It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday predictions.........Lighten up people!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Don't Be Scared!

So I was just reading up on all the doomsday predictions that have been around over the years and from where I'm sitting things don't look too bad. I'm not buying all the 2012 propaganda, it's been blown way out of proportion! Here is a list of all the supposed end of world days from the past.

1. Many Christian Europeans entered the year 1666 with trepidation: The Bible describes 666 as the ominous Number of the Beast. A prolonged plague that had wiped out much of London's populace in 1665 didn't help assuage fears, and when the Great Fire of London (pictured in an illustration) occurred, many believed their time had come.

2. Since its founding in the 1870s, the Jehovah's Witnesses, a Christian offshoot, had prophesied that the world would end in 1914. Though nothing of the sort happened in 1914, ever since then, the religion's followers have been predicting that the world will end "shortly,"

3. The appearance of Halley's comet--which is seen from Earth every 76 years--has been seen as an omen of disaster throughout history. The comet's impending arrival in 1910, for instance, stirred apocalyptic hysteria among Europeans and Americans, many of whom believed that the comet's tail contained a gas "that would impregnate the atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet," according to French astronomer Camille Flammarion, as quoted in the book Apocalypses. Some profited from the panic: Sales of masks and "comet pills" skyrocketed, as did oxygen supplies, especially in Rome, where people hoped to keep themselves alive on bottled air until Earth passed through the comet's tail, the book said.

4. In his 1997 book Ice: The Ultimate Disaster, author Richard Noone predicted that on May 5, 2000, the planets would perfectly align--and end life as we know it by sending melting ice (above, the Austfonna ice cap melts during the Arctic summer) barreling toward Earth's Equator. Noone argued in the book that Earth's previous axis shifts had coincided with tremendous climatic changes--such as ice ages--and that such "almost unimaginable results" would happen again. No such calamity occurred, and many scientists are now concerned about ice for another reason: Warming temperatures are gradually causing the world's frozen regions to melt away.

5. Y2K - A 1984 computer-trade publication first warned of a cataclysm occurring on January 1, 2000, the Wall Street Journal reported, when a bug caused by a calculation error would cripple computers and other machines and lead to mass chaos. The column described how to purchase an anti-Y2K amulet and lifesaving Y2K-repair tools, the paper said. Evangelicals also recommended that their followers stockpile food and prepare for the worst, according to the Washington Post. Such leaders as Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson (see sixth photo) hinted that the turn of the millennium would bring Christ's return, as described in the Book of Revelation, the Post reported.

6. May 5, 1997 Sheldon Nidle Actually, a whole bunch of things were supposed to happen. First, there was to have been a mass landing of flying saucers on Dec 17 1996, followed by our planet moving into the "Photon Belt" by the end on 1996. Then, on May 5 1997, the "comet" Hale-Bopp was to have delivered 10,000 "ambassadors" to their Australian colony. The rest of Nidle's "updates" are quite hilarious, as he tries to explain why the promised landings never materialized.

6. December 6, 1999 Cutting Edge One of the more unintentionally funny sites it has been my pleasure to read, this article details how the wicked Illuminati are planning to kickstart the End Times by crashing the Galileo probe into Jupiter, thereby turning it into a second sun in the sky. (Didn't I read this in 2010?)

Read the rest here if you enjoyed this

news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.2think.org...

[edit on 22-11-2009 by Broonie]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
All I am getting at here is don't live life worring that it will be the end soon, none of these predictions have came true and we are all still here. You should live life like it was your last day everyday, be positive and enjoy every moment

Peace

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broonie

Don't Be Scared!

1. Many Christian Europeans entered the year 1666 with trepidation: The Bible describes 666 as the ominous Number of the Beast. A prolonged plague that had wiped out much of London's populace in 1665 didn't help assuage fears, and when the Great Fire of London (pictured in an illustration) occurred, many believed their time had come.

Thank you for this little tid bit of information... That is amazing.

I remember watching the movie Batman Begins, When Bruce Wayne is speaking with Ra's Al Gul. Ras explains to Bruce what the purpose of the League of Shadows was, and it was to restore balance whenever a civilization reaches it's peak.

He mentioned that it was the League of Shadows that burned London to the ground if anyone remembers.

Very interesting that it happened in the year 1666. Nonetheless even more interesting that the bubonic plague killed 100,000 people the same year. That must of been such a mind rape for Christians back then, that it makes me wonder about the possibility of a conspiracy back then.

As for me... look, I only have a problem with Nuclear Weapons. Humanity has only been iving in the Nuclear Age for 65 years... and already it's left a good mark on Japan. I just think it's likely that the nuke will leave it's mark again, and I certainly hate to imagine the chain of events that will follow afterward.

I think you need to recognize that many people aren't worried about the end of the world... they are worried about WWIII, and the end of America... stuff like that. Yes humanity will most likely march on as it always does, but that doesn't mean you won't experience some of the worst times the world has ever seen.

I think of Doomsday as SHTF... that's all... and make no mistke about it... The S*** will hit the Fan.

As far as ATS goes, if you take away the Planet X people... most posters aren't saying the world will come to an end... They are saying the world "as we know it" will come to an end... and there is a major difference.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Yeah I understand what you mean. I agree if "doomsday" is to happen I believe nuclear weapons will be involved, it will not be natural disasters that will start things, it will be us humans. Its possible weapons could trigger natural events. Im just trying to point out that people shouldn't live their lives in fear of things that may not happen, be positive about things and keep you head held high

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
its human nature to project bad things happening.... and to find 'codes'
in the written word... to see faces and pictographs in cloud formations

another factor to consider is 90% of westerners are sublimely & overtly conditioned to follow the Armageddon line-of-thought, espoused by the Judeo-Christian prophetic & Apocalyptic Books.

Doom is programmed into out psyches every day in numbeous 'messages'...
but if one keeps a level head, then enjoys these scary stories as much as one is of rapt attention, sitting round a campfire listening to ghost stories...
then your OK.
these tension building doomsday lores do have a useful purpose
and are not All a waste of time.

enjoy... & try to find the errors in these doomscapes

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I agree that apocalyptic messianic thinking is programmed into western culture. Its interesting to consider its Jewish origins, as an allegorical literary tradition inspiring stoicism in the face of repeated defeat & occupation. Combine this with the Greco-Roman tradition of encoding controversial views about real current events into semi-historical or purely allegorical tales & you've got a perfect condition for people to start taking doomsday prophecy literally.
Of course, a population in fear is also more easily ruled...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
On the subject of doom itself & the nuclear age, I think we may have already sown the seeds of the end of vertebrates as we know them. There have been so many bomb tests, reactor leaks & ongoing low level pollution, plus now the insanity of depleted uranium munitions, that the whole world is coated in fine particulates of radioactive dust, much of it with half-lives of billions of years.
The gut & lungs/gills of current vertebrates are extremely sensitive to the carcinogenic effects of ionising radiation. There may not be time to evolve cancer resistance before the level of toxicity kills enough that whole ecosystems collapse, taking species that are doing better with them anyway.
Still, I agree, you cant have much of a life worrying about doom all the time. I just wish people would stop with the old "whore of babylon", various "horns", "& on that day, a man shall borrow his friend's hammer", etc & use the energy to occasionally think about the things that really could doom us & that we actually have the power to do something about.

new topics

top topics

join