It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas....Live it like its your last.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Please feel free to move this thread if it is deemed to be in the wrong forum.

I have a feeling that this festive season could be our last as we know it. There is talk of war, of removing our freedoms, of weather turmoil, not forgetting the religious angle covered by the book of revelations.

Whether these things will come to pass or not, I have a suggestion.......

Lets spend time with those we love and care for. Tell them you love them. Lets make the children smile, hell lets spoil them more than usual !. Fix broken relationships, call your family that you havnt spoken too for a while and make sure that the family foundations are in place for whatever may come our way.

If the above mentioned catastrophes dont come to pass, well at least you will be happier knowing that the important things are in place.

A peacefull and loving festive period to you all who enter the door of ATS.

Respects

[edit on 23-12-2009 by captiva]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I too have felt this way for the past coming weeks, as if this will most definitely be the last as we know it. It has been said in the past, but those who cannot see the outlook of our world as it is today, as being closer than ever before to the life changing moment, then they are in denial. Whether it shall come to pass or we will once again avoid such, is yet to be seen, but as you said, it will not hurt to live as it was your last regardless.

Thanks to the economy, I know that many families will be going without the regular gift givings of the holidays, mine included, but this is a good thing. Perhaps it will allow people to get a little more in tune with the real reason for the holidays, the togetherness and the relationships that build around friends and families.

Dinner and spending time with them as we move into the next decade will be all I wish for this season and come what may, I shall be prepared and willing to face it.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

The thing is what is christmas really and who are you celebrating really?

So you people should ask yourself, really what it means. Ignorance is not a defence when worshipping something, whether you know of it or not.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Peace and good luck to you and yours. One day, in the not so distant future, Im sure, we will realise how important the family bond will be.

Respects

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by captiva

So you people should ask yourself, really what it means. Ignorance is not a defence when worshipping something, whether you know of it or not.

How does reaching out to people, focusing on your children, and sharing love and good will NOT jive with the Christmas Season?

Perhaps you simply don't understand why "we people" celebrate it?

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

So you just do that do you, lol.

I am just saying if you celebrate something be sure its what you want to celebrate.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I am non religious . I see this holiday period as possibly the last that allows me to strengthen family ties built over many years. I am a father to 3 and grandfather to 5. The spirituality and love that is the family unit is what is important just now and I will take this opportunity to let my family know this.

Respects

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Regardless of why you celebrate it, what matters is 'HOW' you celebrate it. While Christmas may be to some (or most rather) the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, it should be to everyone at the very least a time for respect and caring.

It should be like this all of the time, but sadly, that isn't how the world is. At least around Christmas there is something... special... that happens to even most of the cynical and ignorant people to make things just a little more cheery. I look to that aspect. That is what makes it all worth it. Whatever bad may be happening, the feelings of the season no doubt help people to see things in a different light and perhaps in a new perspective.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Wow. A christmas message that includes both hopelessness AND despair. Well, at least you covered all the bases. Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well, this isnt depressing at all is it!

reply to post by lpowell0627

So you just do that do you, lol.

I am just saying if you celebrate something be sure its what you want to celebrate.

Christmas might have lost its original meaning to a degree, but its not always a bad thing. Its still about spending time with your family & friends, and generally not being an arsehole. But now there's more of an emphasis on presents, getting tipsy and consuming enough food in one day to feed a small african country.
You cant expect that traditions wont evolve into something else over time, especially one's that are so old.

I for one am looking forward to celebrating Jesus' fake birthday.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

reply to post by captiva

This is why I don't celebrate Christmas. I'm not a Christian and I'm not a spendaholic, debt-laden,alcoholic glutton.

If you can't be civil with your family the rest of the year, why bother forcing it during Christmas?

I contact my family at least once a week, all year round.

The shouldn't have to be a set time for respect and caring. Try doing it all year round instead of some proscribed day.

Personally I can't stand the consumerism and waste.
It is a time where domestic violence increases due to stresses imposed by some sad need to spend up and get into debt, where people get pissed and pissed-off while wishing everyone " Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year".

I'm buying no presents and have asked that people don't get me any.
By all means spend time with your family, but understand that it shouldn't be just because it's Christmas. do it all year round or don't do it at all.

It's a time where people's loneliness is reinforced, where the homeless and broken are made to feel like #, where over-consumption and gluttony are tolerated.

I would rather try to be consistent all year round than fall victim to a misinterpreted cult of consumerist waste, forced familial felicitations and religious hypocrisy.

Bah humbug.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

I dont see how spending your time with those you love and care for at this time can be viewed as depressing. My intention was the opposite although now I realise that it will mean diffirent things to diffirent age groups and diffirent things to people who do not have family or children of their own.

Respects

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Christmas....Live it like its your last.

I do try and do that every year because as every year passes, those before me become fewer... just as they do with everyone.

Merry Christmas to all... no offense intended.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
When I was in primary school (those were the days!) I played Joseph in the school nativity. I took my role a bit too seriously to be honest. As a result, the 25th December will always hold a special place in my heart.

As for living everyday as your last......nah. If someone actually followed that through they wouldn't live very long, Shane MacGowan being a festive example of that, although he is a Christmas miracle.......HOW IS HE STILL ALIVE?

I'm dead set on seeing out a few more Christmases to be honest, plus I haven't even got my Mighty Morphing Power Rangers "Mega Tigerzoid" toy yet!

Fingers crossed for this year

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

lol shane mcgowan looks like the walking dead though, the last time i saw him was a while back now(some pogue tribute event i think).he must have an iron liver and the braincells of a newt

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I honestly think Christmas is the root of all evil. One time a year. One exscuise to put it off.

Mankind needs to be a family, Someone needs to put a bomb in the nativity and get these infantile traditions back to the 50's where they came.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

I dont see how spending your time with those you love and care for at this time can be viewed as depressing.

Respects

It isnt, the 'I have a feeling this festive season could be our last as we know it' is.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
i will live this christmas like its my last tomrrow, watch out Nottingham

lets remember the peoeple who can not enjoy it though, remember guys unwanted presents are always loved at hospitals and places with small children less lucky.

Merry chirstmas

[edit on 23-12-2009 by thecrow001]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
People die everyday. It doesn't take some big event for any day to be your last.

If I had listened to other peoples "gut" feeling, the world would have probably have ended 357 times this year.

top topics

join