It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floods kill over 160 in the Caribbean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The Midwest and Central Plain states aren't the only ones facing severe weather and heavy flooding. Over 160 people were killed and more are missing and feared dead due to heavy rains and floods. At least 60 people in Haiti were killed and an estimated 59 were died in near the Haiti/Dominican Republic border. At least one death was accounted in Puerto Rico due to the heavy rains.

Floods kill at least 160 in Caribbean
In the Dominican Republic, frantic relatives dug through the mud for loved ones as a makeshift morgue filled up with 100 corpses of people swept away in rains that devoured a small farming village.

Nearly 200 others were missing and feared dead, National Emergency Commission Director Radhames Lora Salcedo said Monday, hours after rains caused the Solie River to burst its banks before daybreak. Only a torrent of debris-filled mud flowed where houses once stood.

Bloated bodies caked with mud were piled in a hospital's makeshift morgue in western Jimani near the Haitian border. A reporter for The Associated Press estimated there were about 100 bodies.

Some of the corpses were left at the side of the road, waiting for relatives to identify and claim them.
[/url]

With the numerous tornadoes and flooding happening in the USA and now in the Caribbean, thoughts of global warming and catastrophic weather seems to be coming into fruition. I have many concerns about this year's Atlantic Hurricane season and can only hope that a big one doesn't come my way.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That's really too bad to hear. I can't imagine experiencing flooding so badly.
I went North for the long weekend, and the rains were non stop for 4 days, and there was a lot of flooding going on (pictures of it are in my blog), and it's horrible. The currents get going so fast, and it happens so quickly, you've really got to be careful. Hopefully there will be no more taken by the floods.

join