It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010, The End of the World?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
"Forget 2012. As far as many Mexicans are concerned, the ancient Mayas were being generous: the sky's actually going to fall next year. Why? Because it's 2010, Mexico's bicentennial, and Mexican history has an eerie way of repeating itself. Mexico's 1910 centennial, after all, saw the start of the bloody, decade-long Mexican Revolution, which killed more than a million people. And that cataclysm was precisely a century after the start of Mexico's bloody, decade-long War of Independence in 1810.

You get the picture. As a result, there's been no shortage of talk lately about possible unrest, especially in the form of armed rebel groups, erupting south of the border in 2010. But is there really a basis for concern? None as apparent as the popular grievances that existed in 1809 or 1909. But this is still Mexico; and while Spanish colonizers no longer oppress the country, and dictators like Porfirio Diaz aren't brutalizing campesinos, the country nonetheless is reeling from the worst criminal violence in its history and one of its hardest economic slumps. "We are very near a social crisis," JosÉ Narro, the director of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) in Mexico City, said recently. "The conditions are there.""

Bicentennial Anxiety: Why Mexicans Are Wary of 2010

I would have posted this in the breaking alternative news, but posting there is being screwy with my computer.

This article has a lot of interesting things toward history repeating itself in Mexico.

Later I'm going to look on the timewave calculator and see if anything goes together.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Nope. Clock is still ticking. TV still working. Cars still driving by outside.

-sigh-

join