It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those in the 'know'..Are you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
As a long term reader of ATS I've become quite disturbed by the number of so called 'insiders' populate these boards. Every minute or two a person pops up claiming to have seen stuff in Area 51, they claim to have insider info re UFO's, hell some even claim to have worked with ET or have a 'friend' that has.

In all seriousness if this was all true then the USO phenomenon is easily the worse kept secret ever. But what baits me the most is that if you challenge these people as to who they are talking about suddenly it all becomes very hush hush cloak and dagger and they refuse to divulge their source?

And how do I know they have a source, because they blab about having a source at the drop of a hat. It really irks me that these people want to be seen as reliable people yet there's almost never any clear or even a tiny bit of evidence that these people really do have genuine input other that what they have read on other forums and reused it to sound like an authority.

Why does it irk me?

Well it's destroying the genuine aspect of this whole affair, you can't claim to know something and then refuse to give details and still expect people to hold them in any position. I've seen people claiming to be in contact with just about every apparently known race and a million others. I've seen many who claim to have insider links and at he drop of a hat throw that line into a thread and to be honest it comes across as utter tripe in most cases, I'm not trying to tar and brush people but I have become oh so bored of hearing claims without any background proof.

Well the expected responses are "well you can believe me or not"..It's a NOT in this case...

The other response being "I'd be putting someone in danger"....Well if you knew someone that important and were blabbing about it on an open forum then I guess they were already in danger.

Unfortunately forums are open to young people whose fun in life is to inhabit forums making absurd claims as a joke for their friends, forums are also common area's for many people who suffer from mental health issues that genuinely believe what they post.

Am I attacking people who say they flew with people who saw UFO's, hell NO, I'm really only talking about those who make incredibly complex in the know claims, stuff that can never be proved nor want to offer proof of it.

I'm just trying to read a forum where it's hard enough to claim you have seen a UFO as it is without it being bastardised by outrageous claims which only serve to make everyone look like a fully paid up nutcase. Thankfully the forums are also full of REAL talents on both sides, take Phage or Internos for instance, exceptionally clever people whose work is based upon the factual side. I can read their stuff knowing I'm not going to get some outlandish claim but pointers to evidence I can evaluate for myself.

For me, if you claim to be in the know but refuse to detail it then do me a favour and keep it to yourself....

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Mclaneinc]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I agree with alot you say. I think we will not get any real whistle blowers any more, after phil sneider. If you believe anyone do so at your own will, but for me its a no no.

Just look at people like burish, nice story but i do not believe it. Too many techs and government watches for us to get truths any more.

But some people do have nice stories, and i like science fiction. I treat every story people come out with like that since phil, which is 1996, or so. Anyone after that that started speaking, i have red flags about.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

What I 'know' is this:

If I were to simply believe everything that I read on the internet, I would have long ago committed myself to an asylum.

This is just 'Reader Beware 101' and if you have a problem distinguishing between what is and is not worth your consideration, you'd probably do well to go and hide in a dark place in your attic.

Now, please don't take any of this as an insult. It is not my intention to belittle you or your post. There is indeed a crapload of crap here and everywhere.

But still and all, we are required to use our brains and think. Short of doing that, we pretty much deserve whatever we get from not thinking.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I agree with alot you say. I think we will not get any real whistle blowers any more, after phil sneider. If you believe anyone do so at your own will, but for me its a no no

The trouble with it with me is that a person comes out with an anecdote that they talked to man at Locheed (insert any name here) and they told him that they are building back engineered craft.

But as none of that can be verified it just becomes a small story and therefore has no proper bearing on the thread, it's basically a pointless remark. I know you don't have to believe the person but there are claims that really need to be backed up, these claims go well beyond saying you saw a UFO.

The trouble is also that these claims get mutilated and used 'as fact' time and time again throughout threads thus rendering the thread pointless and side tracked.

Do I believe people are in contact with other races, well by the number of them on here there must be an MSN and Twitter account just for these Aliens..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

What I 'know' is this:

If I were to simply believe everything that I read on the internet, I would have long ago committed myself to an asylum.

This is just 'Reader Beware 101' and if you have a problem distinguishing between what is and is not worth your consideration, you'd probably do well to go and hide in a dark place in your attic.

Now, please don't take any of this as an insult. It is not my intention to belittle you or your post. There is indeed a crapload of crap here and everywhere.

But still and all, we are required to use our brains and think. Short of doing that, we pretty much deserve whatever we get from not thinking.

Cheers

Whilst I agree it is indeed reader 101 the problem is it's polluting these forums and making a pigs ear of the subject. As you can tell I do indeed know the wheat from the chaff and my BS meter is set to stun but I just hate getting into a good thread only for it to start taking odd turns based upon daft claims that then ruin the thread because some people actually givethese people credence based upon either their claim or more daftly upon how many posts they have made.

Obviously I 'ignore' as many as possible but it's just a real spoil of a decent site..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The subject of UFOs... as with any paranormal issue, is wholly about a partial suspension of disbelief, read: possibility acceptance, so that an honest accounting of the unknown can be accomplished and then weighed against the logic of the known.

Along the way, there will be many detours and hitch hikers. Some will be genuine, others not. The roads signs are often confusing... sometimes purposely so. It is a challenge of intellect, curiosity, deduction and above all, patience.

Someday, one of us may cross the finish line. In fact, if true disclosure ever occurs, we may all finish the race. But until then, it is just indeed a matter of being careful not to step into a smelly something that sticks to your shoes.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Someday, one of us may cross the finish line. In fact, if true disclosure ever occurs, we may all finish the race. But until then, it is just indeed a matter of being careful not to step into a smelly something that sticks to your shoes.

Sadly, there's so much of it about it's hard to know where to place your feet...

Cheers..

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

There is not one single person on this forum who I would believe is anything more than a UFO/alien enthusiast and who knows just as much if not less than anyone else.

There was a member who thought that because he knew John Lear that made him some kind of "special" person which, to me, was a joke as Lear was a joke.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Yes...indeed this site is full of BS and it's stacking up.

There are too many here tapping away at their keyboards eagerly stating how aliens think, that they know several races are watching us and how their ships work etc etc.

Where's your evidence? Lights in the sky?...might just be lanterns. Crop circles?...the ones I've seen have all got tractor lines running through them. To me that means the evidence points to humans making them. No matter how intricate a design or how many videos show blobs of this that and the other...none of it proves there is anything to disclose.

The truth and nothing but the truth is what I'm seeking. If the truth is we're alone then I must accept that and carry on living my life knowing the world won't stop turning because of it. Maybe the so called powers that be don't have dark and sinister plans for our demise. Maybe nasa really is still trying to find evidence of any kind of life out there.

Before anyone says I'm the one blind to the truth (I accept that may well be the case) I do believe deep down we're not alone in this universe, there could be several races in contact with a select few but in my case I don't know this to be fact. There's nothing wrong in discussing possibilities...to those posters who can't see the wood for the trees...back up a little...take another look.

top topics

join