It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark McGwire Comes Clean, Admits To Using Steroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Mark McGwire Comes Clean, Admits To Using Steroids

sports.yahoo.com

Almost five years after clamming up in front of Congress, Mark McGwire is finally willing to talk about the past.

In a statement released to the AP on Monday afternoon, Big Mac admitted that he took steroids on and off for almost a decade and was a PED user when he hit 70 home runs during the famous 1998 home run chase.

The AP also reports that McGwire used human growth hormone, though that news was obtained from a source and was not referenced in McGwire's statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rds.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Congress, Baseball, Steriods; Why?
Bohemian Grove 2008
The words "liberal" and "conservative" have been distorted

[edit on 11-1-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well, I am not a sports fan, but I had to do a thread on this because I think it is important that our children's hero's, sports stars, or whoever, are up front about things they do within their lives.

Quote from : Mark McGwire Comes Clean, Admits To Using Steroids

* "I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

* "I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected."

* "I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids," McGwire said. "I had good years when I didn't take any, and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry."

I followed in my stepfather's footsteps, in that I would rather play sports, than watch it, and I have no time for play time, I would rather be working.

Mark McGwire Senate Testimony

Mark McGwire testifying to Congress (poorly)

JUICED: McGwire Admits to Using Steroids During Homerun Race & for the Better Part of a Decade

sports.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Heroes? It's sad that kids in general idolize sports stars and athletes as heroes anyways. It's our fault as adults for portraying million dollar Mark McGuires as being infallible or some sort of role model for our children. The ridiculous fanatical idolatry that exists in America when it comes to professional sports is disgusting. I don't see anyone chastizing A-Rod for divorce or being unfaithful to his wife but everyone loves to chastize athletes for pumping their body full of hormones. Is it cheating? It's only cheating because steroids are illegal. Using a helmet in football would be cheating if everyone else wasn't using one. Steroids should not only be legal in sports they should be reclassified in society and unscheduled like they once were. Prohibition solves nothing.

People are funny...........they see no problem with highly advanced helmets, bats, hockey sticks, skates, the most advanced training in the world but when it comes to ingesting or injecting something into their body it's SHOCKING and WRONG. yet people pop their vitamins, drink their coffee and banter back and forth about legalizing pot. But someone steroids and testosterone are blackballed and maligned as poison.

This country has a lot more to worry about than steroids in sports. The fact that Congress ever wasted their time worrying about it shows just how inept our government is.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Heroes? It's sad that kids in general idolize sports stars and athletes as heroes anyways. It's our fault as adults for portraying million dollar Mark McGuires as being infallible or some sort of role model for our children. The ridiculous fanatical idolatry that exists in America when it comes to professional sports is disgusting. I don't see anyone chastizing A-Rod for divorce or being unfaithful to his wife but everyone loves to chastize athletes for pumping their body full of hormones. Is it cheating? It's only cheating because steroids are illegal. Using a helmet in football would be cheating if everyone else wasn't using one. Steroids should not only be legal in sports they should be reclassified in society and unscheduled like they once were. Prohibition solves nothing.

Oh, I could not agree with you more, I was relating it the things I hear about those "hero's".

Please, do not take that as myself seeing any sports jock as a hero, at all.

Personally, I see the sports stars, movie stars, and other fictitious characters being portrayed as "hero's" as a misnomer.

People are funny...........they see no problem with highly advanced helmets, bats, hockey sticks, skates, the most advanced training in the world but when it comes to ingesting or injecting something into their body it's SHOCKING and WRONG. yet people pop their vitamins, drink their coffee and banter back and forth about legalizing pot. But someone steroids and testosterone are blackballed and maligned as poison.

I would trade a kevlar military helmet for a sports helmet, any day.

Those are the real hero's, fighting in war, whether the war is right or wrong, or not.

Whether our citizens agree with the war, or not, they have to remember the soldiers.

This country has a lot more to worry about than steroids in sports. The fact that Congress ever wasted their time worrying about it shows just how inept our government is.

Can we say sideshow, to keep us unfocused on the thefts on Capitol Hill?

Can we say bread and circuses, like the Flavian Amphitheatre of Rome?

Quote from : Wikipedia : Colosseum

The Colosseum or Roman Coliseum, originally the Flavian Amphitheatre (Latin: Amphitheatrum Flavium, Italian Anfiteatro Flavio or Colosseo), is an elliptical amphitheatre in the center of the city of Rome, Italy, the largest ever built in the Roman Empire.

It is one of the greatest works of Roman architecture and Roman engineering.

Occupying a site just east of the Roman Forum, its construction started between 70 and 72 AD under the emperor Vespasian and was completed in 80 AD under Titus, with further modifications being made during Domitian's reign (81–96).

The name "Amphitheatrum Flavium" derives from both Vespasian's and Titus's family name (Flavius, from the gens Flavia).

Capable of seating 50,000 spectators, the Colosseum was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles.

As well as the gladiatorial games, other public spectacles were held there, such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology.

The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era.

It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

It has been estimated[who?] that about 500,000 people and over a million wild animals died in the Colosseum games.

Although in the 21st century it stays partially ruined because of damage caused by devastating earthquakes and stone-robbers, the Colosseum is an iconic symbol of Imperial Rome and its breakthrough achievements in earthquake engineering.

It is one of Rome's most popular tourist attractions and still has close connections with the Roman Catholic Church, as each Good Friday the Pope leads a torchlit "Way of the Cross" procession that starts in the area around the Colosseum.

The Colosseum is also depicted on the Italian version of the five-cent euro coin.

...and...

Quote from : Wikipedia : Bread and Circuses

"Bread and circuses" (or bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for handouts and petty amusements that politicians use to gain popular support, instead of gaining it through sound policy.

The phrase is invoked not only to criticize politicians, but also to criticize their supporters for giving up their civic duty.

In modern usage, the phrase has become an adjective to deride an infantilized populace so defined by entertainment, instant self gratification, and personal pleasures that they no longer value civic virtues and the public life (not necessarily accomplished through deliberate pacification by politicians but through the popular culture itself).

To many social conservatives, it connotes the wanton decadence and hedonism that defined Rome prior to its decline and that may similarly contribute to the decline of modern society.

Can we say distraction, through Divide and Conquer?

Sure, and I thought the masses of ATS would enjoy this as a news story and a real conspiracy, within a conspiracy, collusion on Capitol Hill.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Heroes aside, what I would like to know is which of these steroids that McGwire took was against Major League Baseball rules at the time he took them?

IMO, MLB knew what was going on and chose to look the other way. The light should reflect more on them than McGwire or any other baseball player.

Should Mc have confessed sooner? yes, he should have.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
boo to the thread, not to the author, this isnt breaking news, if thats all cnn has to report about then i wont be watching them anymore

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Heroes aside, what I would like to know is which of these steroids that McGwire took was against Major League Baseball rules at the time he took them?

IMO, MLB knew what was going on and chose to look the other way. The light should reflect more on them than McGwire or any other baseball player.

Should Mc have confessed sooner? yes, he should have.

I could not agree with you more, better sports, brings in the big bucks.

I am happy that I never followed sports because I've always seen the World Series, or the (can I call it that without being sued? -->) Super Bowl, and World Cup Soccer as nothing more than a distraction, like the days of old when the gladiators, Christians, and lions would enter into the Flavian Amphitheatre.

Just to keep the masses from paying attention to what Senate was up to, and the current leader who stood as Caesar.

Personally, what turned me off the most about sports was listening to these whiny little babies complain, whine, and bitch about their $1 million dollar (insert your own $ here) contract extensions.

I tried watching sports, way back when Michael Jordan was first hot on the scene, and when the fabulous Bo Jackson was big, and when Michael Jordan retired, the first time, and then when Bo Jackson went over to baseball, I stopped watching.

I loved watching Jordan fly through the air and Bo do his deeds.

They did not bitch and whine as much as the others, from what I saw.

Jam on, jam321, jam on.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
boo to the thread, not to the author, this isnt breaking news, if thats all cnn has to report about then i wont be watching them anymore

People actually watch C.N.N. still?

Personally, I watch any news with a huge grain of salt.

Sports related or otherwise.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If Aaron's reported 'forgiveness' of McGwire's actions and a resulting better shot at being inducted in the Hall of Fame was the intended goal of the admission, then I guess he has succeeded.

I'm disappointed that his admission and expressions of regret didn't include some mention of the serious short and long-term adverse health effects of steroid use. He would have served sport better by sending out a message discouraging its use from this health standpoint.

Instead, this comes across like it is all about serving him and his personal goals -- kind of selfish, if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
What is sad about this is that McGwire almost five full years to come out and admit that he has used steroids in the past. Somehow, it does not surprise me that Big Mac admits to using steroids when his name comes up for the Hall of Fame ballot. I mean hitting fourty nine home runs in your rookie season should have said something then. Come to think of it, I don't seem to recall anyone hitting that many home runs in their rookie season since.

To think that kids these days usually look up to these guys as their heroes.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The only thing I see wrong here, is that he says he regrets doing it.

All he's done is add to the falsity that the American government holds the reigns to it's people's endocrine and reproductive systems.

Taking testosterone can't make you hit a baseball or catch a pop-fly.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoneGrey
If Aaron's reported 'forgiveness' of McGwire's actions and a resulting better shot at being inducted in the Hall of Fame was the intended goal of the admission, then I guess he has succeeded.

I'm disappointed that his admission and expressions of regret didn't include some mention of the serious short and long-term adverse health effects of steroid use. He would have served sport better by sending out a message discouraging its use from this health standpoint.

Instead, this comes across like it is all about serving him and his personal goals -- kind of selfish, if you ask me.

Well, when someone lives in denial, by denying the lie to begin with, do you honestly expect him to do anything other than grandstanding drama as a sideshow?

Yes, which is why I never wanted to follow sports, because of the self-serving people.

I could not agree with you more, selfish and self-serving.

Amen.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
What is sad about this is that McGwire almost five full years to come out and admit that he has used steroids in the past. Somehow, it does not surprise me that Big Mac admits to using steroids when his name comes up for the Hall of Fame ballot. I mean hitting fourty nine home runs in your rookie season should have said something then. Come to think of it, I don't seem to recall anyone hitting that many home runs in their rookie season since.

To think that kids these days usually look up to these guys as their heroes.

Which is exactly why I have never looked up to sports stars as hero's.

Hero's should be people who selflessly serve.

Period.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
The only thing I see wrong here, is that he says he regrets doing it.

All he's done is add to the falsity that the American government holds the reigns to it's people's endocrine and reproductive systems.

Taking testosterone can't make you hit a baseball or catch a pop-fly.

So what you're saying is that hypocrisy is, as hypocrisy does?

That's Washington D.C. for you.

Selfish as Hell.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
Hero's should be people who selflessly serve.

Period.

You know, it's people like our volunteer or paid firemen, police officers, and paramedics of EMTs that are the true American heroes. Not some over paid and under worked chump making $20Million a year just to hit a baseball or shoot a basketball through a net. There is a saying out there that says, "Over worked and under paid." That saying goes for everybody that is out there to make a world of difference. Sad thing is that kids today are not taught to look up to the every day Joe Fireman or Billy Policeman.

Think of it this way, coming up in July, will be my father's 25th year of working in E.M.S. That should say who I look up to right there.

However, there is one sport out there that I do have a lot of respect for. That would be the sport of automobile racing. This is because these competitors put there lives on the line every time they strap themselves behind the wheel. Tragically, a lot of those people have lost their lives doing what they love.

top topics

join