It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police targeted in N. Ireland bomb attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Police targeted in N. Ireland bomb attack

edition.cnn.com

A car carrying a 400-pound bomb was driven through barriers at the Policing Board headquarters in Belfast, Northern Ireland, police said Sunday.

Two men ran away from the vehicle, and there was a small explosion about half an hour later, as the building was being evacuated, the Police Service of Northern Ireland said in a statement. They believe the bomb exploded only partially.

PSNI Chief Constable Matt Baggott condemned the attack as "reckless."

Barry Gilligan, the chairman of the Policing Board, called it "an attack upon the entire community."

He said the target was "not ju
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is a bit of a surprise considering the current attitude against terrorists.. The IRA have been quiet ever since 911. Could this be because the people who were faking the IRA bomb attacks in the 70'-90's have been in the middle east for the last 10 years faking suicide bombers and IED's to keep our troops out there?

So now they are talking about the troops leaving Afghanistan in the near future and a mystery bomb goes off in Ireland again. This all stinks of false flag operation to me.

edition.cnn.com

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

The IRA have never gone away. Yes there is a peace deal, but there are still the radical elements within the Irish Catholic community who will never accept a divided Ireland and British rule. I'm just glad this didn't fully explode as it sounds like it could have been devastating.

There are also plenty of punishment beatings and murders carried out due to secterianism as well.

This is not False Flag, there is a genuine danger posed by the Real IRA and other groups within N Ireland.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose

This is a bit of a surprise considering the current attitude against terrorists.. The IRA have been quiet ever since 911. Could this be because the people who were faking the IRA bomb attacks in the 70'-90's have been in the middle east for the last 10 years faking suicide bombers and IED's to keep our troops out there?

edition.cnn.com

?
The IRA have been quiet since The Good Friday Agreement in 1998 well before 911!
The bombings they perpetrated before that were real, there are plenty of people still suffering the affects of their actions.
It was no false flag.
To suggest it was is absolutely ridiculous and has no basis in reality.

Some are what they seem to be!

There is still a threat from a very small minority who regret their loss of control and power.
However, the paramilitaries, on both sides, still have influence through extortion and protection rackets, drugs etc.
They are nothing more than gangsters who want to control and extort.

The vast majoriy of Irish people, from both sides of border, just want to live a normal life and want to put The Troubles behind them.

And your theory that all the bombings etc in Afghanistan are false flag operations again lacks evidence.
Do you really think that there are no Muslim suicide bombers.
Naivety or stupidity.
I sincerely hope it is the former.

[edit on 22/11/09 by Freeborn]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Google Video Link

I don't doubt the threat is real plausible deniability is the key element in any false flag operation . You only have to look up operation Gladio to see how this kind of thing works.

Ireland is the prefect place to train our soldiers, its close to home and yet not on UK mainland. Its all very convenient to have a small amount of trouble going on there when our army has nothing better to be doing

With all the new anti terrorist laws thats been passed in the last 10 years people would have to be crazy to be blowing things up close to the UK. I think the timing of this whole event is very suspicious.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I have recently moved back home to Belfast after living in ottawa, canada for the last 10 years and i can only hope that things do not start going back to the way they were before i left. bombs and shootings are the last thing we need these days. I would really like to know what it is the real ira are wanting to achieve. they will never get a united ireland

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

?
The IRA have been quiet since The Good Friday Agreement in 1998 well before 911!
The bombings they perpetrated before that were real, there are plenty of people still suffering the affects of their actions.
It was no false flag.
To suggest it was is absolutely ridiculous and has no basis in reality.

The vast majoriy of Irish people, from both sides of border, just want to live a normal life and want to put The Troubles behind them.

Exactly .

The Real IRA and the Continuity IRA are coming together to do these attacks , be an indicator of how few their numbers are perhaps. Estimates i`ve seen suggest no more than a couple of hundred men .With varying levels of activity by supporters . stealing cars/smuggling etc.
These dissident group have very little practical support from the community .But of course they are still a serious threat , but nothing like the organisation from which they splintered .

For the majority of Northern Ireland's citizenry, there has been a notable shift in how grievances are dealt with between them.
Once people get a taste of taking their children to school without that constant threat of injury or death , its very hard to turn back .

What are Sinn Fein today ......

A former RUC officer and Orangeman is to become a Sinn Fein MLA replacing retiring Assemblyman Francie Brolly. Read more: www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

Could anyone imagine such a thing ..... even five years ago ?

Sometimes it takes the hawk to finish peace processes ,what the SDLP and UUP started , the DUP and Sein Fein finished.

Something Israel may be considering including talks with Hamas as a component of a peace plan floated by a former defence chief - Shaul Mofaz.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Trying to blow up Police stations will achieve nothing except bring the British army back from Afghanistan to the streets of N.Ireland and get more Irish people put into jail. With all the new Anti-Terrorist laws that have been passed in the last 10 years the people who get arrested will have even less chance of escaping the long arm of the law.

All the bombings in Iraq only started after the British army decided to join their American cousins in the bogus 'war against terror ' IMO you would have to be naive or stupid not to read between the lines here. Just because something is false flag doesnt mean there isnt any danger.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

The obvious lack of sophistication shown in this attack when compared with the efficient and devastating effect of attacks during The Troubles shows that this must only be a minority and lacking the support of individuals previously involved with terrorist activities.

The Provo's, INLA etc had expert bombers etc.
These would have been the first people approached to resume their former activities.
This attack was quite amateurish in comparison.
This suggests that the former terrorists are reluctant to get involved.

If it had been a false flag operation performed by Intelligent Agencies etc then it again would have been devestating in effect.
They would have wanted maximum publicity.
This barely caused a ripple in MSM.

Are you unaware of the bitter dislike and ancient enmity between Sunni and Shia Muslims?
It is also fair to say that there is a fair amount of discontent about the continued presence of foreigh forces in Iraq.

That there are conspiratorial aspects, past and present, to both Ireland and Iraq I have absolutely no doubt.
To suggest that all the bombings are false flag operations is just ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

You do make some good points there, this does seem to be a bit amateurish. The attack seems very reckless and daring so this might be a bunch of new guys. Maybe this is just the latest batch government sponsored terrorists. Everyone has to start somewhere.

It all seems very much out of blue and very pointless. The British government has never given in to these tactics in the past so why would anyone decide to risk their lives and liberties to start the whole thing up again? Especially as there would seem to be much less support and tolerance for this kind of behavior these days.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
i wonder how many more CATHOLIC policemen have to die for these animals to be finally driven out forever

no one wants them - they are killing because thats all they can do - they have NO support anymore

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose

It all seems very much out of blue and very pointless. The British government has never given in to these tactics in the past so why would anyone decide to risk their lives and liberties to start the whole thing up again? Especially as there would seem to be much less support and tolerance for this kind of behavior these days.

Their short term goal ......

Destabilisation of Northern Ireland's current political arrangement would be the most they could hope for in the near to long term.

They would only love to have the PSNI respond in a heavy handed manner or have British troops on the streets again .In the hope that resentment is stirred and the potential for an `incident/flashpoint`greatly increased.

In the past, such a response was the greatest I.R.A recruiting Sargent . But thankfully , it would seem lessons have been learned from the past, albeit at a heavy cost to life.

And now these dissidents find themselves on opposing sides to former colleagues .
Poachers make the best gamekeepers.

I wouldn`t be surprised if Sein Fein are using everything at their disposal to thwart these splinter groups.

Their political lives depend on it.

top topics

join