It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 50 crazy laws

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I was starting to think that some were a bit suspect, then i cam across 40, a pregnant woman can relieve herself even in a policeman's helmet, and i happen to know that one is absolutely true, so i have to accept all the others, great post, thanks for the laugh, S&F

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Are these all actual laws in the lawbooks? I mean some of them sound like they're just guilty verdicts on other stuff. What I mean like the one about shooting a water pistol when robbing a bank. That sounds like someone robbed a bank with a water pistol, shot the teller with it and was convicted of bank robbery. Is there an actual law that says the whole water pistol part specifically or is it just illegal to rob banks?

[Sorry for bad explanation]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

As far as I know all these laws are/was real at some point which still begs the question... What the hell were they smoking when they came up with them?

The water pistol one (as a guess) I think someone would have robbed a bank and then shot the guy with the water pistol as a joke to rub it in or something and then that got made a crime aswell so they can get someone for 2 crimes instead of just that one.

But the water pistol one is definitely a crime

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Very curious. Slightly on topic Finland has a nice way of ticketing drivers. Ticket amounts is based on your last tax report therefore the more money you make the higher the ticket. As far as I can tell that has lead to the worlds largest speeding tickets ever when some millionare (nokia ceo?) got a speeding ticket.

[Edit to add]

In Finland, traffic fines are calculated as a percentage of the offender's most-recently-reported income. In January 2002, Anssi Vanjoki, 44, a director of the Finnish telecommunications giant, Nokia, received what is believed to be the most expensive speeding ticket ever— $12.5 million — for driving his Harley at 75 km/h (47 mph) in a 50km/h (31 mph) zone. Mr Vanjoki appealed the fine because his reported income dropped significantly about five days after the incident; because of the new data, the fine was dropped to $103,600, still the most expensive speeding fine in history.

Source: Oddee

[edit on 9/1/2010 by PsykoOps]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

That’s the same in Switzerland isn’t it aswell?

Which isn’t fair IMO I don’t see how because you earn more you should have to pay more it should be equal for everyone surely and if it was the other way around im sure there would be uproar over it.

Off topic rant over

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Yeah the problem is that vast majority of those who get a ticket don't make that much. There should be some kinda progressive system that would take that into account. Like let it be as it is but when you reach a figure of let's see 100.000e income a year the increase in fine would drop progressively.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I wonder how many of these laws continue to be valid? I also suspect that some of them, like the rule about needing a hunting license to set a mouse trap in California, are made up. Many of the American laws would be unconstitutional and should have been repealed by the legislatures.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ah I see and yes I agree the way it is now isn’t IMO fair or as fair or as good as it could possibly be (which I think we should always aim for with our laws and governing) no matter how ambitious that may sound.

Gotta at least aim to be the best if you want to be the best

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Someone on a panel show on the BBC last night I think came out with a good one -

I a certain large tribe? Community? In Africa, when a woman marries a man she is no longer allowed to use any of the vowels in his name in any sentences when she talks to show respect to the man! - I really can't see how that works - and I don't know if it's an actual law...

Weird one that right?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
QI ftw! Yeah that is really strange law. Makes you wonder if they try to find a guy called Jack or something so it won't be an that bad

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have another crazy law that's not on the list.

In Alabama, it's illegal to walk down any sidewalk in the state with an ice cream cone in your back pocket.

Who would actually do such a thing!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If I remember right, it's also illegal in Utah to carry an empty violin case down Main Street in Downtown Salt Lake City. Wow, how in the heck do people come up with these things?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's all here guys and gals..

www.dumblaws.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonfriend
If I remember right, it's also illegal in Utah to carry an empty violin case down Main Street in Downtown Salt Lake City. Wow, how in the heck do people come up with these things?

Because it may contain a Tommy Gun..

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 22-250
It's all here guys and gals..

www.dumblaws.com...

Thanks for posting the link.

There is a law in Alabama that states that "Boogers may not be flicked into the wind." That is so gross.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Rocketgirl]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Are these all actual laws in the lawbooks?

Of course they are! Do you really think an ATSer would give unsubstantiated information as though it were fact? NEVER!!!

The only reason no sources were provided is...

#51: In The United States it is illegal to cite the books silly laws come from.

Edit to add: But it is perfectly legal to cite websites that only provide citations to the non-crazy laws amidst a myriad of crazy ones.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Ragu23]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
English City laws

Hereford: It is illegal to shoot a Welshman in a Cathedral with a long bow on Sundays.

Chester: You may only shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow within the city walls after midnight.

York: It is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a long bow on any day of the week except Sundays.

Liverpool: It is illegal for a female to be topless in public unless she is a clerk in a tropical fish shop.

Source: www.vincelewis.net...

I am from Hereford, and there is a strange law where its still legal to shoot a welshman, if you are within the city walls, and you shoot him with a bow and arrow. (I am not sure if this law just prohibits this one thing, therefore making it legal to do it otherwise, eg shoot a welshman with a bow and arrow any day other than a Sunday.)

So this would mean you can shoot and kill a welshman with a bow and arrow on any other day than a Sunday?!

In Hereford (UK), its still legal to shoot a welshman, if you are within the city walls, and its after 12 noon, and you shoot him with a bow and arrow.

Source: Strange But True

I would love to know how the police follow up on such crimes with outdated laws.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I remember telling my (ex)girlfriend that I was thinking of moving to Canada, or at least visiting. She then decided to sit there for a few minutes telling me all these crazy laws about Canada. I stopped her and told her to shut it because I didn't care, not to mention most of the laws she was talking about, and the ones in this thread, are not used anymore.

Who is going to be arrested for beating their wife on the court house steps on ANYDAY? ANYONE. Things have changed, no more beating wifes! Same with lots of other things said in this thread.

And sorry not in a funny mood, otherwise I may be posting differently, but being completely serious this stuff is just outdated & stupid

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You forgot this one mate:

#51 - In Ireland from January 1st 2010, Blasphemy is Illegal, a 5 year jail sentence and a 25,000 Euro fine will be charged.

Good thread Cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join