It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Powers meet over Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

World Powers meet over Iran

rawstory.com

Six major powers are on Saturday to mull a response to Iran's nuclear defiance but China is sending a lower-level diplomat in a signal of its reluctance to back tougher sanctions pushed by the West.

Britain, France, Germany, Russia and the United States are sending top officials of their respective foreign ministries to the talks in New York which are being hosted by the European Union.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
As reported on 15 January 2009 in:

en.rian.ru...

"The National Iranian Oil Company and China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) signed on Wednesday a $1.76 billion contract on developing Iran's North Azadegan oil field, local media reported.

The North Azadegan oil field is located in the Iranian southwestern province of Khuzestan on the border with Iraq. The oil field has estimated oil reserves of 6 billion barrels, making it possible to produce an average of 75,000 barrels a day over the next 25 years, Iranian media said."

China is, as I type this, in the process of developing those oil fields.

Any interference with that will be taken as a supremely hostile act against its interests.

What the Chinese are saying by way of the sending of this delegate is a warning to not place further sanctions on Iran, or start yet another military misadventure by way of a US/Israeli attack against it.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I've said it before and will say it again... It's ok for Israel to defy nuclear verifications, to have nuclear weapons without declaring them, make threats to countries around them and get away with it...

It's not ok for Iran to threaten the country that says it will annihilate it, it's not ok for them to have civilian nuclear power, it's not ok for them to prosper...

Where's the logic?

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So the biggest of arms dealers/sellers are meeting to discuss obstacles of peace which is a 3rd world country wanting to be able to defend itself.

ok

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It might not go as many of you think.

The US and GB are war mongers , But the other countries there are

tired of this BS.

France has made indication's along with Germany that they want out

of the Wars on going. Russia and China will side to keep Iran safe.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I could not have said it better myself... You hit it right on the nail and then on the thumbs of the nay-sayers... who will flood this thread anytime now...

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007

Where's the logic?

I'd still sanction leaders of the illegal coup d'etat regime regardless of their nuclear ambitions, and recent events only highlight the necessity even more so than before. To not see this - you'd must have had your eyes closed during all of 2009.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
So the biggest of arms dealers/sellers are meeting to discuss obstacles of peace which is a 3rd world country wanting to be able to defend itself.

ok

The people inside that country only want to defend themselves against the very same people that threaten other countries. It's illogical and unethical to define a whole country based on it's despotic dictatorship whose idea of defence is to attack harmless & innocent people, and even break codes in the islamic constitution that they claim to abide by. The one they haven't broke states that people have a right to freedom of speech, but only if it agrees with the supreme leader - it's a complete joke and I'm not surprised that Iranian's won't even accept reform and will push for complete abandonment of the islamic constitution.

And Iran isn't a third world country, even though it's seen more prosperous times.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

You know, when people you personally dislike win an election, that doesn't make it a coup. The phrase "coup d'etat" has an actual definition, and does not mean whatever you apparently think it means.

What I see here are six nations that earnestly believe they have a right to tell a seventh what to do without so much as letting it join in the discussions. I fully expect there to be the same sort of sanctions that were placed on Iraq - which, as was demonstrated by Iraq, only function to kill lots and lots of kids. Maybe we'll even get to hear from Madeline Albright about it again.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

There's no contesting what you said, but it's not up to the world to do this; it's up to the people of Iran. I've said this many times, we cannot interfere with internal politics of other countries... It's up to the people to revolt, and to change their country, not us to impose sanctions.

This is because in the end the people who suffer from the sanctions are the people of Iran, not the "leaders"...

Magnum

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Is Iran really a 3rd world country?

Iran is not some poor defenseless country that does no wrong, its a farce to try and portray them that way.

I'm not saying Israel is innocent either but if your going to try and argue against people for using certain tactics but then use them yourself its pretty silly. Iran doesn't want nukes for defense they want them for offense. Israel doesn't have nukes for defense they have them for offense.

The difference here is that Iran has an agreement to not do things that they are doing. Because of that they need to be punished. Rather then blow them up like bush would have, we are talking back and forth and applying pressure on them economically. Money/power is always the best weapon in any war.

The whole thing is a joke anyway because you are dealing with a group of leaders that know they need to go to a major war with the great Satan country in order to bring back their god. Then on the other side you have the UN group who has backed themselves into a corner by stating they wouldn't allow this behavior or else, if they don't go to the "or else" the others in the world will think there is no consequences. You cant lead with fear tactics if you don't follow through with them.

Either way we are all screwed, it may not be war today but it will end up as war tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I hope the discussions find a solution for the jamming of satellite signals by the regime. I think the jamming of signals is done by firing high energy microwaves at the satellites to overheat the transmitter. I'm sure this microwave radiation is harmful to humans and cause cancer along with other nasty ailments.

BBC joins international protests against Iranian TV interference

Corporation supports formal complaint after signal jamming and removal of Persian service from satellite.

Iran is facing mounting international protests about its jamming of the BBC's Persian TV service (PTV) after the channel – which has millions of viewers and is hugely popular with opposition supporters – was taken off a satellite owned by Europe's leading operator.

The BBC said today it was "actively supporting" a formal complaint to the International Telecommunication Union, a UN-affiliated body, about "deliberate interference" from Iran. The ITU confirmed it had received representations from regulators in France, home to Eutelsat, owner of the Hotbird 6 satellite, which transmitted PTV until the end of last month.

The German state broadcaster, Deutsche Welle, said it too would protest about interference with its Persian-language radio broadcasts. Voice of America Persian TV programmes have also been jammed.

The BBC said it was telling viewers how to adjust their satellite dishes to receive programmes via two other satellites that are out of range of Iranian jamming.

Eutelsat says PTV was removed from Hotbird 6 "in agreement" with the BBC, though sources close to the affair say the operator caved in to commercial and legal pressures from other customers broadcasting on the same transponder.

Another Eutelsat satellite, Hotbird 8, provides capacity to Iranian state media channels, including English-language Press TV, which has offices in London.

Iranian opposition supporters are accusing satellite companies of "siding with dictators". Eutelsat and GlobeCast, a France Télécom subsidiary which leases bandwidth from Eutelsat — and which made the decision to take down PTV — refuse to say publicly that the Iranian government is responsible for the jamming.

"It makes me angry that we are the victims of jamming by the Iranian government and the Iranian government is still able to use Hotbird for its own programmes," said one BBC source. "We are the victims and they are the perpetrators."

PTV was launched a year ago this week to Iranian fury. Sporadic jamming began after last June's disputed presidential elections but intensified in late December, after the death of Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri, a revered cleric associated with the opposition, which triggered a new round of demonstrations.

Tehran has repeatedly attacked PTV as an arm of the British government, which it accuses of seeking to foment a "velvet revolution".

Last week, it included the BBC on a list of 60 "subversive" international organisations. Britain and Iran are at odds over Iran's nuclear programme, Israel, and other Middle Eastern issues. The Foreign Office called the jamming "a clear attempt to infringe the right of Iranians to watch the TV channel of their choice".

The BBC said it was exploring other options with Eutelsat. "We will try every avenue to give our large audiences in Iran the television news services that they want," said Peter Horrocks, the BBC World Service director.

Iran has gone to extraordinary lengths to block TV broadcasts it considers hostile. Signals transmitted from the US, beyond reach of Iranian jamming, have occasionally been jammed from Cuban territory.

But hopes of a response from Tehran to these latest complaints are slim as the Geneva-based ITU has no enforcement power and is widely seen as toothless.

Iranian viewers are angry and frustrated. "We Iranians are now under repression," one PTV fan said. "We are passing another turning point in our history and we need unbiased news more than ever."

Another told the BBC: "People have been left with an utter lack of information … Perhaps you don't realise the extent of your influence on Iranian society."

"Iranians keep asking me why the west is so powerless," Sadeq Saba, head of PTV, wrote on his blog. "They say: 'This is a rogue government jamming international signals. How will the west stop Iran getting nuclear weapons if they can't deal with this?'"

[edit on 16-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Let's hope more countries follow suit. I for one would love to see Canada bring all our troops back but we are tied at the hip to the US, TPTB would never let us slip away, as well as Mexico. It's going to take the people to persuade the governments of the world to stop this BS. Come on people lets take back our freedom and lives the way it was supposed to be.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Is Iran really a 3rd world country?

Iran is not some poor defenseless country that does no wrong, its a farce to try and portray them that way.

Definitely not - its on par with wealth per capita as some of the Eastern European ex Eastern bloc countries.. its not too far from being a trillion dollar economy. They are about a quarter as wealthy as US/EU/Japanese etc. An absolute shining light for the region in an economic sense.

Its crazy the way it is demonized so much. It is one of the most geopolitically strategic countries on the planet though... And its in the US's way.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

some had linked some Excellent pics of Iran

Its a very beautiful country

new topics

top topics

join