It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Drugs Illegal?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Because drug use decreases productivity and encourages people to waste their money or to get money from less-than-savory places to support their drug use. If drugs were legal, many people would become less productive at home and in the workplace.

That's my own opinion. Not sure if anyone knows, I'm not very vocal about it, but I seriously have an issue with drugs.

But I agree that people should have the choice. Therefore, make it legal, you all can go have a blast, but I know I would stay clean and I would stay right here.

Really, I don't like any mind-altering substances. Alcohol even freaks me out a bit. I no longer take anti-depressants or any psychological medications.

I mean, that's your brain. You only have one. It won't ever be the same again. Why bother messing with that? It's your body. Why bother taking a risk that you could harm yourself? Even if the risk is low, why take it at all? I've heard horror stories, I just... ugh. Why do you take substances to enjoy yourself? Why not just enjoy life? Drugs increase the risk of making a bad decision and putting yourself or someone else in danger.

As a liberal college-aged student, I am in the vast minority on this issue. I have many friends who do drugs. If you want to go ahead and do it, please, feel free. But for goodness' sake, do not hit me with your car because you are driving high. Do not steal from me to support your habit. Do not approach me or be in the same space as me if you are high. Don't pull crazy stunts that could endanger anyone, or anything, including feeding drugs to animals or doing something that could harm another organism because you are high.

Because I will get super pissed off. So what, I like the fact that "the man/the NWO" keeps drugs illegal. I wouldn't mind if it was legal if it could stay the heck away from me.

This is a sneak peak into the Raven that you don't know. I get teased for it all the time because I'm "straightedge." Actually, out of "sex, drugs, and rock&roll" I've got 2/3 covered. You can keep the third for yourself.

And I seriously plan on keeping my distance from this forum because I can see myself being picked on, just like in the political forums.

And really I don't think drugs should be legal because I don't want more parents caught up in that. It endangers children, because it's such a black hole for cash, and because people can do dangerous things both for and on drugs. Yes, not everyone does.

But you CANNOT deny that some people do.

[edit on 11/29/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

Pretty much. Of course drugs first started out being illegal because of profit, but then it gradually gave way to an awesome cover story and excuse to militarize the police and increase numbers. It also allows them to skew the lines of privacy by allowing drug tests and stuff. Besides if some drugs were legal we would be a way more observant and smarter society.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

because drugs make you stupid and you become an annoyance and a hazard to the community at large, that's why.

we don't care if you want to smoke yourself retarded every day, but when you do, you insist on inflicting yourself on others.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

A real market can regulate itself....look at our economy and how manipulated it is.(Too big to fail??)
My initial position is why does milk and bread and gas go up but the price of drugs stays the same?
Its because its a correct market...no manipulation.
You manipulate too much and you get killed for it.
Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered as they say.
I wish the rest of the economy worked like this.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

because drugs make you stupid and you become an annoyance and a hazard to the community at large, that's why.

we don't care if you want to smoke yourself retarded every day, but when you do, you insist on inflicting yourself on others.

But that' simply not true.

Some of our greatest thinkers, artists, musicians, philosophers, scientists and even politicians have ventured into alternative territories.

You can't tar everyone with the same brush.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Their illegal for the same reason moonshine is illegal. The Government Can't Tax It!

also, the CIA dooesn't want the citizens to get it because they want it all for themselves!!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

I know your reply was to the OP but I just wondered if alcohol is considered the same in your eyes? Not trying to bust your balls or even disagree with you, just wondering, cause I've been in the company of both "smokers" and "drinkers" and I found the drinker to be much more annoying...much more dangerous too. But thats just my experience.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

I find alcoholics to be as irritating as those who smoke pot on a regular basis.

If you do it like, once a month, that's fine. I can't tell and I don't care.

But if it's like, twice a week or more, that's an issue. And I can typically "tell" if someone smokes weed often, because they remind me of spiritual zombies, I have more trouble identifying people who drink often.

People who drink typically don't feed things that contain drugs to animals.

[edit on 11/29/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. Abusing anything tends to be somewhat annoying.

Hahahaha had to edit my response because of your edit....how true hahaha.

[edit on 11/29/2009 by JohnnyR]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I just finished a Drug & Crime class and wrote a 15 page research paper on "The War on Drugs - a Failure". I chose the topic. I stand 100% behind the fact, it is a failure based on my hours of research and interviewing close friends who are federal DEA agents. I feel like I know this subject better than I know the Bible which I was brought up on and made to read every day.

Many people do not even know the history of drugs and how the laws that were put in place came about. Based on my research, before drugs became illegal they were not really a "problem". However, certain foreigners brought some drugs over and tended to be the ones who used them. We all know how much the Chinese, Mexicans and all those Europeans were hated back then. All the poorest people were these imigrants nad pretty much slaves to everyone back then. Those in the position to do so decided those foreigners were "bad" and the drugs they brought over were bad - even though the drugs did not cause any more crime. Drugs became illegal. There was no real research to find out if all those drugs were causing more crime. It was a social decision based on racists feelings towards minorities.

The only reason alcohol is legal - again - is because city officials needed revenue and decided to tax alcohol.

Alcohol and cigarettes kill more people than all drugs. Marijuana has never killed anyone. And those who end up in the hospital or dead or arrested on a DUI with marijuana in their system - have other substances in their system too.

There is actually more crime as a result of drugs being illegal - than there is crime as a result of people being on drugs. There is more and more money spent on the WOD each year - and NOTHING has changed. Fact that more money is spent on fighting this war than on getting treatment for those who are addicted.

I have a serious addiction to caffiene. It is in fact a drug. After studying the brain in depth and how each and every single drug affects the brain and the body - my caffiene addiction is not much different than those addicted to illegal substances. Go figure, huh. I have never used an "illegal substance" and will never use them - even if they become legal.

I hate "drugs". I hate what they do to people and how they destroy lives. But our war on drugs and making them illegal is NOT the answer. I did not feel this way until after I finished my class and the mass amounts of research I have done.

I could go on and on. Well, I wrote a 15 page paper on it

[edit on November 29th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
In fairness to those who abuse drugs, including alcohol, countless studies have shown that "addiction/alcoholism" is a disease which requires one to seek out help, be it professional or otherwise.

I am not an abuser, nor am I even an occasional user--including alcohol--however, I do try to look at those caught up in addiction through a lens of compassion. That said, the onus does fall on the addict to seek out help. And there's a LOT of it out there, if you're ready to quit.

Furthermore, my compassion doesn't preclude my agreement that, for instance, someone who drinks and drives has a price to pay to society when he gets busted.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

If i can help it...you won't get picked on.
I'll back you up.
Don't stay away from there for fear of being picked on...you have alot of back up here and a good brain to pick.
Speak your mind.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

You're a sweetie.

We'll see how things go. I just have a bad feeling. But GreenEyedLeo upped my confidence a bit.

It's such a personal topic, you know. You either feel strongly for it or against it and discussing it just gets under your skin. At least I'm like that, anyway.

I don't like people talking about drugs when I'm around, in my real life.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Reply to post by ravenshadow13

Raven--thanks for your thoughtful input herein.
Question: why is it, do you think, that the mere discussion of drug/alcohol use/abuse upsets you so?
These are people, too, however sick they may be.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I am strongly against it and yet strongly for it.I am a middle of the road kinda guy.If i can't talk about it then I must be one side which i strongly oppose....I like to be able to talk about things.

Well since we are not allowed to admit drug usage then just be objective.
Its just a conversation.
Don't be negative...this might actually work this time around.
If you see a stoner then alert the mods and they will be gone...you have lots of support and nobody is gonna look down on you for not doing drugs if we do this right.
Its a collective effort...if you see it alert the mods.
If you have anything to add then add it.
If you need help then u2u me and i will give you a helping hand defending you from the stoners.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Drugs are illegal because they make money for TPTB being illegal.
Drugs are illegal because under that status it can operate freely in the shadows.
Drugs are illegal because it funds the underground economy.
Drugs are illegal because the profits cannot be traced.
Drugs are illegal because it's profits fund nations.
Drugs are illegal because it justifies the justice.
Drugs are illegal because it fills jails.
Drugs are illegal because they work.
Drugs are illegal because most pharmaceuticals are derived from them.

shall I go on?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mantic
Drugs are illegal because they make money for TPTB being illegal.
Drugs are illegal because under that status it can operate freely in the shadows.
Drugs are illegal because it funds the underground economy.
Drugs are illegal because the profits cannot be traced.
Drugs are illegal because it's profits fund nations.
Drugs are illegal because it justifies the justice.
Drugs are illegal because it fills jails.
Drugs are illegal because they work.
Drugs are illegal because most pharmaceuticals are derived from them.

shall I go on?

Well said.

No need to...you followed the money good enough for me.
Every good conspiracy is about following the money is it not??

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
mantic- Actually most pharmaceuticals are derived from plants and animals. Not drugs.

Anyway, I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. I didn't have a problem with it until I saw someone high on marijuana for the first time. It just creeped me out, I can't put my finger on it. And after that I had friends struggling with various drugs, from pot to ecstasy to heroin. They are still my friends and I love them, but in some cases it has caused serious harm or enabled bad decisions to be made.

It's not something that I want for myself, or something I want to be around, or something I want to hear about. I know someone who likes to talk about all of the things that he supports marijuana for, and he gets high everyday, and it makes me want to puke. I actually had to stop being friends with him because of the peer pressure that I needed to accept drugs as being okay. I just don't think that they are, and he drove me off the wall with it, and made me very upset.

That happened like, three weeks ago. Not even kidding. He was my friend but I couldn't deal with him complaining anymore.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
One of the foremost reasons a lot of drugs were first made illegal, was pure and simple racism. Often simplified as a minority problem that had to be kept out of white neighborhoods at any price. Even if that price included blatantly fictional "scientific" fairy tales. Or the most laughable propaganda ever produced.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I would be interested in reading your paper leo. Is there any reason why you couldn't post it, or make a new thread with it? It would be nice to get some well researched facts, not some "high times" website's info.

Anyway just sayin' it would be interesting to me

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join