It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about new Star Trek movie

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
The DVD recently came out for Star Trek and I was watching the scene where the captain's wife is giving birth to Jim Kirk, when I noticed the actress in the following screenshot telling the mother to "push!":

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ab37f518561.jpg[/atsimg]

Does anyone know who this actress is?

I'm curious to see some other photos of her to determine if that's the natural shape of her eyes, which seem to slant up more than I'm used to seeing, or if there's some CGI going on to modify her eyes. I'm guessing possibly the latter because I don't see any eyebrows either but I really can't tell for sure. It's hard to change the angle of the eyes with just makeup I think.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm 99% sure it's makeup. She's supposed to be an alien.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

I was thinking maybe she's supposed to be an alien too but if so, she's one of the most human looking aliens I've seen, except perhaps in "V".

Well at least you left a 1% chance it's not makeup,which was my thought, but if it IS makeup I'd like to know how makeup can change the apparent angle of the eyes like that.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It's not make-up.

This is the first film in which they hired an actual alien to play the part.
Try and find out more about the actress.
It's like they covered the trail.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Her name is Sonita Henry and she's not an alien

here's a bit more about her part in the movie
scifiwire.com...

"I know that they are going to do some form of computer generation with my face," Henry said. "Because they had to put little dots on. ... I have freckles, which is funny, and they had to completely cover my freckles, and then draw little black dots on my face with a marker so the computer can read them. I guess my freckles would just confuse the computer. And I would have ended up looking like the elephant man. So, yeah. ... I think they're just kind of stretching my eyes out. ... They actually wanted to shave my eyebrows off, and I just couldn't do it. ... It's very extreme

[edit on 21/11/2009 by GypsK]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by

GypsK, thank you so much for that post!

That's exactly the information I was looking for! That made me happy to find out it's a computer effect and not just makeup.

Too bad I can't star your post in BTS but I can say thanks, and cheers!

Edit to add: I'm curious, how did you find that? Great find!

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

wiki of course

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

there is a link at the botom of that page

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Thanks I looked there and I'm still amazed you found it!

I guess if they made their aliens look a little more alien I wouldn't wonder, like they did with this guy from the same movie:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89b8663d9102.jpg[/atsimg]

It looks like makeup on his forehead, but CG on his lower face. The actress was also a combination of CG and makeup, she spent 2 hours getting baldie caps applied to her eyebrows in makeup because she didn't want to shave them off, I'm surprised they didn't just CG them away too instead, since they were already doing her eyes with CG.

It's hard to tell where the makeup ends and the GC begins in some of these..interesting movie.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Judging by the eyes, it almost looks like the idea was to cross a human with the quinessential "grey" alien face that everyone is familiar with.

IMO

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eternal_vigilance

I was wondering the same thing. There's a little bit of a gray-human hybrid appearance to her but far more human I'd say. Maybe 15/16 human and 1/16 gray?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

same here!
I thought the sudden appearance of that face of the screen had a bit of a shock factor. I was like omg! they used a grey! It was far more realistic then the other alien types they have used for Star Trek in the past.
But I think a lot of people missed it, or didn't get it.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
When I first saw this character in Star Trek it reminded me of this Sony advert from a few years back:

Her name is Fiona McLean, this is a link to a comparison image of what she looks like without the CGI.

Fiona McLean - Before and After

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Koka]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
...................................No idea...........................

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
YOu gotta love the sick humor of JJ Abrahams as having the alien that humans are afraid of for abductions and medical experiments, doing medical work.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes I'd be afraid of those freaky looking little grays probing me and doing experiments on me, but for some strange reason, I wouldn't be as freaked out if that alien-human hybrid actress were to do it since she's only a little bit freaky looking, but otherwise attractive and not all that scary.

Maybe instead of getting mad or scared I'd try to get even, and probe her back.

But in answer to your comment, yes I think he has a twisted sense of humor, like when kirk drove the classic car off a cliff and then said "Is there a problem officer?"

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by GypsK

It's hard to tell where the makeup ends and the GC begins in some of these..interesting movie.

That is generally what makes a movie with CGI good, if you can tell it's computer generated it takes away all the belief in it.
Of course it's CGI, just look at her:shk:

I'm half expecting to see Lord Voldemort pop up here now???

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Chukkles]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Well some people have strange eyes so I wasn't sure it was CGI, though I thought probably so. But I would almost swear this woman's eyes are CGI but amazingly, it's NOT, and it's even more freaky than the eyes in the Star Trek movie!

By the way I have another question/comment about the Star Trek movie after reading the Wikipedia article on it.

One of the things that really annoyed me about the movie was the bright lights and lens flares, and I thought they had some really bad photographers who didn't know what they were doing, until I read the Wiki, and found out they did that ON PURPOSE????

en.wikipedia.org...

Abrams and Mindel used lens flares throughout filming to create an optimistic atmosphere and a feeling activity was taking place off-camera, making the Star Trek universe feel more real.

So I'm curious, does anyone think all those flares make the movie better? Because I thought they made it hideously worse, as in "what were they thinking?", but otherwise I liked the movie, for the most part. But I thought the lighting was bad in many places and partly because of the flares.

Here is an example on the bridge, the flares across Spocks chest aren't too bad but I fail to see what they add. It's the bright light over his shoulder I find particularly distracting though, and they use bright lights like that to make more flares apparently.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f2fdc9651f6.jpg[/atsimg]

This sequence in the shuttle seems worse:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f5720bc89a6.jpg[/atsimg]

And it gets even worse:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/af754674d74f.jpg[/atsimg]

What did you folks think about those flares, and all the distracting overly bright lights that caused them? Does it make the movie better? Or worse? I vote worse because it just looks like bad photography to me, but I'm open to other opinions.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Have to admit that this is one aspect of the movie that did not do it for me, I wasn't generally happy with the shiny perspex bridge in general, the flare effects were a touch on the irritating side but I think it was to give the effect of a live fly on wall camera perspective where lighting cannot be taken into consideration, it worked but I disliked it more than liked.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I do have one question also.

I think they were pretty vague on why spock couldn't save romulus.

Wouldn't he have known when the sun was going supernova?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes Spock knew that it was going to explode, and he was on his way there in their fastest ship to try to prevent it, but apparently their fastest ship wasn't fast enough because he didn't get there before the supernova.

Now, why he didn't leave earlier, was never really explained. Maybe they knew about the pending explosion in advance, but not far enough in advance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join