It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN achieves first particle collisions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Here comes both sides, for the bang in the middle!

By Jason Rhodes

ZURICH (Reuters) -- Scientists have smashed together proton beams for the first time in a 27-kilometre tunnel under the French-Swiss border in an initial step toward discovering how the universe came into existence, they said on Monday.

Scientists at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) hope experiments will already start giving clues about the origins of the universe in the coming months as the world's biggest particle collider starts moving to full power.
end quote

More here

www.reuters.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

hmm thats funny it doesnt feel like im in a black hole......

oh no wait there it is.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
RuhRoh Shaggy.

now I am not a physicist by any means, but from what I understand, couldnt this possibly wipe out everything we have ever known? Why are we putting such technology together to try to re-create something that nobody is even sure of. I mean comeon, even if the bigbang did happen, who says that we are doing it the "right" way? If weare doing it the "right way" than how do we know that we can contain it?Humans are smart, but we are not that smart, everything we do is by trial and error, cept this time, if there is an error, I dont think that any ofus would realize there was an error. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I just dont trust people(especially scientists)with my life, I dont care how smart they think they are.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Thanks for telling.

I was losing hope we would EVER hear about it again, after last year's comedy of errors...

And now, what?
Where do I look? :-)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
RuhRoh Shaggy.

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I just dont trust people(especially scientists)with my life, I dont care how smart they think they are.

And/or is there more to CERN than meets the eye. At full power the beam energy is quite fantastic, if there is a "window" for the beam to the outside world it would make a hell of a weapon.

Here is just how much energy and where it goes.

The experiment will hurtle two hair-thin beams of hundreds of trillions of protons around a ring-shaped accelerator at 99.99 percent the speed of light, knocking the beams together 11 000 times each second. According to CERN LHC accelerator physicist Rüdiger Schmidt, who is in charge of machine protection systems, each unimpeded beam is capable of melting a 500-kilogram block of copper.

Even the slightest malfunction could lead to a catastrophic accident, so CERN has spent nearly two decades devising an interlocking system of fail-safes. One of these is a method of safely purging a proton beam, which has a higher chance of becoming unstable the longer it is whipped around the circular accelerator. Every 10 hours the accelerator gets fresh beams. But first the old ones are dumped into specially designed absorbers called beam dump blocks.
end quote

more here. (plus pics)
spectrum.ieee.org...

Ps. on page 2

The 10-ton graphite cylinder is encased in 1000 metric tons of steel and concrete. Why not just make the whole thing out of lead or another heavy metal? It turns out that graphite is the only material whose low density and high melting point can resist the ravages of the proton beam. In experiments, researchers found that an 86-microsecond exposure of the beam would bore a hole 40 meters into a block of copper.
end quote

[edit on 24-11-2009 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Thanks, that made me feel a whole hell of a lot better.
I need to go find a virgin, fast.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

Thanks, that made me feel a whole hell of a lot better.
I need to go find a virgin, fast.

Don't worry, the design scientists probably saw the first series of "V" and wanted a bigger "gun".

Now they just need to create some tiny black holes to fire off with the proton beam.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The current collisions are a small fraction of the power available. It will be some time before they collide beams at a power strong enough to create thoretical black holes.

LHC is operating at low power for now.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
What ever you say about this project, isn't it amazing what man can do when they come together across borders, to work together?

We all know what they will find if anything, will be probably be used for evil intentions at first like every tech, but isn't it amazing what man is capable off.

Gary bell of that radio show he does, does have a point, the LHC does seem to have some link, maybe in occultic ways to the declaration of the eu.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

You put your trust and life in the hands of science and scientists everyday of your life in one way or another. As for the black hole, im no good with science either but they are tiny and will evaporate practically instantly. Everyday the earth is bombarded with high energy particles...the LHC is nowhere near as powerful. They are simply doing it in a controlled environment where they can monitor the results as far as im aware.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
A staggering amount of energy!

[Quote]
CERN: Big Bang machine sets power record
(AP) – 5 hours ago
GENEVA — Scientists say the world's largest atom smasher has broken the record for proton acceleration, sending beams of the particles at 1.18 trillion electron volts.

A statement by the European Organization for Nuclear Research says the Large Hadron Collider eclipses the previous high, which was just short of 1 Tev at Fermilab outside Chicago.

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
No black holes until the new year, it's party time!

LHC Xmas shutdown today - massive boffin roister planned

'Dr Dark Energy' still thought to be plotting mischief

By Lewis Page

Posted in Physics, 16th December 2009 16:19 GMT

Sad news for fans of the exciting new sport of ultra-violent hadron billiards today, as international science alliance CERN shuts down the Large Hadron Collider - most powerful particle-punisher ever built - for the Christmas break this evening.

Not everyone will be unhappy, though. Tinfoil-bonced apocalypse prophets, and more rational observers concerned over the possibility of an LHC-triggered interdimensional portal invasion, can relax and enjoy the festive season as of 6pm Swiss time tonight.
end quote

more here
www.theregister.co.uk...

top topics

join