It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can I expect to see in the civilian world?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Good deal...you're right about the security clearance...my buddy was sort of a "super-soldier" and highly-decorated...he was always an over-achiever...even when we were kids...played both offense and defense in football...had a double-major in college...couldn't just be Airborne, also had go and learn to jump out of choppers too !!! LOL !!!

Anyway...electricians do very nicely...so do plumbers...definitely join a union though...otherwise it will be tough to get work...and I was serious about joining a "secret society" too...they're just glorified fraternities for old men and they will hook you up big time...

Sometimes I wish I went the military route instead of getting an education...college is for suckers like me who listened to their parents instead of themselves...I have over 20 yrs of education from world-class universities...I have over 10 diplomas and professional certificates hanging on the walls and yet I'm struggling to make ends meet...whatever...

Well...best of luck soldier !!!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Stop Loss:
Secrity Clearances while on Active Duty, you unit will not just process a clearance for you on request, you have to be working in a MOS that requires security clearance and access to resticted areas.

Ethnicity: If you are of a ethenic background ie AA, or hispanic then your prior service and race will work for you in both applications for educational support and potential employment with the federal and state government.

Prince Albert Hall is one of the main Freemason organizations for AA and they do weld a lot of influence and will support prior service.. Nothing is free in this world and associating with them will incurr obligations.

When reading others post remember this .. for sure it is a tough world out there and its not for the weak of heart or the dull witted! As there are failures there are successes too. Precisely which carreer field is for you..no one but you can choose that. Listen to your inner heart and follow it through. I may not be easy but anything is possible if you dont quit on yourself.

As per governemnt contracting, if you have a skill that a contracting company wants they will sponsor your security request, with prior service and your where abouts accounted for you should be able to get an interim in 3 months. KBR is one of the largest contractors for skill tradesmen.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by jbmitch]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

thank you for the advice jbmitch. I will add you as a friend so that incase I should ever forget the process of being successful I will come to you and seek wisdom in fields that I might not be familiar with. you are a true hero in my book.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Are you sure Army is such a bad choice?

I mean you have guarantied job at least.

And when i was in the army we had few ex US soldiers teaching us some of the techniques used in combat (they had really really good paycheck here). so maybe you should go their way - after 7 years of combat you have many skills that you can teach soldiers in other countries.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinamo
Are you sure Army is such a bad choice?

I mean you have guarantied job at least.

And when i was in the army we had few ex US soldiers teaching us some of the techniques used in combat (they had really really good paycheck here). so maybe you should go their way - after 7 years of combat you have many skills that you can teach soldiers in other countries.

Thanks for the reply. I feel like I am being held back by the army and I know as long as I stay in I can never reach my full potential. Though life in the army is easier then the civilian life, I must overcome my fears of unemployment and have absolute freedom that I couldn't have in the military, not that there is much freedom to begin with but its still better then what I have now. All the wisdom I possess has been passed on to my lower level ranks and will take my place in teaching the new generation of soldiers. Id say my time here will come to an end.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Reading your responses I got a feeling that you are too inteligent or you might call it "creative" to belong in army ( no disrespect to soldiers - i was one of them so even my enemy gets respect from me) so freedom of choice is what you are looking for if i'm right.

i wish you best luck you can get in your civilian life.
and if some close minded people attack you for being a ex soldier (i had this problem once i went civilian), ignore them. they will once realize what brave job you have done.

p.s. respect for wanting to go back to school. i did that and it turned my life so.... best wishes

i'm senile in my late 20's haha
i forgot to ask if it's not rude or top secret - what part of military you belong?

me - infantry - cleaning other people mess first

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Dinamo]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dinamo

Reading your responses I got a feeling that you are too inteligent or you might call it "creative" to belong in army ( no disrespect to soldiers - i was one of them so even my enemy gets respect from me) so freedom of choice is what you are looking for if i'm right.

i wish you best luck you can get in your civilian life.
and if some close minded people attack you for being a ex soldier (i had this problem once i went civilian), ignore them. they will once realize what brave job you have done.

p.s. respect for wanting to go back to school. i did that and it turned my life so.... best wishes

i'm senile in my late 20's haha
i forgot to ask if it's not rude or top secret - what part of military you belong?

me - infantry - cleaning other people mess first

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Dinamo]

Exactly. After fighting for freedom for so long I forgot how freedoms feels like. If I make a mistake I will learn from its effects but in the army I screw up but still don't get fired just reduce in pay depending on offense. I am a 13B(field artillery) think of us as mechanized infantry
. I also feel like I age quicker being in the army and me being in my mid 20's I look older then most of the other troops. In the end I will gain knowledge in the civilian sector and use what I have learned from my mistakes in the military so that I won't repeat history in failure. $tar for you friend.

Edit: God damn spelling.

[edit on 10-2-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

"thank you for the advice jbmitch. I will add you as a friend so that incase I should ever forget the process of being successful I will come to you and seek wisdom in fields that I might not be familiar with. you are a true hero in my book."

Very kind words..SL..anyone that has done their "hard time" is a friend of mine!..I'm embedded with a Army unit and work with them daily...
The "military" is something you have to experience to appreciate.
you can u2u me anytime if you need anymore help..

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbmitch

"thank you for the advice jbmitch. I will add you as a friend so that incase I should ever forget the process of being successful I will come to you and seek wisdom in fields that I might not be familiar with. you are a true hero in my book."

Very kind words..SL..anyone that has done their "hard time" is a friend of mine!..I'm embedded with a Army unit and work with them daily...
The "military" is something you have to experience to appreciate.
you can u2u me anytime if you need anymore help..

Sure thing
and maybe next time ill be out of Iraq and into the states with a few months left.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Could be! I got 25 days till R&R woot! Drop me a line when you get back.!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jbmitch

Of course, though I wonder if I will get in trouble with the police when I get back for most of the stuff I post here. Looks like im in for an interesting time when I arrive to the states.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join