It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCLA: Stem Cells Kill HIV--Possible Cure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
A short, but informative story from the Advocate.

Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, made a stunning announcement Monday: Stem cells can be engineered to kill HIV.

The results, published Monday in the online journal PLoS ONE, demonstrate that human stem cells can be engineered into the equivalent of a genetic vaccine.

"We have demonstrated in this proof-of-principle study that this type of approach can be used to engineer the human immune system, particularly the T-cell response, to specifically target HIV-infected cells," lead investigator Scott Kitchen, assistant professor of medicine in the division of hematology and oncology at the Devid Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, said in a release. "These studies lay the foundation for further therapeutic development that involves restoring damaged or defective immune responses toward a variety of viruses that cause chronic disease, or even different types of tumors."

Story can be found here.

Ths is a very interesting development. Not only could this be used to treat HIV, it could also be used to cure a host of other diseases that require pin point accuracy.

What do you all think?

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think.....this has already been posted....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

.....but I think stem cells are great.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This was the first news I heard this morning, and almost made a thread about it. There is another thread in regards to the subject.

But, on topic: This is wonderful news.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join