agression against them .

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_spark
reply to post by silent thunder

I totally agree with whatever you said.

My question is why now? What is the necessity? Whats the new threat ? The threat that exists now has always existed.

I'm in basic agreement with la2 in the post immediately above.

I think it probably has to do with rumbles in the Middle East and Central Asia. From Syria to Israel to Iran, there have been been some signs of stirrings on all sides recently.

I can also see at least the potential of Russia-China-Iran energy alliance taking hazy shape. In Central Asia Uzbekistan is particularly crucial (fronting the Caspian sea), particularly unstable, and particularly under-reported. Although peak oil talk has gone out of fashion since petroleum prices pulled back a bit from their blistering highs in '08, there are some signals that prices may be headed back up, despite a soft global economy. Perhaps Russia is just preparing itself for what look to be choppier waters ahead. All speculation on my part, of course.

[edit on 2/7/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by la2

I agree.
Russia is basically telling the US

'' any attack on one of our allies will be considered an attack on the Russia State, and a retaliatory strike will be assured ''

Famous words.. who said them again?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by la2

I agree.

'' any attack on one of our allies will be considered an attack on the Russia State, and a retaliatory strike will be assured ''

Famous words.. who said them again?

Sounds like Kennedy during the Cuban missle crisis, am I right? It might also be the Monroe Doctrine, although the diction sounds more 20th-century than early-19th century.

So do I win a cupie doll?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Was there ever any question that Russia would use nukes either in the event of WMD being used against them or the very state of Russia being endangered? I think every other country with nukes has this exact same policy, can you tell me the US wouldn't use nukes if the state was endangered?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Have you got a list as to who are Russia's military allies. Most countries sitting on Russia's borders would prefer to be somewhere else, as far as I can make out!

Regards

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Thats a good question. Does any one have a list? I dont think allies means the countries with bi-lateral trade agreement. Could it be the BRIC nations? Then I have to take out China from the list since they have border conflict. I would really like to know who the allies are.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The term "Russia's allies" does is not meant to refer to any country in particular at the present, but rather to be interpreted in the future. Indeed currently there are no clear cut alliances at the moment. If I had to name any, then Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Armenia loosely fall within that realm (in terms of military alliance, not just economic).

This "new" doctrine really shouldn't be over interpretted since it is not technically new. The only change is that it has been made official. This is likely related to ongoing efforts to reform and restructure Russia's armed forces and defense ministries.

In practice the doctrine isn't really different from that of the US, however US chooses to keep it's doctrine less detailed and largely unpublicized for political reasons.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by maloy]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Thats true, Some countries on Russia's border despise them. Rightfully so.
But some countries love them.

Ie, Venezuela, Iran, Georgia..

Im pretty sure when the cards are down, Russia will 'chose' its allies just to be in conflict with the US.

My worry?
China and Russa together trump all.
They' are like suited jacks in euchre.
All you need is the Ace (Iran V Israel) and the King (South America V North America ) and youve got a winning hand NO MATTER WHAT!

America has lost the plot internally, its economic is shot to crappery and the future looks rather iffy.

top topics

join