It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning on hoarding canned foods? Better think twice!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenLo
reply to post by jibeho

Really hmm well lets look at the facts that all the diseases mentioned have only continued to climb in the number of people suffering from them. Surely there may be other contributing factor and even if this isn't the main contributing factor its still apart of the problem! Thanks for the input but "the proof is in the pudding" as they say.

Show me some actual science that goes beyond suspicion of what BPA may or may not be due to humans consuming extremely high levels by drinking boiling water from a plastic bottle. (I don't suggest drinking boiling water from anything) There isn't any human base science to back it up. I referenced various credible sources to substantiate my stance. The rest is mere fear mongering about a contrived threat. I can't recall the last time I fed my babies boiling formula from their plastic bottles. Polycarbonates are much safer. Ever see what happens to glass when dropped to a tile floor from high chair height.

BTW. Doom Daily News? Really?

edit to add: Chemical additives used in the food processing industry is an entirely different issue than the issue of BPA by itself. One should possibly examine any possible organic reactions between the two. Until then, I will drink my cold water from my 10 year old Nalgene bottle. It has served me well over the years.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by jibeho]

[edit on 20-12-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
With regards to the liners in canned food. You would have to consume about 100 cans a day to reach a tolerable level. A tolerable daily intake is how much of a substance can be taken in on a daily basis over a lifetime without appreciable health risk.

I certainly don't consume that amount on a daily basis. Furthermore, if you are hoarding for disaster you should be stocking up on dehydrated or freeze dried items to begin with. Most canned foods may only have a 2 year shelf life at best.

Don't worry about it and enjoy some canned corn on me.

This BPA freak out is based mostly on fear and very little on fact. BPA is one of the most thoroughly studied substances used in consumer products. Probably its most important application is its use in the lining of food cans to prevent food contamination from germs and can corrosion. Other common products that include BPA: eyeglass lenses, CDs, DVDs, computers, power tools, car headlights, sporting equipment, medical devices, incubators, and food and drink containers.

www.aist.go.jp...
unit.aist.go.jp...

[edit on 15-12-2009 by jibeho]

I know what your saying, but you have to take into account all the other chemicals, preservatives and crap that we consume every day. Its not like people consume 1 can of food per day only consuming tiny amounts of BPA.
Add that BPA to the chemicals in all the other food and drink we consume, the SLS / SLES in the soaps we use, our body can't fight them all off.
This is why people get sick so often and so many people have cancer these days, i know too many people right now that have cancer its so sad.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I'd disagree... not with your points on amounts by simply eating some canned peas... but to the overall accumulation of products and substances that cause a build up of Estrogen

When you factor in additive hormones, phylates from card boards and other coated substances, the amounts in the water supply what you have is people being exposed and feminized to a degree, the dropping sperm counts and other factors don't lie...

So I agree... simply eating a couple cans of canned peas won't do you harm by themselves, but the picture is allot bigger than this one chemical and factor alone...

I have eliminated 90% ...when I can I eat fresh, I try not to eat anything microwaved in plastics, lowered bottled consumption etc etc...

as best i can without being a loon...

I ADDED BLACK TEA 33% reduction in Dihydrotestosterone and 73% increase in good ol regular Testosterone...

For a few weeks I was an aggressive prick until I got a grip on it... but I feel great, sex drive
appearance
assertiveness
energy level
FOCUS

simply giving myself an herbal boost while eliminating phylates and Bpa as best I can has made a Noticeable difference, there is something to it...

agreed can food by themselves no... but there are allot of factors...

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
As same discovery were made in Europe. They also concluded that leak with BPA from the Polycarbonate, is mostly caused by the heat in the conserving process called "autoclaving". This process happens after the canns are sealed. In other words the best bacteria killer ever.

An autoclave is a device to sterilize equipment and supplies by subjecting them to high pressure steam at 121° C or more

Autoclave-Wiki

Well, i would not have any fear by hoarding canned food at all. Any sign of damages, no way i would buy or eat that cann. Still canned food Is better than nothing. Have more doubts about a drinking bottle, cause of bacterias

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I used to eat lotsa canned veges from Walmart while trucking. I am not sure, but I believe that the BPA comes from the cans that are lined with a layer of white plastic that you can actually see. If I remember correctly, the Walmart brand canned veges did indeed have the plastic coating inside the cans.

Probably the cans that are just plain old tin have zero BPA. To find out, one would probably have to buy a can of something and open it to see if it has the plastic; or contact the manufacturer and ask.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Canned goods would almost always be a last resort. You'd save them for even emergencies within emergencies, if you have any other access to food. When you are facing starvation it's not going to come down to side effects or abnormalities whether you eat the food or not.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Hmmm.....maybe it's a government plot to make sure that people don't horde food before 2012, or maybe they are purposefully putting this poison into our canned food for the sole purpose of killing us all off, because that's all we'll have in an emergency situation, if such a situation arises.....

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenLo
Cans laced with an inner coating that leaches poison into your food! Ouch!

The food processing world is reeling right now one day after a shocking new series of tests released by Consumer Reports revealed that many leading brands of canned foods contain Bisphenol A (BPA)—a toxic chemical linked to health risks including reproductive abnormalities, neurological effects, heightened risk of breast and prostate cancers, diabetes, heart disease and other serious health problems.

Tests Reveal Poison in Nearly All Canned Foods!

Full Article AND PETITION!

you know that if we all start actually listening to all the hype the government puts out there we might as well just kill our eselves... one week this will kill you and the following week it will not... pee on the government and keep putting away food... it is the one tihng that might save your ass...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
We have been consuming so many posisons that our bodies are used to them by now.

I am a firm believer that eating small amounts of things that aren't totally good for us actually hardens the body's natural immune system and when illness comes around it is the one's who have eaten the more pure foods that suffer first and worst as their systems have little fight in them and are unprepared.

I have a good stock of tinned food for reserves which I try to rotate and replace as I shop.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. Be extra healthy and suffer more when you're ill or not quite so healthy and be able to fend off illness.

I would be the first to admit that I don't always eat the best, but I haven't been sick for years and haven't seen a doctor in over 12 years.

This is the year though...I have enlarged my veggie patch and will be growing stuff like mad. I'm hoping to get a freezer and make them last as long as possible too.

I grow a great parsnip..mmmm!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
OOPS.

I had originally thought that BPA-contaminated cans were only the ones that were lined with the white plastic, but upon further research found out that the resin is clear, and BPA is in almost every form of food and beverage can.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I just found a bunch of glass jars at Goodwill. I'm new to canning, but since my parents both grew up dirt poor, they are familiar with it, so as soon as the garden comes in they're going to teach me. They're not into survival like I am, but they're happy to see the younger generation take interest in what they feel like is a lost art forum.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Since this posting is in the Survival category, I will add some additional food for thought when it comes to canned foods.

A while back I wanted to begin getting familiar with eating what I had and making do in ways that would test my ability to go months with just the supplies I had on hand. I mostly had canned goods like chili, soups of all kinds, tuna, beans, fruits, sauces, the usual spam, Vienna sausages and an assortment of candies and crackers in tin cans.

I thought I was doing OK until after about four months, I got so ill that I had to see a doctor and had to be hospitalized. The doctor discovered by health was in bad shape. My blood pressure was through the roof, my cholesterol was astronomical and I had other symptoms that had weakened my immune system to the flu. My flu turned into a lung phenomena which required three days of hospitalization and a number of weeks to recover from because of my malnourished condition.

Anyway, the lesson learned is that if and when the SHTF, from the moment you begin eating out of a canned good food, is when you will begin killing yourself with what you eat. You will be consuming too much sodium in one regard and you wont be receiving other needed nutrients on the other.

While I thought that taking vitamins and such would help me, the dangerous levels of sodium and other chemicals and dyes in food stuffs can kill you as sure as a planet sized meteor hitting you in the head. I personally believe there should be warnings about eating long term out of a can, because it can induce a heart attack and diminish your immune system so that when something comes along like the flu, it could end up killing you instead of just making you ill.

Anyway, your posting made me remember my attempt to live long term out of a can. These days I eat healthy while I still can and if and when I ever have to go into a survival mode, I will augment canned items with dry goods, and with some fresh grown greens and things that can grown while I eat from a box or a can.

Trying to survive long term to me is after a six month period. If after six months you have to survive off of what you have, you better have some variety because even living off of a half cup of rice a day for two months almost killed me. While I am sure my age and other factors contributed to my inability to eat a single item in the exact same quantity each and ever day in a day out over months. In retrospect, I can state that eating canned foods for a lengthy time can get to be a true challenge of ones ability to survive.

You have to know when to switch up on the food items and you have to know which foods are most likely to affect your health.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If I were to actually start worrying about what I eat or not..... or what I have stored... I might as well just die off..

I grew up on a farm and milked cows every darn day... drank milk right from the cow all of my life... still alive and healthy, been eating canned foods all my life as well, and still alive, drinking water all my life...and still alive...

you worry about it...you may as well cease to exist...

maybe it is some BS plot (another one) to make people not want to prep or store up foods.....

each person has to make their own call on this... me I keep doing what I am right now...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

Damn, I had to have that progresso soup last night! Gahhh! Most of the water I drink is bottled too...there is just no escape from the slow kill agenda!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The side effects may be bad and all that, but starvation will kill you faster...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
Since this posting is in the Survival category, I will add some additional food for thought when it comes to canned foods.

A while back I wanted to begin getting familiar with eating what I had and making do in ways that would test my ability to go months with just the supplies I had on hand. I mostly had canned goods like chili, soups of all kinds, tuna, beans, fruits, sauces, the usual spam, Vienna sausages and an assortment of candies and crackers in tin cans.

I thought I was doing OK until after about four months, I got so ill that I had to see a doctor and had to be hospitalized. The doctor discovered by health was in bad shape. My blood pressure was through the roof, my cholesterol was astronomical and I had other symptoms that had weakened my immune system to the flu. My flu turned into a lung phenomena which required three days of hospitalization and a number of weeks to recover from because of my malnourished condition.

Anyway, the lesson learned is that if and when the SHTF, from the moment you begin eating out of a canned good food, is when you will begin killing yourself with what you eat. You will be consuming too much sodium in one regard and you wont be receiving other needed nutrients on the other.

While I thought that taking vitamins and such would help me, the dangerous levels of sodium and other chemicals and dyes in food stuffs can kill you as sure as a planet sized meteor hitting you in the head. I personally believe there should be warnings about eating long term out of a can, because it can induce a heart attack and diminish your immune system so that when something comes along like the flu, it could end up killing you instead of just making you ill.

Anyway, your posting made me remember my attempt to live long term out of a can. These days I eat healthy while I still can and if and when I ever have to go into a survival mode, I will augment canned items with dry goods, and with some fresh grown greens and things that can grown while I eat from a box or a can.

Trying to survive long term to me is after a six month period. If after six months you have to survive off of what you have, you better have some variety because even living off of a half cup of rice a day for two months almost killed me. While I am sure my age and other factors contributed to my inability to eat a single item in the exact same quantity each and ever day in a day out over months. In retrospect, I can state that eating canned foods for a lengthy time can get to be a true challenge of ones ability to survive.

You have to know when to switch up on the food items and you have to know which foods are most likely to affect your health.

Thanks for the posting.

That which doesn't kill you man.

Roll with those punches and good luck.
Nothing short of outright proof will put me off canned food

Some people may suffer a bit but overall humankind is pretty hardy once we get down to it

Lilwolf is right.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
BPA is in everything.

It is also synthetic estrogen.

I wonder if this is why everyone is so emotional these days.

The shrinks are making bank and so are the drug companies as they are prescribing antidepressants like crazy, no pun intended.

I store dried beans and rice in jars instead of canned good since canned goods seem to have shorter expiration dates lately.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

okay that is freaking me out, we had some cans of Green Giant food here, because last year we started hoarding canned food, then realized it wasn't the greatest, (taste wise) so we used all the canned food, except for Tuna. Just two weeks ago we had the last Green Giant green beans, tasted like crap. We have vowed not have canned anymore just fresh and frozen. In fact we will be growing a garden this year with our own fresh veggies, which will actually sae us money.

If you want your veggies, I suggest fresh or frozen.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well, in the event of a major catastrophe, in which there is no possible way to feed my family or myself, and I happen to have canned food in the cupboards that just so happen to leech poison in to the contents of said food, and my only other alternative is to starve to death, I think that I will choose to eat the food inside of a can, poison or no poison, if it saves my families life and that of my own.

However, in a non emergency situation, the content of your thread is certainly worthy of consideration. I think that nearly everyone in the first world consumes canned food on a regular basis. Therefore, the dangers of doing so should be made known. You did just that. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysticalzoe
reply to post by endisnighe

okay that is freaking me out, we had some cans of Green Giant food here, because last year we started hoarding canned food, then realized it wasn't the greatest, (taste wise) so we used all the canned food, except for Tuna. Just two weeks ago we had the last Green Giant green beans, tasted like crap. We have vowed not have canned anymore just fresh and frozen. In fact we will be growing a garden this year with our own fresh veggies, which will actually sae us money.

If you want your veggies, I suggest fresh or frozen.

fresh or forzen is great ...now. But when it all shuts down and that goes bad... you are right back to the canned goods you don't like. Your call but I keep canned goods and we rotate them as we use them...

canned is better than having nothing at all... and if you can homecan them up ...all the better. You lose little to none of the nutritional values, and they taste better. We can up fruits and veges all year long... lots of fruit stands are here nearly all year long, so we take full advantage of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join