It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is LORD in all caps?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by troubleshooter

LORD is always a translation of Yehovah meaning: Jehovah = "the existing One"It was the proper name of the one true God

There is no such word as JEHOVAH. It is a fake name.

The true name would be Yahweh taken from Y H W H.

please get your facts straight before you post.

Sorry but this point must be clarified, it is you who need to get YOUR facts straight before you post, so maybe you need to do some research yourself on this, because Jehovah is no fake name it is the English version of Yahowah.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10120ee0af57.jpg[/atsimg]

By your standards then all bible names that begin with JEHO in the bible are fake too, since the letter "J" didn't' exist back then. Jehovah is consistent with OTHER English names in the bible.
Since I studied the Hebrew characters and how the names were translated I know this to be true.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7adb98983367.jpg[/atsimg]

And since when do you know better than so many bible translators like the below link shows?

Pslams 83:18

Basically where the Tetragrammaton appeared in the bible they substituted "LORD"
The Tetragrammaton (יהוה) is composed of four Hebrew consonants, and it occurs 6,828 times in the approved consonantal Hebrew text of the Bible.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/957b213b4f80.jpg[/atsimg]

God has a name, "LORD" is a just title.
Totally removing God's personal name from the bible is and was a mistake.
Even if we don't get it just right, be assured God prefers it when you call on him by his personal name, rather than a basic title such as "LORD".

[edit on 29-11-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

[edit on 29-11-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Is LORD a corporation?

Does this capitalization indicate a 'personage or title' of fiction?

Loss Of Reality Dude.

..or something like that.

Good Old Delusion.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by troubleshooter

LORD is always a translation of Yehovah meaning: Jehovah = "the existing One"It was the proper name of the one true God

There is no such word as JEHOVAH. It is a fake name.

The true name would be Yahweh taken from Y H W H.

please get your facts straight before you post.

...and you should check Strongs Data before you criticize.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I could give you the religious answer.

But I am going to go with because you held the shift key down whilst typing.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Yeah, its more or less a title, something about the actual name of God being sacred so they have to use the word God or the word Lord. I always found it weird when people prayed to God because they never said his name, they just directed their prayer toward some vague name associated with a vague concept.

Same for Jesus, I mean Jesus isn't even his actual name it's just a translation of it, it's altered. Always struck me as weird, they're praying to the wrong guy and talking about POWER in the name JESUS, demons are supposed to shudder in that name, but it's the wrong name.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Sorry but this point must be clarified, it is you who need to get YOUR facts straight before you post, so maybe you need to do some research yourself on this, because Jehovah is no fake name it is the English version of Yahowah.

Its a very poor translation at best. However,Its not a Hebrew word and It is not Gods personal name period. The only people who use the word Jehovah exclusively are the Jehovah Witnesses.

By your standards then all bible names that begin with JEHO in the bible are fake too, since the letter "J" didn't' exist back then. Jehovah is consistent with OTHER English names in the bible.
Since I studied the Hebrew characters and how the names were translated I know this to be true.

No, but when the word Jehovah appeared in the KJV it was because of a mistranslation.

And since when do you know better than so many bible translators like the below link shows?

Pslams 83:18 translations
King James Bible
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Mistranslation

American King James Version
That men may know that you, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, are the most high over all the earth.
mistranslation

American Standard Version
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, Art the Most High over all the earth.
out of print

Darby Bible Translation
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, art the Most High over all the earth.
mistranslation
English Revised Version
That they may know that thou alone, whose name is JEHOVAH, art the Most High over all the earth.
mistranslation
Webster's Bible Translation
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
mistranslation

Notice how the following does not use the word JEHOVAH. Why is that?

New International Version (©1984)
Let them know that you, whose name is the LORD--that you alone are the Most High over all the earth.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
That they may know that You alone, whose name is the LORD, Are the Most High over all the earth.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
so that they must acknowledge you. Your name is the LORD. You alone are the Most High God of the whole earth.

Bible in Basic English
So that men may see that you only, whose name is Yahweh, are Most High over all the earth.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And let them know that the Lord is thy name: thou alone art the most High over all the earth.

World English Bible
that they may know that you alone, whose name is Yahweh, are the Most High over all the earth. For the Chief Musician. On an instrument of Gath. A Psalm by the sons of Korah.

I have already posted a quote from a fellow ATSer explaining the word Jehovah in detail.

God has a name, "LORD" is a just title.
Totally removing God's personal name from the bible is and was a mistake.
Even if we don't get it just right, be assured God prefers it when you call on him by his personal name, rather than a basic title such as "LORD"

His personal name written YHWH, spoken Yahweh. its comes from the Hebrew verb "TO BE" not a latin mistranslated NOUN.

I suppose next your gonna try to tell me that Jesus is not God,And theres no Trinity, And only 144000 elders are going to be saved.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Its a very poor translation at best. However,Its not a Hebrew word and It is not Gods personal name period. The only people who use the word Jehovah exclusively are the Jehovah Witnesses.

You are correct and I agree with you Jehovah is not a Hebrew word, but you totally ignore the chart I posted that show how the Hebrew letters or symbols are translated to English for all the other names that begin with JEHO.
Let me repeat the point, Jehovah is strictly an ENGLISH name. It is translated this way just like all the other English names are in any English bible.
I

And what about all the bibles that use it, that you just re-posted, for all to see from that link. All those translators are wrong, and your right I suppose?

His personal name written YHWH, spoken Yahweh. its comes from the Hebrew verb "TO BE" not a latin mistranslated NOUN.

Oh you mean this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ec873e766a5.jpg[/atsimg]

Latin is a different language again, so yes it would be pronounced different once again.

Indiana Jones and God's Name
In Spanish so you can hear them use another pronunciation, different languages pronounce it differently.

I suppose next your gonna try to tell me that Jesus is not God,And theres no Trinity, And only 144000 elders are going to be saved.

Now why would I do that?
This thread isn't about that, is it?
Stay on topic please.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

This thread isn't about that, is it?
Stay on topic please.

One of the moderators already established the difference between LORD and lord.What more is there to discuss?

When 'LORD' is in all caps, that is just to make it clear to the English reader that the word is a translation of YHWH from the original Hebrew. When it is spelled as 'Lord' or 'lord,' it is simply a noun denoting status.
That's it.

I guess you have changed the topic to "The Correct Personal Name of God".

Your translation comes from the Latin JHVH and yes when you supply the vowels it renders Jehova.

However, if you were correct in your charts it would have been read more like this -JAHWEH

The English pronunciation of the letter J (in Latin originally an I) has changed over time. Originally, the pronunciation would have been as the [ IPA: j ] (the 'Y' sound of the word 'You'). This has transformed into the [IPA: dʒ] (the 'J' sound of the word 'Juice') in modern English. Almost all other European languages have retained the [IPA: j] pronunciation of J.......

Hear, read all about it.
en.wikipedia.org...

And to be honest with you its really not that important. As long as you know God (Jesus) exists thats all that matters not a name.

There, I guess theres nothing more to talk about on this thread. Have a wonderful day.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Groupies--

Remember that the very earliest HEBREW texts of the Old Testament (like other ancient middle eastern written documents/monuments - mainly to save space) were WRITTEN WITHOUT the VOWELS INSERTED with the poss exception of Y (for letter I at times) and V (for long O at times)

We are here talking about the Hebrew canonical 'old testament' scriptures which were not voted into the 'Old Testament Canon' until after 120 CE, i.e. long after Jerusalem and the 2nd Temple was ground to powder by the Roman army in 70 CE) whose texts were UN-POINTED, that is they use Consonants only, no vowel-pointing..

Interestingly there was no fixed 'old testament' text (or firm list of sacred canonical books) while 'Ieosus' was still running around..as we can see from the Dead Sea Scroll fragments in caves 1-11.

So when the un-vowelled texts reads in the unpointed Hebew a phrase like: 'VYMR YHWH' ('And Yahweh said...' which the King James would express as 'And THE LORD said' ) ) for example, a reader looking at the unpointed Hebrew in front of him would have to insert his OWN vowels into his text (e.g. Vayomer YHWH) which would have sounded like in actual pronunciation as:

'Vah-yoh-mayr-ado-nye'

since the actual name of the clan god YHWH was not allowed to be pronounced as Yah-weh by anyone but a high priest at the Yom Kippur Ceremony in the Holy of Holies--which does not exist anymore.

The post-Exilic Judaeans were not allowed to pronounce (outloud) the name Yahweh (YHWH) since it was apparently the 'knowledge and sound of a name' which gave it power in magick spells (especially abused by the foreign goyim-gentiles against them), although before BCE 600 it was common to say the name YAHWEH.

The Jews who returned from Exile got a LOT more stringent legalistically speaking when they came back from Babylon in 530 BCE--it was only the most stringent legalistic priests of YHWH that came back (4 families out of 24 total; the other 20 stayed in Babylon and intermarried for the most part with the locals and many of these exiled priestly families changed their religion to the worship of the god ASHUR (with his 4 faces !) and other gods abroad...that's what mixed marriages will do for people !

Just remember: every time a post Exilic Jew came across YHWH in any unpointed Hebrew MSS they were reading, they would say EDONAI (or ADONAI) meaning 'my lord' and avoid the pronunciation itself YAH-WEH.

In around c. 960CE, (a little more than 1000 years ago) the Massorete Rebbes in Russia ADDED THEIR OWN vowel system to an unpointed (unvowelled) Herbrew 'consonantal' text version (known later as the MT) they held sacred--in other words they added what THEY believed the VOWELS should be in their OWN text version, but we have NO WAY of knowing if they were right every time, or whether THEIR OWN version of the consonantal Hebrew text was in any way shape or form valid or based on anything ancient (the Dead Sea Scroll copyists had a protoMT text along side other Hebrew text versions, copied between c. BCE 260 to 68CE--all unpointed - UN-vowelled, of course).

At QUMRAN (among the Dead Sea Scrolls caves 1-11) there were at least (3) other consonantal text versioins BESIDES the Masoretic consontal text that were circulating for more than 1000 years before (e.g. the Samaritan Pentateuch of 400BCE, and the Vorlage Hebrew unvowelled underlay to the later LXX Greek Septuaginta version of BCE 200, as well as the various Dead Sea Scroll unpointed versions of the Hebrew and Aramaic scriptures which differ from the Masoretic Text by as much as 17% or more in places if you count consonants letter by letter--so we are not dealing with ONE set of Hebrew-Aramaic 'old testament' texts here, but many text 'families' which do not match each other exactly word for word in the first place.

In the 2nd place, you can add whatever vowells you like to any consonantal unpointed Hebrew text (most are obvious fill ins 'from context', but there are some cases where ONE VOWEL can change an entire word or phrase, which we see when comparing the Masoretic Text with the Greek Septuaginta's Hebrew Underlay Vorglag).

See for example even in English how one SINGLE vowell (or two) can make a difference in meaning:

[BRK] Break/ Broke, Barak, Brake, &tc.
[MST] Mist, Mast, Most, Must, &tc.
[DL] Dual, Dial, Deal, Dole, Dale, &tc.
[TP] Tip, Top, Tap, Tape, Teepee, &tc
[SW] Sow, Sew, Saw, &tc.
[SHP] Ship, Shop, Shape, &tc.

Imagine reading a whole book with JUST Consonants ! (now you know what we theologians had to go through in front of our professors !!)

We can see in the MT (masoretic texts) that the pre-Jewish Canaanite sea-monster called LOTAN (Heb. LVTN, where V is used for Long O in many places) was pointed (expressed with vowells) by the Masoretes deliberately as LEVIATAN (LeViaTan), in order for the name to be muddled so it could not be used in magical texts. We see the same thing (mis-vowelling on purpose) with alot of the other 'pre-Jewish' Canaanite gods or monsters, e.g. the goddess of Death MUT which the Masoretes pointed as MAVET, &tc.

But with the clan god of post-exilic Yisro'el, the name YHWH was spoken as EDONOI, ('my master', 'my Lord') as a ritual periphrasis (deliberate ritual avoidance) of the magical sacred name Yahweh.

This was carried over into English as YeHoWah (Jehovah) by the use of the VOWELLS of EDONAI placed into the consonantal text of YHWH. But even in places were the Old Testament King James Version uses 'Jehovah', the Hebew consonantal text is STILL written as YHWH every time (except in Exod chapter 3 at the burning bush where the name appears in a completely different consonantal lettering = YHY 'SHR YHY i.e. Yehei Esher Yehei')

(this is a very weird phrase in Hebrew that nobody really knows what it means for sure: when Mosheh asks the burning bush creature: e.g. 'Whom shall I say sent me?' his answer was (shall we say) a little cryptic to say the least:

'yehei esher yehei' 'I am who I am, tell him he sent you,' which could mean 'tell them to mind their own business ! (I am who I am !!!)

How this morphed into YHWH is anybody's guess !! Does this help any? (and OliveOil you can freely quote me anytime !!)

[edit on 30-11-2009 by Sigismundus]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

Hi Sig,

This explanation is as clear as a bell. A tremendous help. Thank you!!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I am just gonna post a reply without continuing ready all this so if someone said this please disregard...in the first pages of your bible it says exactly why this is done...in my book its like a foreward before the table of contents i believe all the new books have it...It mainly has to do with the most high god as it is stated in old and new testament that there are many other lesser gods

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
First post on ATS so sorry if i break any rules

What if they got the translations correct? and perhaps there's another reason why it's cap'd?

The first passage is not capped:
"...And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7 Go to, let US go down, and there confound their language..." Genesis 11:7 OKJV

but this second one is:
"...And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of US, to know good and evil..." Genesis 3:22 OKJV

This definitely implies a unity of some sort, of multiple (more than one) beings.
Perhaps... and this IS perhaps, the word is capd when it implies the plural as oposed to the singular?

Just my thoughts. Not too sure past Genesis... i havn't gotten that far yet. It may be out there, and i may be way left field on this, but something just doesn't add up. This and other things, especially when you cross reference to something like the Qur'an or the Torah. Then again, i never really believed in an almighty god anyways. I mean, the guy sounds like a complete jerk manipulating people left right and center and selectively breeding whomever he chooses via 'divine intervention'. And having to test his subjects to see if they were loyal (or more likely that they feared him) instead of just reading their minds. To me, personally, he sounds like the U.S.... just one big bully who forces his will on others and preys on their ignorance and trust.

Cheers,

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Could LORD = SUN?

'Then the priest will take the jealousy offering from the woman's hand, lift it up before the LORD, and carry it to the altar.

(Numbers 5:11-31 NLT)

-------------------

Seize all the ringleaders and execute them before the LORD in broad daylight, so his fierce anger will turn away from the people of Israel

(Numbers 25:1-9 NLT)

-------------------

Then fire blazed forth from the LORD and burned up the 250 men who were offering incense.

(Numbers 16:27-35 NLT)

-------------------

"O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, prove today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant. Prove that I have done all this at your command. O LORD, answer me! Answer me so these people will know that you, O LORD, are God and that you have brought them back to yourself." Immediately the fire of the LORD flashed down from heaven and burned up the young bull, the wood, the stones, and the dust. It even licked up all the water in the ditch! And when the people saw it, they fell on their faces and cried out, "The LORD is God! The LORD is God!"

(1 Kings 18:36-40 NLT)

-------------------

The LORD is a jealous God, filled with vengeance and wrath. He takes revenge on all who oppose him and furiously destroys his enemies! The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet. At his command the oceans and rivers dry up, the lush pastures of Bashan and Carmel fade, and the green forests of Lebanon wilt.

(Nahum 1:2-8 NLT)

--------------------

If you refuse to listen to the LORD your God and to obey the commands and laws he has given you, all these curses will pursue and overtake you until you are destroyed. These horrors will serve as a sign and warning among you and your descendants forever. Because you have not served the LORD your God with joy and enthusiasm for the abundant benefits you have received, you will serve your enemies whom the LORD will send against you. You will be left hungry, thirsty, naked, and lacking in everything.

(Deuteronomy 28:45-57 NLT)

-------------------

For the land of Israel lies empty and broken after your attacks, but the LORD will restore its honor and power again. Shields flash red in the sunlight! The attack begins!

(Nahum 2:2-10 NLT)

--------------------

The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

(Isaiah 45:7 NAS)

--------------------

"I brought hunger to every city and famine to every town. But still you wouldn't return to me," says the LORD.

"I kept the rain from falling when you needed it the most, ruining all your crops. I sent rain on one town but withheld it from another. Rain fell on one field, while another field withered away. People staggered from one town to another for a drink of water, but there was never enough. But still you wouldn't return to me," says the LORD.

(Amos 4:6-11 NLT)

--------------------

So the Sovereign LORD says: "I will pour out my terrible fury on this place. Its people, animals, trees, and crops will be consumed by the unquenchable fire of my anger."

(Jeremiah 7:20 NLT)

--------------------

Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu put coals of fire in their incense burners and sprinkled incense over it. In this way, they disobeyed the LORD by burning before him a different kind of fire than he had commanded. So fire blazed forth from the LORD's presence and burned them up, and they died there before the LORD.

(Leviticus 10:1-2 NLT)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join