It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I was holding my breath with my hands over my eyes waiting for the OP pic to open and must admit to a sigh of relief when I saw it - yes it is very like our huntsman spiders here in Australia (albeit much, much bigger!)
We often have them inside, they're pretty harmless. We just get a plastic container and put them outside most often than not. However you do come across an aggressive one every now and then.
But my 3 year old daughter was walking around with one on her dress just recently (only about 10cm big). After much blubbering and "hold still"-ing I managed to flick it off.
Took us about an hour to recover from that one (sitting hugging in the corner of the kitchen.)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Ok, please tell me this is a hoax! i don't know if i can go on knowing that there are spiders that big alive somewhere out there. The huntsmans we have here already have a tendency to bite me and land on my head. I think i'd drop dead if i ever saw one of these!

Going to sure have nightmares tonight!

Edit to add - I'll admit, i do kill the big spiders, i know it's mean, but i have no problem with the teeny ones, they can freely walk through my home and make tiny webs in the corner of my room to catch the mozzies, but those big boys, it's me or them!

[edit on 11/1/2010 by bkaust]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Awesome, a new food source for me when tshtf, i bet it tastes like lobster or crab.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netties Hermit
reply to post by DaMod

I was holding my breath with my hands over my eyes waiting for the OP pic to open and must admit to a sigh of relief when I saw it - yes it is very like our huntsman spiders here in Australia (albeit much, much bigger!)
We often have them inside, they're pretty harmless. We just get a plastic container and put them outside most often than not. However you do come across an aggressive one every now and then.
But my 3 year old daughter was walking around with one on her dress just recently (only about 10cm big). After much blubbering and "hold still"-ing I managed to flick it off.
Took us about an hour to recover from that one (sitting hugging in the corner of the kitchen.)

i swear man, the bigger the huntsmans get the ballsier! we had one clinging to our car and i swear to god its legs were so big it's body was a good 2cms off the ground. My family didn't let me kill it and just shooed it away - i told them it'd be back, because those ******s never stop, and whaddya know, 2 weeks later he was waiting on my door. So i squished him. Then took a photo of said squished-ness for piece of mind. Although luckily their bite's are harmless and painless, but when they cling to your head with those creepy legs. i'm quite similar to your 3 year old it would seem!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Yeah - it's really NOT nice when you get surprised by one dropping you, whether you like spiders or not.

It is sad their habitat is disappearing though.

What I find unusual with this guy though, is that it makes it's den more like the trap-door spider rather than it's relative the huntsman. Guess there aren't many trees in sand dunes.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I am aware that spiders are sacred to the Goddess.

Ok.

I try to relocate little ones outside the house
(unless its a bad one-they die)

this one would make me crap myself.

Its like the Uber-spiders up in Arkansas. A friend up there say they are about the size of your head and eat birds. Almost ran one over thinking it was a turtle.

Big ones? Nope. Cant hack that....or can I?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
Awesome, a new food source for me when tshtf, i bet it tastes like lobster or crab.

You're tough!

I'd probably eat a person before I ate that monstrosity!
But thats assuming the spiders didn't eat all the people first!

Nahhh...the spiders won't eat the people. Only the people afraid of eating spiders will eat the people!

Its just the psychological thing about eating spiders. I saw some show where these guys cooked tarantulas in jungle leaves and ate em as a delicacy. Guess I can't knock it till I try it....which I don't plan on trying anytime soon! But when TSHTF....anythings game! Caribou and moose sounds better than spider though!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Sorry baby, but this spider isn't that big...

Definitely, this is a BIG BAD*SS spider:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/51dc18e2af76.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a4d25ec262e.jpg[/atsimg]

Camel Spider eggs

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/430514f3beff.jpg[/atsimg]

Camel Spider victim

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6c6e83f07b5c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4886936612ab.jpg[/atsimg]

Syndaesia sp. aka "Camel Spider", very common in Iraq desert and rocky areas. Can run 10 mph and can jump over three feet. A Camel Spider is nocturnal and only comes out at night ( or hides in the shade during the day). When a Camel Spider bites, it injects a Novocain like toxin that instantly "numbs" the victim's skin and the surrounding tissue, that just can't feel the attack if was sleeping. When the victim wake up, will find part of the leg or arm severely chewed because the Camel Spider has been gnawing on it.

Check out this video showing a Camel Spider eating a desert lizard.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by ucalien]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Reply to DeMod- Thank-you I did help my self to actually reading the post.
And they look like a spider to me still-it appear's to look like one-yes-yes!
So even not being scientific and whatnot-I call a Camel spider a spider!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Holy Cow

Wow. Just wow.
But I kinda feel sorry for them....

With a lanky legspan of up to nearly a half foot, a newly discovered spider species is the largest among its family of arachnids in the Middle East. The spider, now dubbed Cerbalus aravensis, was discovered in the dunes of the Sands of Samar in the southern Arava region in Israel by a team of biologists from the University of Haifa-Oranim. The scientists say C. aravensis is nocturnal and mostly active during the hottest months of the year.

OK. If you are not scared of spiders, click on the image. If you are, dont. Its a beautiful creature, indeed. But she's not like our tiny house-spiders. She's a mammoth.

Even if you CAN kill a spider with no remorse out of sheer fear, Im sure you find it sad that it's home is disappearing.

its home is disappearing. The Sands of Samar are the last remaining sand dune in Israeli territory in the southern Arava region. In the past, the sands stretched across some 2.7 square miles (7 square km), but due to the rezoning of areas for agriculture and sand quarries, the sands have been reduced to about 1 square mile (3 square km).

Its almost like species are diappearing as soon as we discover them.

Anyways, post your comments, and click away......IF YOU DARE.

Spider picture link

Source link for article

No big deal, we have tarantula spiders and wolf spiders that would kick-ass on this pip-squeak. It is a lovely animal though.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm honestly amazed that this thread is at the top of the page.
I mean, it is cool that they have discovered a new spider species and all..

But honestly, this isn't anything "groundbreaking". There are many spiders that are larger.

Here, I'll add a picture of a spider that I have encountered many times that is nearly, if not AS large... Being a non-tarantula type spider, this is very large. (as is the OP's spider)...

The Cane Spider.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8034556d1de.jpg[/atsimg]

This one isn't quite as big. Leg-span can be measured to about 4 inches, at max (I have personally killed one and measured this).

But the point here is that, yeah, this is apparently a new species, but it isn't the largest (by no stretch) and really isn't all that intriguing.

I am actually confounded that this thread would be considered worthy of being one of the front-page threads on ATS, a conspiracy site.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Quick S & F for the knowledge of a new species....Quickly, uh outta here.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
How infinitely beautiful! I would admire it from afar and hope that it would crawl on me, seriously I don't understand how people can be so afraid of such a harmless creature. More so I don't understand how you could kill your other self such as any spider. People, you need to overcome your fears or remain weak.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netties Hermit
reply to post by DaMod

We often have them inside, they're pretty harmless.

I thought the exact same thing. It looks extremely similar to the old Aussie Huntsman. Aussie Huntsmans can get beyond 6 inches btw!

This new species is by no means the biggest spider in the world.

Brown Huntsman Spider

Brown Huntsman (Heteropoda species) spiders are patterned in motley brown, white and black.
Size range
Body lengths: 2 cm (female), 1.6 cm (male); Leg span: up to 15 cm (6 inches)

Distribution

These genera are generally widely distributed throughout Australia, although Heteropoda is absent from most of Southeastern Australia and Tasmania has only a few Huntsman species, notably Delena cancerides and Neosparassus spp.

Habitat

Huntsman Spiders are found living under loose bark on trees, in crevices on rock walls and in logs, under rocks and slabs of bark on the ground, and on foliage. Dozens of the social huntsman species, Delena cancerides, can be seen sitting together under bark on dead trees and stumps (notably wattles) but they can also be found on the ground under rocks and bark slabs. Badge Huntsman Spiders are often found on foliage but some woodland species are burrow builders, with and without trapdoors. Huntsman spiders of many species sometimes enter houses. They are also notorious for entering cars, and being found hiding behind sun visors or running across the dashboard.

IRM

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Sorry, but honestly, your story about soldiers walking miles around to escape spiders' webs is ridiculous.
2nd

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is the creepiest thread ever ! I have never seen so many creepy crawlies that are ginormus. I am officially totally creeped out-.
I kill every spider I see and have never killed a ginormus one-maybe Indiana doesn"t have big ones ?
I am not proud of killing spiders-I just do so quickly every time I encounter one
. They scare me-really ! I admire all you brave souls who like them-I just can"t be like you. Peace

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ozzy765
This is the creepiest thread ever ! I have never seen so many creepy crawlies that are ginormus. I am officially totally creeped out-.
I kill every spider I see and have never killed a ginormus one-maybe Indiana doesn"t have big ones ?
I am not proud of killing spiders-I just do so quickly every time I encounter one
. They scare me-really ! I admire all you brave souls who like them-I just can"t be like you. Peace

Shame on you. We do not kill any spiders in our house or outside, mainly because they are the best exterminators we can have out here in the hinterlands. We do not have ants, beetles, cockroaches, etc. in the house. Except for one noxious beetle called the leaf-legged bug. But they are stupid, easy to catch, and only have an adult life span of a few days. So no big deal.

Between the spiders, the coyotes, and the snakes we have very few pests bother us.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ozzy765

Indiana has worse than big spiders!

Indiana has poisonous spiders!

Better run for the hills.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It's kinda cute in a way.
I don't want it on me though.
It looks a lot like the wolf spiders that live in NW Ga. Some of those get bigger than they say. I've seen some hugemongous ones.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Biggest creepy crawly thing in GA, in my experience, is the common cockroach.
Those sonsabitches grow big down there.

Anyhow, for all of those that are afraid of spiders this size, I would suggest that you cook one and eat it.

Maybe that will clear away your phobia... SERIOUSLY.
Spiders are harmless.

Here where I live we have two spiders that are potentially fatally venomous. Yet I cannot even recollect a single case of death-by-spiderbite to relate. (so I won't bother looking for one)

The truth of the matter is that even IF you were to encounter a potentially dangerous spider, you would have to be a very unlucky soul to actually be bitten by one.

Spiders are cool. They kill all the other pests that bother you much moreso than spiders themselves could ever impose upon you.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join