It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if we just rot and there is nothing after life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Biggest conspiracy of them all? What if all the dead people are just dead and nothing left?

What if we have no spirit, and we are just a figment of our own imaginantions?

What if when we live our very short lives in the long lived cosmos, we just die into nothingness, meaningless etc..

If the above is true how would you live differently in your life?

Would you be meaner? Nicer to people? richer? Seriously though if science found undisputible truth, that there is nothing, but flesh, and rotting, how would you change your life if at all?

Do you live your life in fear of a gods reprisal and loss of some heaven afterword? What if this is your one shot at happiness?

What would you tell your children to do? How would you live the rest of your life with this knowledge?

Is your faith causing you to waste your one shot in the univerese.

Is faith preventing us from developing science that could make us imortal?

What if all there ever was is stardust aranged in billions of different ways.. and we are just one of those ways and when we die our soul no longer exisits and time simply stops for you..

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Xeven]

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Xeven]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I do not compromise my life with fears of what is ultimately unknown to the living. If consciousness in not transferable from this body when I die then I had a good run. If it is then I have been true and honest to myself and will deal with the consequences of my actions whatever then may be.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
"... it is better to believe than not to believe, for, if you believe, and it is proven true, you will be happy that you have believed, because our Holy Mother asked it. If you believe, and it should be proven false, you will receive all blessings as if it had been true, because you believed it to be true."(Pope Urban VIII, 1623-44)

It helps many people to believe in life-after-death. If its true, then all well and good. If its not true, the very act of believing in it makes those people's lives more bearable.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, my faith has caused me to be kinder and more respective of people's feelings, and as a result I have a lot more friends now then I did before.

But I will present this to you. If I'm wrong, and there is no afterlife or anything, I will never know it. I'll be dead and all thoughts will be gone. If, however, you're wrong, and there is an afterlife, the consequences could be dire.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Faith will not save you. Only the knowledge of salvation will.

Only the strong mind will survive death. Only the innocent will avoid the scouge.

None of your books will save you! You are resurrected in this life, not the next.

Know what really is, and what is fantasy, and what is lie.

The power of the spirit to survive death must be acquired before you die, or you will dissolve. That's how it works, kids. That's what the whole contest is about - and why the enemies of God work specifically against people trying to acquire this power.

If you don't understand or believe in the power of the spirit, then nothing in the universe can save you.

Arkaleus

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yes, a disturbing thought, after all it is impossible to comprehend one's personal non-existence, isn't it? The human mind just isn't designed to cope with it.

Most people think of 'nothing' as being a completely empty space, but this can't be as an empty space is 'something' and you'd need consciousness to be able to comprehend it.

We weren't conscious before we were conceived, so therefore personal non-existence or 'nothing' must certainly exist.

My brain hurts ...

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but does our consciousness not always stay intact even at an old age, but only our ability to comprehend reality is what is affected through the numbing and eventual destruction of braincells and myriad of other aspects per sa, neuro-chemistry, etc...

I'm not sure what exactly happens after we pass, but I do hope its something good.

Deep

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
While I don't beleive that, if it turned out to be the case, it wouldn't bother me at all since I would have ceased to exist in both body and soul. If you do not exist, you cannot have regrets. In the meantime though, I'm going to go on believing and living my life accordingly.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Faith will not save you. Only the knowledge of salvation will.

Only the strong mind will survive death. Only the innocent will avoid the scouge.

None of your books will save you! You are resurrected in this life, not the next.

You're such a hypocrite

Your knowledge of salvation is fostered through books, which you condem during the times of ones death.

Deep

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't believe there is life after death, I know. But, don't take my word for it, you wouldn't anyways...lol

The thing about this is that it can never be proven wrong, however some day, it might be proven right.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
The thing about this is that it can never be proven wrong, however some day, it might be proven right.

Being that near death experiences are not true death in an absolute sense, the only way we will ever know for sure is to communicate with someone that IS dead. Get out your ouiji boards kiddies!

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
BUT!!! and there is a big but. Physicists have found out that matter can not exist without consciousness (an observer). Because of the observer effect in the wave collapse function phenomena in quantum physics. So you can reasonably say that the mind is not generated by the brain.

You can compare the brain to be a television set with an antenna, and the mind to be the wireless signal that is still there when the television is damaged.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

You can compare the brain to be a television set with an antenna, and the mind to be the wireless signal that is still there when the television is damaged.

This is exactly what I was talking about. The consciousness is always in full bloom, no matter the state of our brain.

Deep

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
BUT!!! and there is a big but. Physicists have found out that matter can not exist without consciousness (an observer). Because of the observer effect in the wave collapse function phenomena in quantum physics. So you can reasonably say that the mind is not generated by the brain.

Right you are! We can never prove that there is no life after death, but we can prove there is, and people are working very hard to prove it through physics. My personal opinion on the mind, is that it is a hologram. The brain is a device to hold it in place. Once the body dies, the mind is set free.

Just a spectualtion.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I don't see this as conspiracy, sorry. For there to be a conspiracy, someone (living) must know and willingly try to cover up the truth. Lets take this age old debate over to BTS. No offense to the insightful theories being presented. By all means, continue.

new topics

top topics

join