It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim countries seek blasphemy ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

GENEVA – Four years after cartoons of the prophet Muhammad set off violent protests across the Muslim world, Islamic nations are mounting a campaign for an international treaty to protect religious symbols and beliefs from mockery — essentially a ban on blasphemy that would put them on a collision course with free speech laws in the West

Source

I think this is in the right spot, if not MODs please move.

So much for free speech. Wonder what will happen when and if this passes, here in the U.S.?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm am wondering why they need a treaty to protect religions (as per article)?

Can't Allah/God/ Spaghetti Monster protect them?...oh wai...

It is important to be able to mock others,yourself, beliefs etc and can be a good base from which discussion grows.

I fear if this ever gets through I will be going to Prison. Charge: Mockery!

[edit on 20-11-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Welcome to last month.

'Course it was idiotic then, and it's idiotic now. Like AorAki mentions above, if god has a problem, then he's no doubt more than capable of handling it himself.

It's worth mention though, that this isn't due to the "cartoon riots" - which were themselves not the result of the cartoons. That mess was the result of a bunch of provocateurs who made up offensive images, attributed them to Danish papers, and then spread them on the internet. Additionally at least one of the "riots" was actually a protest against a corrupt Afghani governer, and the interviewer asked someone if they were bothered by the cartoons - the answer was "yes" and so, the American press covered the appointed corrupt stooge's butt to protect American interest in Afghanistan, while getting a sizzling story about "stupid muslims" to feed to the slobbering fatasses back home.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Their "god" should get as much protection as Christians have in muslim countries. So, if everyone had some time to check the rights of Christians in Turkey, Sudan, Syria, Saudi Arabia...all those countries should be an example how Christian world should treat muslims.

So, "freedom of speech" is essentially "freedom from Christianity"...end of story. All others are protected by law.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by herbivore]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by herbivore

I'm not sure you chose the best examples of countries for your list. Syria and Turkey are both secular countries, and are very oppressively against what they perceive to be "fundamentalist islam". And while Sudan doesn't exactly have the cleanest slate with regards to human rights, their rule of islamic law only applies to the north, and not the south, where most sudanese christians live, to the result that (according to wikipedia), South Sudan has one of the fastest growing christian populations in the world, with new churches constantly popping up.

new topics

top topics

join