It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC knocked out by ANOTHER power failure

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Are you saying that the part about costing more to operate in the winter is made up?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
As someone doing a compsci degree, I would find it hard to believe they could have the programming down right on the first try.

Didnt a mars orbiter crash b/c of a simple metric/non-metric error in the coding?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry something that has castastropic malfunction due to a rogue peice of bagette is doomed for failure.

There is just too much chaos in this world, too many variable, from slight imperfections in the materials used, to human error, to changes in inthe earth's electromagnetic sphere.

In three miles of machinery, there are plenty of chances for chaos to find a way in.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
It's a big NEW machine with lots of parts. Stuff is going to break. Even as a programmer I realize that you can't code a program one time through and expect everything to work perfect.

Trial & Errors makes things right.

Says the dis-info agent. We all know it's a conspiracy of the poultry from the year 2012 who have ascended to the level of being able to traverse time and have realised their mistreatment at the hands of humans, and who now want revengeeeee..

Clucky, ar la!

(in other news)

I agree with you completely. Programming at best for me is like putting a puzzle together. It's fun, but frustrating when you hit walls.

[edit on 2/12/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

The LHC is offline again. This project really is cursed. Perhaps there is something to the theory that the mere possibility of the LHC unmasking certain phenomena engenders forces which act backwards through time to sabotage it before this can happen.

"Maybe it was a birdy bread-bomber from the future," jokes Chris Stephens of the LHC Portal. "We ourselves find it hard not to suspect the involvement of some pan-dimensional police force, seeking to prevent humanity acquiring parallel-universe portal capability before we're ready to use it responsibly."

So I guess the pursuit of the so called God particle is on hold once again.

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

It could be, many of these problems look like somebody or organization is trying to stop it without looking like a complete sabotage.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
u guys really think their software is not tested? lol

they need to make a high quality software .. so the process to make it its very complicated and it should be highly stable

airplanes ... do u think they dont test it or dont use some kind of PROOF that the software works without a problem? yeah, you can prove it

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Talking about the LHC's power supply:

Source

A big part of the consumption is the hundreds of enormous superconducting magnets, though they draw much less power than equivalent conventional magnets would. The superconductors must be cryogenically cooled to temperatures between 1.8 and 4.5 kelvins (colder than outer space). If the temperature creeps even a fraction of a kelvin above that, the magnets stop working and lose control of the beam. An uncontrolled beam can melt 500 kilograms of copper in an instant, causing serious damage and halting the experiment for months. So it is crucial to keep power flowing into CERN at all times.

(Emphasis added)

And from the same article:

But CERN does not generate any of its own power, so how does it ensure an unbroken supply of electricity?

The LHC’s location enables a unique power procurement system: power comes in from both France and Switzerland. CERN has an agreement with French supplier Électricité de France (EDF) that guarantees a source of reliable, affordable electricity, with one caveat: for 22 days a year during the winter, power costs become prohibitive. (During that time, all the experiments at CERN are shut down.) The contract stipulates that the accelerators will operate mainly from spring to fall, when the public strain on the electrical grid is low. The agreement also means that CERN must reduce its electricity consumption on demand or pay a whopping fine.

But what if EDF’s system fails? Because the results of a power outage would be so disastrous, CERN also has a number of backup plans. For one, the laboratory has a system that can seamlessly switch to the Swiss power grid. In the event of a catastrophic failure that knocks out both the Swiss and French grids due to, for example, a natural disaster, CERN has several massive diesel generators designed to power submarines, which are poised to roar to life at the first hint of an emergency.

Does anyone know if they were running beams when they lost power?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I would like to express my thanks to whoever or whatever powers are at work trying to stop the LHC from functioning. If it is simply Lady Luck who is responsible, then I owe her my slightly used tiara.

Perhaps it is too soon to judge whether or not damage has been done. What if the LHC has sent waves percolating back and forth within the earth ... will anyone be able to put 2 and 2 together when the Andes suddenly flatten and three European nations vanish in the twinkling of an eye?

No, of course not, Science can do no wrong.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury

[...] If the temperature creeps even a fraction of a kelvin above that, the magnets stop working and lose control of the beam. An uncontrolled beam can melt 500 kilograms of copper in an instant, causing serious damage and halting the experiment for months. So it is crucial to keep power flowing into CERN at all times.

Does anyone know if they were running beams when they lost power?

So these magnets keep the beam on a centrifugal balance. That is a good question. If they have enough particles in this beam in lose of power suddenly occurs, then it is possible for them to melt something when the centrifugal force dampens in a straight force.

Let's just hope someone doesn't decide to pump pure hydrogen into the tunnels around the potential points the beam could melt/target a catalyst.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Wouldn't it be crazy if it didn't work until Dec. 2012? What a synchronicity THAT would be.

I mean for whatever anomalous thing they are trying to ultimately accomplish.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by bsbray11]

I have been saying this. I just have this hunch that this will happen. And they will continue with business as usual just for pride's sake. I think each scientist involved and the public in general would be to proud to possibly swallow their pride and say " maybe all the crazy consipiracy guys have something and we should just wait a month just in case". no they would continue on and evicerate the world for knowledge. I say this a little serious and a little tongue in cheek.

And without a doubt this project is too far gone be it financial or just man hours to ever give up or give in. After so much time and money the powers behind this machine and the scientists involved wouldnt give up if the earth around them was melting.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by tdatreefrog]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

I agree, why create this machine on the Planet?

Even in Space it seems like a bad idea...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The only thing I've been thinking about since this machine was first unleashed, was the possiblility that the Machine could emit an anomoly that would be detectable by another civilization.

Sort of a "you are here."

"We are here." Signal out in Space.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

I don't know if anyone has said this but what if the LHC screws things up like that movie "The Mist".

I love technology, but it can be like trying to take a pill to cure everything. I hope they know what they are doing.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sorry: To Ha'la'tha

Says the dis-info agent. We all know it's a conspiracy of the poultry from the year 2012 who have ascended to the level of being able to traverse time and have realised their mistreatment at the hands of humans, and who now want revengeeeee..

Clucky, ar la!

(in other news)

I agree with you completely. Programming at best for me is like putting a puzzle together. It's fun, but frustrating when you hit walls.

[edit on 2/12/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

Ha! The poultry part is something I've been thinking about recently. Chicken demons are set to descend. Nice touch!

ColoradoJens

[edit on 2-12-2009 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
L ame
H acked
C rap

Maybe Nassim is right....there is no God particle, they just keep getting smaller and smaller....hmmmmm....Unified Field Theory.

While I don't want to attack any of the major unified field theories, I don't know where your information comes from. Larger particles are found just as often as smaller particles. And the line between particle and wave is all but gone in some models of field theory, so I'm not sure if you just convey your idea poorly or if you have no idea what you are talking about and think you understand physics after watching a BBC or PBS special.

The LHC is very large machine using cutting edge technology. As with many major physics projects some of the tech is literally brand new... things are going to break on their own. Although with the amount of terror induced by ignorance, I would always worry about vandalism.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The Bad Woo-Woo is Out to Get You.

The shamans say there is great danger ahead. Seek the door no more.

Seriously people. What use is knowing about particles? I don't. That electron one turned out pretty good.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TonyBravada
I'm not sure if you just convey your idea poorly or if you have no idea what you are talking about and think you understand physics after watching a BBC or PBS special.

Hey that makes 2 of us! How about a little of both?

Can someone please tell me what the shipping charges are to send a case of duct tape from Dallas to Switzerland?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Some people here are really... really primitive

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Let me just say I am not convinced this thing is safe, I have heard representatives from CERN say that particles collide at the speed of light in nature or something to that effect.

Please correct me if I am wrong but are they not intending to accelerate the particles in opposite directions to a speed just less than the speed of light and crash them together ?

Would this not create an impact equal to much more than the speed of light because of the two particle streams are both travelling at near the speed of light, much like two cars travelling at 100 klms per hour produce a collision equal to 200 klms per hour?

Do particles collide at 1.5 times the speed of light in nature ? Is that even possible ?

If they are going on the big bang theory all matter is moving away from the original point is it not? and nothing travels faster than the speed of light does it? So is it even possible in nature for two particles to collide at a relative speed above the speed of light?

Would the guy from CERN answer these questions please? As well as anyone with the knowledge to explain how a particle collision above the speed of light could happen in nature.

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

yes no light in the toilet is bad, especially with all the stuff ups that can occur whilst one is trying to relieve bladders and or bowels...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join