It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World record for calculating Pi.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Yahoo News

PARIS (AFP) – A French software engineer said on Friday he was claiming a world record for calculating Pi, the constant that has fascinated mathematicians for millennia.

Fabrice Bellard told AFP he used an inexpensive desktop computer -- and not a supercomputer used in past records -- to calculate Pi to nearly 2.7 trillion decimal places.

Bellard took 131 days, comprising 103 for the computation in binary digits, 13 days for verification, 12 days to convert the binary digits to a base of 10 and three final days to check the conversion.

This is pretty awesome. Im not sure if this is going to change anything drastically but it still is pretty cool. Im surprised nobody has ever done this before.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Pffft! Big wows! That guy used a PC to get that number...how hard is it?! I've gotten 3 digits further using my toes, my fingers and a pencil I borrowed off my sister. You don't see Yahoo News asking me for an interview. The same thing happened when I solved Goldbach's Conjecture...no playboy models, not even an email from the Queen...sigh...

Edit to add: And now she's taken her pencil back. Cow.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

If you've solved the Goldbach conjecture and haven't said anything, you are selfish!!!

join