It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Advice Regarding Ghost Or Mist-Like Entity Caught On Camera

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
You better hook us up with it after so much suspense!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romans 10:9
You better hook us up with it after so much suspense!

I will, I promise.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm too eager to show you guys, so here it is. Sorry to have kept you in suspense. Like I said, I don't know what constitutes a definitive photograph of the unexplained, but I hope the following is it...

First off, the picture I took less than a minute after of the exact same spot;

And the first picture, where there was nothing before, and there, on the LCD display was this structured mist thing staring back where there was no mist at all. Please bear in mind that the spot exactly where this mist had been was unnaturally cold, yet further up and down the track, not so cold. Let me know what you think;

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

That is cool that you shared that with us. since there was snow on the ground, I would assume near 32 degrees ambient temp. Is it possible that what your picture shows is the frozen vapor of your breath? It seems possible that you exhaled at the exact time you released the shudder. I hate to look at it as such a skeptic, but that is what I see. good luck and thanks again for sharing with us.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

That is cool that you shared that with us. since there was snow on the ground, I would assume near 32 degrees ambient temp. Is it possible that what your picture shows is the frozen vapor of your breath? It seems possible that you exhaled at the exact time you released the shudder. I hate to look at it as such a skeptic, but that is what I see. good luck and thanks again for sharing with us.

I didn't exhale on releasing the shutter. What you can see is a good 7-10 ft away from the camera. Had it been my breath exhaling whilst taking the picture, then you would be able to trace it back to where I am standing. I can assure you, as can my partner who was standing right next to me, there was absolutely no mist in front of us when I took the picture.

So, as much as I would love for your explanation to be true, I'm afraid it isn't.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights

Originally posted by network dude

I didn't exhale on releasing the shutter. What you can see is a good 7-10 ft away from the camera. Had it been my breath exhaling whilst taking the picture, then you would be able to trace it back to where I am standing. I can assure you, as can my partner who was standing right next to me, there was absolutely no mist in front of us when I took the picture.

So, as much as I would love for your explanation to be true, I'm afraid it isn't.

Thanks.

Well my opinion is slightly different but unfortunately I don't think it's paranormal (although obviously not being there to sense the atmosphere I can't be 100% certain).

I can see from the photograph that there is snow on the ground so the ground is obviously frozen ... however, I agree with you that the anomoly is too far away to be an exhalation of either yours or your partners breath.

But looking at the sky it's clear and sunny which means the air will be warmer than the ground ... and I believe it is vapour from the ground being heated by the warmer air.

As I said before ... without being there, I can only go with what the picture tells me ... and as someone who has her own paranormal investigation team ... the golden rule that I drill into my team is to always look for a logical explanation ... before accepting the paranormal explanation.

Sorry it wasn't what you hoped it was but keep your camera handy, you never know when you might really catch something.

Woody

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

So, how do you explain the fact that I took the picture as it was a clear view along the path and unobscured by any mist, etc? There was no mist visible whatsoever to the naked eye.

Also, when we walked down through the spot where the mist can be seen, the exact spot was several degrees colder than the spot before and further on from it. The area on the ground where there is snow is not directly exposed to sunlight. There was also no wind or breeze - it was a completely still day. And I might also add, the second picture shows no mist where the first picture the mist is visible, less than one minute apart.

Also, can you explain to me why the mist has 'structure' to it, when other pictures I have taken where there was mist present, and it was visible, it is clearly diffuse in form?

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Hey, Good question. This link will tell you exactly what ATS or anyone else can and cannot do with anything you post on this website.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

basically, anything you post on here, is your property. But if you post it here, you give permission to ATS to copy or distribute it as they like, so long as they give due credit to the owner... You.

ATS, does not own it and will never try to claim ownership of anything you post. I hope that clarifies things for you.

I am a little late to the show I know, but just wanted to post this so you would know and not worry.

[edit on 30-1-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thanks, that's really useful.

I've had two interesting possible explanations, but I still have a number of questions as to what this is. (See above...)

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

It appears to me that you photographed mist that is forming as the sun heats up the damp air near ground level. Having spent over 40 years working in the outdoors, I've seen this many times. On the other hand, you took a really cool photograph and I hope you continue posting anything else you think may contain something paranormal. Thanks for sharing this one with us!

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Please don't be upset ... I'm not dismissing the picture out of hand, I am simply giving you a logical explanation from my own perspective of the photograph you provided ... and unfortunately that is the perspective of someone who was not on the spot when you took the picture.

Have you been in touch with Internos yet ... he will be able to provide a much better (expert), opinion than me ... really he will.

But surely you must see that it would be wrong of me to say that there is definately something paranormal in the photograph, when I genuinely don't think there is.

When you mention 'structure' what exactly do you mean ... what is it that you see yourself when you look at the vapour anomoly ?

Again I'm really sorry but I have seen many pictures like this ... is the vapour a paranormal manifestation ... I very much doubt it ... but I could be wrong.

Woody

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Logic would suggest some kind of condensation effect caused by the position of the sun, temp, and camera lens. However, when all those things are reasoned out-you are left with an implausible answer, as to the true nature of the mist. Also, what intrigues me is that the mist is more centralised within the photo. It seems to have almost an intelligence to it. Normally, mist would not be seen so globule in a relative short space of time.

The scientist in me has looked at all the plausible explanations, but the experienced (with regards to the paranormal) in me suggests that this could have been some kind of paranormal event. Obvious questions from sceptics would be from the above logic questions that I posed. However, I find that it is unusual. What about the photo before it? Did you get a shot of the area, prior to the photo? If nothing was seen in the before and after shots, and no mist was seen with the naked eye. Then, I am hedging my bets on it is a paranormal event. In which case, I would do research on the area where the photograph was taken to see if there is any connection to what you have encountered.

Even when I experience a paranormal event; I always check into the history of the location of the encounter. (i.e. I went to our local muesem and encountered a woman in period clothing thinking it was a staff member. To be told by the staff that I must be mistaken, only to have done the research to find that I did encounter a solid apparition of a woman that had been seen in not so solid, as I had seen her). I know my experiences are valid to me, but I have found that you can find some people on forums want more answers, rather than offer suggestions. However, ATS has the highest standard of members compared to some forums related to this kind of phenomena.

My opinion and experience can only offer a few clues and suggestions;however, as you are familiar with the area, you may be able to find more information about it at your reference library, or on the internet. I would google 'strange mists'. However, on some sights devoted to the paranormal-some would suggest that it is an ectoplasm of some sort, after ruling out all the plausible alternatives.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well I just saved it and sold it to guy I know that buys these types of pictures!
no just kidding but "great pic" $&f thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is the photo with the mist brighter? It could just be my eyes, though...but if it is brighter, that means the flash might of been on, which could possibly mean (I'm definitely not a camera expert, so I wouldn't know) the light from the flash refracted in the mist, rendering it visible in the photo. That's just my guess, though...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn

It appears to me that you photographed mist that is forming as the sun heats up the damp air near ground level. Having spent over 40 years working in the outdoors, I've seen this many times. On the other hand, you took a really cool photograph and I hope you continue posting anything else you think may contain something paranormal. Thanks for sharing this one with us!

Hey, you're welcome!

That's an interesting explanation, but even so, the thing that was most startling was the fact that there was no visible mist when the picture was taken. Also, what discounts the mist forming when the sun heats the damp air was the fact that the patch of ground below where the mist appears was in shade and the only patches of ground exposed to sunlight are on the peripheral extremities of the image. I might also add that this was during the deep freeze here, so the sun wasn't having much success creating mist. Having said that, I will concede that about a half mile further down the track there was visible mist. However, this mist was blanketing and diffuse, unlike this mist formation, which had definite structure and form to it, and was not visible to the naked eye.

You say you have 40 years working in the outdoors where you've seen this many times. I presume you must have photographic evidence of this exact same thing - mist with structure to it that is not visible to the naked eye. Can you show me your evidence?

Thanks!

[edit on 7-2-2010 by the.lights]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

Please don't be upset ... I'm not dismissing the picture out of hand, I am simply giving you a logical explanation from my own perspective of the photograph you provided ... and unfortunately that is the perspective of someone who was not on the spot when you took the picture.

Have you been in touch with Internos yet ... he will be able to provide a much better (expert), opinion than me ... really he will.

But surely you must see that it would be wrong of me to say that there is definately something paranormal in the photograph, when I genuinely don't think there is.

When you mention 'structure' what exactly do you mean ... what is it that you see yourself when you look at the vapour anomoly ?

Again I'm really sorry but I have seen many pictures like this ... is the vapour a paranormal manifestation ... I very much doubt it ... but I could be wrong.

Woody

Absolutely!

I have not been in touch with Internos so I don't have his perspective on this. Of course, having not been there at the time, I appreciate that we have the unique perspective of being able to put what we captured in context - for example, how can something with structure and unusual form appear in a photographic image where nothing is actually visible to the naked eye?

We'll have to beg to differ in opinion. I have pretty much exhausted all logical explanation for what I captured, and whilst I concede that some weird anomalous behaviour in the science or physics of mist and its interplay with light might potentially explain away what this is, once that has been ruled out, the only other possible explanation I can draw from this - having been present at the scene and only 10-12 ft. from this thing that was not visible to the naked eye - is that I have captured something truly unusual, if not extraordinary.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by rachel07

Logic would suggest some kind of condensation effect caused by the position of the sun, temp, and camera lens. However, when all those things are reasoned out-you are left with an implausible answer, as to the true nature of the mist. Also, what intrigues me is that the mist is more centralised within the photo. It seems to have almost an intelligence to it. Normally, mist would not be seen so globule in a relative short space of time.

The scientist in me has looked at all the plausible explanations, but the experienced (with regards to the paranormal) in me suggests that this could have been some kind of paranormal event. Obvious questions from sceptics would be from the above logic questions that I posed. However, I find that it is unusual. What about the photo before it? Did you get a shot of the area, prior to the photo? If nothing was seen in the before and after shots, and no mist was seen with the naked eye. Then, I am hedging my bets on it is a paranormal event. In which case, I would do research on the area where the photograph was taken to see if there is any connection to what you have encountered.

Even when I experience a paranormal event; I always check into the history of the location of the encounter. (i.e. I went to our local muesem and encountered a woman in period clothing thinking it was a staff member. To be told by the staff that I must be mistaken, only to have done the research to find that I did encounter a solid apparition of a woman that had been seen in not so solid, as I had seen her). I know my experiences are valid to me, but I have found that you can find some people on forums want more answers, rather than offer suggestions. However, ATS has the highest standard of members compared to some forums related to this kind of phenomena.

My opinion and experience can only offer a few clues and suggestions;however, as you are familiar with the area, you may be able to find more information about it at your reference library, or on the internet. I would google 'strange mists'. However, on some sights devoted to the paranormal-some would suggest that it is an ectoplasm of some sort, after ruling out all the plausible alternatives.

Thank you for your excellent, considered and intelligent reply.

This was perhaps the most startling thing about the photograph. The mist was centralised in the middle of the frame and as you can clearly see, it has form, structure to it almost. The digital display on my Canon SLR showed this immediately and both of us were rendered speechless with shock, because there was simply no visible mist in front of us.

I am really impressed with your analysis of the facts and evidence I have presented here - the fact that you have looked at it with a reasoned, logical and scientific perspective before looking at it from a paranormal perspective. That once you ruled out all the explainable elements, you then looked again at the unexplainable. As you rightly point out, the globular structure and form to the mist is highly unusual - I am not familiar with invisible mist that appears in photographs, or mist that is invisible to the naked eye, but visible in digital imagery. As far as I know, this just doesn't happen, although I could be wrong.

In answer to your questions; I did not get a shot of the area prior to the photograph. We came down a path through the woods and into this mystical lane. I took the picture because it was such an unusual and beautiful setting. We probably spent too long stupefied by, and discussing, the image before I decided to take the second shot, and of course, there the mist is not captured. Stupidly, I switched off the flash. Otherwise the comparison image might have been more interesting, and I might have captured more - it just didn't occur to me to keep snapping. Contd...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rachel07

I turned the flash off in the second image in order to show there was no visible mist to the naked eye. So, we have nothing seen in the after shot, and there was nothing visible to the naked eye, which essentially answers two of your three questions, putting the evidence more strongly towards the paranormal than the normal.

I think, deep down in the rational part of the human mind, there's an instinct, a sixth sense if you will, that tells you when you have witnessed something unexplainable. And I strongly believe in trusting instinct. My instinct told me within a heartbeat of seeing the image, that this was highly unusual. It's like whatever it was, if it actually was something, was watching us, or following us.

We have only recently moved to the area, and were exploring. There is an awful lot of history around here, including three ancient burial sites. I would also point out that I have witnessed orbs in the woods directly above this location over a two day period for which I have video footage, that about three miles south-east of this spot, last October, we witnessed a UFO powering up and accelerating at great speed westward, we witnessed in the woods next to this spot last week, at a distance of about a hundred yards, a small child-like figure watching us and then darting behind a tree, and just today, again about 50-100 yards from where the picture was taken, flattened reeds like crop circles and young trees 20-30 feet in height that have been snapped and forced over by something.

I know this all sounds bizarre but this is what we have been witnessing all very close to this same spot.

Thanks very much indeed for your brilliant insight. I am intrigued by the possible ectoplasm explanation, and I was fascinated and intrigued by your story regarding the lady in period costume you encountered.

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on this reply.

Many thanks!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

There is no reason to think this is paranormal. I've gotten images like these plenty of times, it can be caused by condensation, water vapor in the air but the most common cause, as has been mentioned in this thread, is exhalation. I've even gotten mist clouds from exhaling in mid-summer, I imagine they are far more common in the winter.

Even if it isn't exhalation, which you seem adamant it is not, its likely still mundane and there is certainly no way to prove it is paranormal when the effect displayed looks exactly like normal breath, water vapor or mist in the air.

Even if the human variable were removed completely (say the camera was on a tripod taking random photos in intervals) it still wouldn't make it paranormal.

Still, don't let any of that discourage you from taking more photos in pursuit of the unknown. Who knows what you'll catch next time

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

There is no reason to think this is paranormal. I've gotten images like these plenty of times, it can be caused by condensation, water vapor in the air but the most common cause, as has been mentioned in this thread, is exhalation. I've even gotten mist clouds from exhaling in mid-summer, I imagine they are far more common in the winter.

Even if it isn't exhalation, which you seem adamant it is not, its likely still mundane and there is certainly no way to prove it is paranormal when the effect displayed looks exactly like normal breath, water vapor or mist in the air.

Even if the human variable were removed completely (say the camera was on a tripod taking random photos in intervals) it still wouldn't make it paranormal.

Still, don't let any of that discourage you from taking more photos in pursuit of the unknown. Who knows what you'll catch next time

Thanks for your thoughts.

I appreciate your theories but we will have to beg to differ.

In the images you have taken where you say you have captured similar, was the mist visible, or like my photograph, invisible to the naked eye? If invisible, do you have examples of these pictures you have taken that look just like mine, so I can compare and contrast?

Many thanks!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join