It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Takes on Suspended Animation: Zombie Pigs, Squirrels, and Hypersleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just think of all the things you could do... if they are able to achieve this! Are we going to have Zombies walking in the streets? Doubt it... Could humans survive a trip to other galaxies? Maybe!!! Suspended animation just like in the SciFi movies! Pretty cool!

DARPA is committing $9.9 million to the Texas A&M Institute for Preclinical Studies (TIPS) to research how hydrogen sulfide can block the body’s ability to use oxygen and induce a state of suspended animation. Because they have a cardiovascular system similar to humans, TIPS researchers Theresa Fossum and Matthew Miller think they can accurately predict human results from trials with anesthetized pigs. Using swine, the researchers are testing various compounds — some containing hydrogen sulfide — to find one that can safely keep the hemorrhaging animals “as close to death as possible.” Here’s a video on the TIPS research:
News Source:

DARPA on Wikipedia

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is an agency of the United States Department of Defense responsible for the development of new technology for use by the military. DARPA has been responsible for funding the development of many technologies which have had a major effect on the world, including computer networking, as well as NLS, which was both the first hypertext system, and an important precursor to the contemporary ubiquitous graphical user interface.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Thought you may be interested in this link regarding Hydrogen sulfide

www.safetydirectory.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have a prediction!

In a couple of days... this post will be completely forgotten about, then there will be a new post in the "Breaking News" section with this same article and it will receive stars, flags... the works... just like my Mars Picture... *sigh*

Oh well... Just like the real world. Let's wait and see!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Neat stuff. This has big implications for organ transplants, too. It certainly would be nice to be able to keep an archive of usable organs in suspended animation and then thaw them out whenever my patient needed one. Of course, that assumes we have enough organs to create an archive in the first place

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

Yeah, that's what happens in this forum.

Sounds cool....but I have two problems:

1) Pigs are smart little buggers...surely rats would suffice?

2) A school full of zombies would be much more productive than a school full of Aggies.......

-Dev

top topics

join