It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruise Ships Still Partying In Haiti

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Cruise Ships Still Partying In Haiti

Wow, just wow. This is what we are, collectively. This is sick.

Really. Leveling judgment on an economic engine. Hmm. What would you have them do? Cancel the cruise, put the passengers on rations, play funeral music through the ship's speakers? Absurd.

But, you're right we are sick... We have become weak and thin-skinned and deluded with this "Global Empathy" pandemic.

Look, they make pretty decent cigars down there, but their government sucks, the people practice voodoo, they gave the world AIDS, gangs run wild in the streets regardless of the seismic tremors, and the place generally sucks a chupacabra's booty-hole.

Welcome To Haiti!

I do not care about Haiti. Aside from dodging the AIDS bullet that Haiti fired into the USA back in the 1980s, I've had no personal encounters with Haiti or Haitians, and they mean about as much to me as do the Sherpas waaay over in Nepal, hauling the rich white man's dirty laundry on their heads.

There are so many different cultures that make so many different decisions about how they are going to address survival and comfort, et cetera, it's not up to me to CARE about all of them. Nor is it your responsibility.

In a truly perfect world, every nation, every culture would have to fend for itself, and live or die at the whim of Mother Nature. Populations would be drastically reduced, resources would be plentiful, disease would be isolated, and manmade global warming would be a figment of somebody's imagination.

Oops. Okay MMGW IS a figment, but that's neither here nor there.

Point is, this "global empathy" or "global charity" or whatever you want to call it, is making us weaker as a civilization. Look at the Third World. It's a MESS, in spite of the USA pouring trillions of dollars into it over decades. Still the same old corrupt banana republics, still the same old drug trafficking, still the same sleazy con-man governments, still the same old poaching endangered animals to the brink of extinction, still the slash & burn footprints of uneducated and ignorant humans across the landscape... Sheesh.

The best thing we could do for the planet and our civilization is cut off all monetary, food and medicine relief to the world for, say, just five years. Global infrastructure would collapse — except for the USA, of course, because we're light years more wealthy and our citizenry is so well-armed, we could fight off all the emaciated, flea-bitten refugees for at least five years, until everything settled down and the stench of death passed away on the wind.

What we'd have after five short years is a newer, cleaner world, a vastly smaller and easily-sustainable population of survivors, and all sorts of FREE STUFF!

Now, tell me that's not a better Utopia than a burgeoning Global Union scenario with 8+ billion whining, thin-skinned bitches holding their hands out to the Central Scrutinizer.

Give me a break with Global Empathy.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/19/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
reply to post by hotbakedtater

all over this forum, and in other forums, in the media etc

Ive had it out with a few people who give it the big liberal caring nonsense on here about Haitians and asked some of them how much they'd donated, many had donated zilcho.

Then you get the people seeking offence in a cruise ship, ye gads.

Then you get the people who have maybe donated a tenner, but will still go out and spend money on the cinema, mcdonalds whatever- if you are going to lecture me I want you living a bare minimum existence with all your money and frivolous goods going to the "needy"< then come back and be self righteous (that goes to anyone wishing to be self righteous about such matters)

it has nothing to do with being a liberal. I don't really get why conservatives always need to tie liberal into anything they get angry at.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

it has nothing to do with being a liberal. I don't really get why conservatives always need to tie liberal into anything they get angry at.

mising the point, remove the word "liberal" and replace it with "be they liberal or conservative" types- though generally those lecturing with self righteous indignation on such matters would self class as "liberal" in my experience

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I wonder how many of us just bought a bottle of wine for our dinner etc or have done without so we could donate something. In my opinion, only those who have made an effort to help should be critical.
It's not as if they could dock in the port itself so they weren't exactly partying by the smouldering ruins and festering corpses. And presumably the tour operator has a legal contract with the holidaymakers so it's a bit tricky unless there is a unanimous decision to intervene. And they would still be liable for health and safety.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Story Here

Sixty miles from Haiti's devastated earthquake zone, luxury liners dock at private beaches where passengers enjoy jetski rides, parasailing and rum cocktails delivered to their hammocks. The 4,370-berth Independence of the Seas, owned by Royal Caribbean International, disembarked at the heavily guarded resort of Labadee on the north coast on Friday; a second cruise ship, the 3,100-passenger Navigator of the Seas is due to dock. The Florida cruise company leases a picturesque wooded peninsula and its five pristine beaches from the government for passengers to "cut loose" with watersports, barbecues, and shopping for trinkets at a craft market before returning on board before dusk. Safety is guaranteed by armed guards at the gate. The decision to go ahead with the visit has divided passengers. The ships carry some food aid, and the cruise line has pledged to donate all proceeds from the visit to help stricken Haitians. But many passengers will stay aboard when they dock; one said he was "sickened".

Wow, just wow. This is what we are, collectively. This is sick.

It doesn't look like you read your own article. They talk about how many on the ship were not ok with it and one even said he was sickened. They also talk about how the ships raising money for Haiti and brought some aid also.

That doesn't mean collectively the human race said FU Haiti.

For all the people saying how wrong this is and we should be ashamed. I hope you are holding candle light vigils every night and spending every waking moment trying to raise money. If not your a hypocrite for going on and living your life.

Tragic things happen but it doesn't mean you should feel guilt or stop your life. Do what you can but then move on and be a better person by living life and enjoying it.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
When the quake happen last week, I was in the Dominican Republic, 300kms from Port-Au-Prince.

I was partying in my resort, I was eating more than I should in five stars restaurant while Haiti was hungry. I slept on the beach under palm tree while hatian were sleeping under rubbles. I was looking at topless sunbather (women, of course) while haitians were looking at corpse.

Well even if this tragic event were happening next door, I didnt watch TV the whole week so I didnt know what was going on in Haiti.

Why stopped an industry that bring money and jobs to these peoples?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

mising the point, remove the word "liberal" and replace it with "be they liberal or conservative" types- though generally those lecturing with self righteous indignation on such matters would self class as "liberal" in my experience

I didn't miss your point, if you are stating that you should replace that wording with a much more open wording then that is your fault in conveying your opinion poorly. You might just check how many fingers you have point back at you as you point that finger towards me.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I didn't miss your point, if you are stating that you should replace that wording with a much more open wording then that is your fault in conveying your opinion poorly. You might just check how many fingers you have point back at you as you point that finger towards me.

you did miss the point, it is not my fault you are lost in a lack of understanding, most doing the self righteous trip on this issue would be self classed as liberals, BUT, to assist your understanding add in "conservatives" or even replace both with "anyone"- the point was NOT liberals but about being self righteous on the internet *sorry for completely flumoxing you with a point that most would be in the liberal camp*

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I will agree with this thought.

I am seeing a lot and I mean a lot of grumbling, belittling, and outright criticism of others who seem to be living life in some way or another. All of this from people who are sitting in front of a computer doing the complaining. I would make the guess that those doing the most complaining have none little or nothing to help. If they are so empathetic and demand some help they can get on a plane or boat or whatever and go help. Spend the entire day raising money to send there or something. Sell all of your possessions and take the money made down there to aid them.

What am I doing? Well I am not as concerned about going there to help. Why? Because I have my own family to clothe, feed, and provide shelter for. I work rotating shifts that are 12 and a half hours long and I have been working on keeping my truck running and getting heat in the thing. It is not that I do not feel sorry for the people of Haiti or that I am not sympathetic to their needs. I have my own life that needs to be lived though. I cannot just drop everything and go help. If I were to do that I would not be able to feed, clothe, or provide for my own family therefore I would soon be in need of help. Do I feel guilty? Not at all, life happens and it is not always pleasant. Am I a bad person? If someone thinks I am so be it I am not out to impress people or look for others approval. I can only do so much before my own family starts to suffer.

If the cruise ships just stopped taking people on cruises in areas near there they would lose money and not be able to provide the help they are offering. Not only is the cruise companies offering some help but the tourists they bring into that region spend money when they dock that goes to help the overall economy.

The point is if you feel more needs to be done get off the computer and get your butt in gear, or shut your pie hole.

Raist

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

No, I don't, my views on Iraq aren't on this thread....And, yes, you're absolutely correct, and this thread proves it - I'm a hypocrite....for pointing out a different side to this tragedy.

I think that putting your views does not make you a hypocrite, and such comments always come in any thread

If I understand it correctly, the main issue here is that while Haiti has been devasted by an earthquake, almost 100000 dead, what is a cruise ship doing in Haiti?

These people have paid to be on the cruise ship, so they have a right to be there, and unless it is dangerous for them to be there, they wont leave.

Yes it is ironic that people are partying on a cruise ship while the rest of the country is hit...but then everyone cannot be grieving all the time and people have to move on.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I heard about this yesterday and immediately, my feelings were mixed.

I know it seems pretty morbid to party it up while people are laying dead just 60 miles away, so I understand the outrage, but people need to realize that this vacation cruise was probably scheduled months or even years ahead of time.
Isn't that how most people schedule their vacation?
Hate to say, but the show really must go on.

I heard there were some folks that chose to stay on the ship when it docked in Haiti.

The cruise ship line donated a hefty chunk, that should account for something, but I'm still somewhat mixed.

What would have been a better alternative?

There was also a safety issue.
What is the Haitian's would have cleared the perimeter walls to get to the ship?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
*All Of The "Why Don't You Go & Help" Posts Are Missing The Point*

A few comments from Here that share my sentiment:

This isn't just proximity revealing truth, though that's happening too. This is about when and where it is appropriate to take one's leisure, to play and to relax. Presumably, the passengers at the Independence of the Seas wouldn't strip off and get a tan in a cemetery in their own home towns, or show up in a terminal ward with a picnic lunch and a boom-box. When you are bereaved, you don't expect that the rest of the world will stop until you recover. But it *is* reasonable to expect that they won't come over to your house uninvited and put some Adam Sandler videos on the DVD player and snog on the sofa while you weep in the bedroom.

The idea that anyone cannot see how this is a dictionary definition of a "faux pax" x 1,000,000 needs their heads examined. There's a time and a place for everything. When a country like Haiti is digging mass graves for the dead, and people are starving in the streets, this is just massively inappropriate. Now can these same boats filled with passengers come to port *gasp* without passengers and provide shelter? Or is that simply some wacky idea.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

No I think the point is made. But it is you and the others that are missing the point made by the other side.

As the post just above you states. The plans for cruises take place months and in some cases years in advance. Most people need to save for years to take such a vacation, it is not like most just wake up one day and say “today we are heading out on a cruise because we can”. The point about going and helping is that if you are sitting at your computer complaining about others you are no better than those people on vacation. You are comfortable and relaxed and can eat or drink at any time you wish. You do not have dead bodies laying next to you no do you have raw sewage flowing at your feet. You are living in comfort and not taking any more time to help than those on the cruise.

Again like the poster above you stated life must go on. Everything cannot be dropped over one disaster. Everyone acts like terrible things have never happened until this took place. When how many died of hunger in Haiti, Africa, Iraq, Brazil, or even the U.S. last year due to hunger? How many have died as a result of the ongoing war that is taking place? How many died just in the last few months in central and south America due to the drug trade and greed of man? Where is everyone complaining about tourists when these people die?

Even in the U.S. you have people on vacation living life in their own world while someone dies of hunger or the elements right outside their hotels. Look at any place that is a haven for tourism and you will see death and misfortune.

How is it that those complaining know for fact that many on board the ship have not donated a large amount to help in the aid?

Instead of being angry at people for living life and being people why not get mad at the governments who are bickering and not getting the aid there fast enough? How about being mad at the “victims” that are attacking those there to help? Why not celebrate the fact that survivors are still being found in ruble after this amount of time?

Raist

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Pat, is that you?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Pat, is that you?

Just for the record, Pat Robertson's organization has been providing millions of dollars in food, medicine, education and relief for Haiti for many years, while all you erstwhile bleeding hearts have been spending your time and money on Cable TV and Red Lobster, or whatever revolting fast-food you eat.

What Pat Robertson said about Haiti, he's already EARNED THE RIGHT to say it by virtue of the fact that he was in Haiti, HELPING the Haitian people, long before this earthquake occurred.

You clowns only offer help when you're shamed into doing so.

(audience ROARS in agreement)

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Doc, you lost me. (but that's not hard to do)! I was referring to this guy-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c12cae5e1d95.jpg[/atsimg]

Thanks for your original comments, but they are of the extreme, you must admit. I'm glad you aren't in charge of anybody's relief efforts
Also, it's easy to call Liberal but I'm about as Conservative as they come....just sick of the Leadership.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Sandra Bullock and Lance Armstrong donated a $1,000,000 and Madonna donated $250,000

If we have a Haitian relief concert people will be singing and dancing as they raise funds and awareness so nothing too startling here.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Life goes on: there will always be an inbalance between the "have and have nots" and has anyone ever though that perhaps the people on the cruise ships had worked hard,planned well ahead,and saved to be on that cruise-vacation? Should they be penalized because of an act of nature/or man depending on what you believe?

Has anyone ever tried to get a "refund" from a Cruise Line for any reason? It's like pulling teeth,especially if an "act of God/nature" is involved and they will indeed most likely not issue "refunds" persay based on this event...it's similar when ports of call are missed or skipped due to weather or violence outbreaks in an area.
I have taken dozens of cruises myself and have a clue about the limitations and liabilities of these companies.

Emapthy on my part yes but not when the well being of other innocent/potentially victimized folks are involved as well...not all should be made to feel guilty or miss out or go without their vacation because something happened on Haiti.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

"collectively"? I'm not on that cruise ship sippin' a mai tai. I sent my check into the Red Cross a couple of days ago.

Yeah, it's kinda disturbing. But for everyone of those folks, who in reality are probably just as generous as anyone else, there are many others donating time and money to aid the relief effort. Some of them probably have donated money as well...

Honestly, what do you expect them to do? Swim ashore and get in the way? Fly home to mourn? There's nothing they can do, except stay on the boat and stay out of the way. Then go home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join