It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What The?!?!? Somone please explain this picture, as it dont make logical sense!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
There was a solar eclipse on the 15th of January

This picture shows hundreds of rings under a palm tree during the annularity of the eclipse from 15.01.2010 at the Conrad Rangali, Maledives. The picture is NOT my picture, but it was made by Tony, an employee of the Hotel. He made it with his Mobile-Camera.

Conrad Rangali, Maledives
Jan. 15, 2010

There may be a reason for this but PLEASE! dont say camera or any easy excuse because it blatently isnt no distortion!

[edit on 22/1/2010 by theflashor]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
neither does your title.

cool picture though i have no idea what would cause that.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Awesome shots.

There's no manipulation there, I guess just the right conditions to get the shot.

Similar images here: HERE

[edit on 22/1/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I have seen similar pictures of an eclispe in the past. The small gaps between leaves in the tree are acting like a pin hole camera and the light from the eclipse passing through those gaps project an image of the eclipse on the ground. Same effect as usinga pin hole viewer to view an eclipse safely.

Always find these shots cool.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Back in....96, I think? We had a total eclipse while I was working at a resort. I used a welding mask to watch it. One thing I did notice was everything had two or three shadows. Trees, buildings, bushes. It was weird. It almost distracted everyone from the actual eclipse.
It may be the two or three shadows being filtered through the palm tree fronds.

Just a theory,
Cuhail

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It happened durring a lunar eclipse. Thats what happens to the light from the sun when it goes through pin pricks.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

that is amazing that you could pick that out so quick. how did you find that?

[edit on 22-1-2010 by Sorcha Faal]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
Back in....96, I think? We had a total eclipse while I was working at a resort. I used a welding mask to watch it. One thing I did notice was everything had two or three shadows. Trees, buildings, bushes. It was weird. It almost distracted everyone from the actual eclipse.
It may be the two or three shadows being filtered through the palm tree fronds.

Just a theory,
Cuhail

You are probs right but what causes the multiple shadows its not logical is it!???? if you shine a tourch and cover half the lens up it wont make 3 shadows it will #just make a smaller shadow surly?

[edit on 22/1/2010 by theflashor]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Could be a bunch of bottles hanging in the tree. The rings look like the bottom of bottles as light goes through them...Interesting.

Nice thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sorcha Faal

Just went to the original source of the OP's image, spaceweather.com

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Yep Pin hole camera is exactly correct.

In fact next time there is an eclipse you can make your own pinhole camera to view the eclipse.

Take a quaker oat round container. the bigger the better.
paint the inside of it black. put a pin hole in the lid.
then you can cut a hole in the side of the container for your eye.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Wow, that is really cool. Thank you OP, and to all who gave answers or comments. Especially the other picture submitted. I love ATS. = )

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
You do not need an eclipse to see the phenomenon. It can be done in daylight or with any bright light source.

I watched my first solar eclipse this way when I was seven years old. My uncles has welding helmets and goggles, but the kids used shoe-boxes with holes in them.

The "pinhole" (in this case, gaps between the leaves) serves to refract the light onto a viewing surface. The image is inverted, and quality is dependent upon the size of the gap/hole. Your eye does the same thing; your bain "corrects the image."

The "camera obscura" is over 1,000 years old and has been used for reproductions, drawing and tracing images. In a darkened box, it can be used to expose photographic film or a ccd to generate reproducible images.

Under proper conditions, you can safely view sunspots in this way. Or you can use it to trace objects onto paper or other media.

jw

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
HERE IS HOW YOU CAN REPLICATE THE EXACT SAME EFFECT USING ONLY A LED TORCH:

1) Buy a led torch (The ones with a ring of leds which produce the light)
2) Go into a dark room
3) Make a small circle with your index finger and thumb
4) Shine the torch through the hole you made with your fingers onto a wall

Mess around with this and you should be able to produce a pattern on the wall in the exact same pattern as the leds on the torch appear in....as in, a ring of small dots.

What's obviously happening here, is the light from the eclispe is passing through small gaps in the leaves and we see the circle pattern produced by the eclispe replicated all over the ground.

[edit on 22/1/10 by CHA0S]

[edit on 22/1/10 by CHA0S]

top topics

join