It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential New Cold Virus Mimics H1N1, Hospitalizing Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Potential New Cold Virus Mimics H1N1, Hospitalizing Children

www.foxnews.com

Runny nose, fever, cough, even pneumonia — the symptoms sound like swine flu but children hospitalized at one U.S. hospital in fact had a rhinovirus, better known as a common cold virus, doctors said on Tuesday.

Hundreds of children treated at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia had a rhinovirus, and federal health investigators are trying to find out if it was a new strain, and if this is going on elsewhere in the country.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Also found within the article:

The hospital, unlike most hospitals in the United States, runs a test that can diagnose 10 different respiratory viruses, including influenza but also rhinoviruses, parainfluenza viruses and other germs that make kids sick.

"The data showed us it wasn't H1N1 but instead was this rhinovirus infection," Coffin said.

Usually rhinoviruses cause an annoying but benign illness that looks a lot like flu, but with more runny nose and usually less of a fever. This one was causing severe symptoms and even pneumonia.

"Some of these kids had really bad wheezing," Coffin said — so bad they had to be hospitalized and treated with a nebulizer, which delivers drugs into the lungs to help keep oxygen in the blood.

"We don't terribly often have large numbers of children test positive for it," Coffin said.

CDC INVESTIGATING

But she estimated that 500 were hospitalized in September and October, with no deaths that she knows of. Starting in mid-October, H1N1 swine flu started to show up, too.

Information on rhinoviruses:

rhi·no·vi·rus (rīˌnō-vīˈrəs)

noun
Any of a group of picornaviruses that are causative agents of disorders of the respiratory tract, such as the common cold. Also called coryzavirus.

Link: www.yourdictionary.com...

Although this seems incredibly non-threatening as in, it's just the common cold no big deal type of non-threatening, the most serious consequences to this virus is that many children are more than likely completely being misdiagnosed.

Second, why is the hospital in Philadelphia only one of a handful of hospitals that do such screenings. It seems to me that doing any kind of culture across a broad spectrum of illnesses would make identifying new strains, new illnesses, new outbreaks, that much easier.

Any thoughts? Or is the CDC now going to use the common cold to further push vaccines into our children?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I have been fighting bronchitis brought on by sinus issues for several months until I went to the local walk-in clinic and less than eagerly accepted some antibiotics. Well I had just about kicked the bronchitis when I got hit by some 24 hour virus (it actually lasted less than a day but man my body hurt) that caused fever and a lot of body ache, along with some sniffles. Which in effect caused the bronchitis to kick back up even stronger than before.

This required a second trip back to the walk-in which I begrudgingly accepted what I believe to be a stronger antibiotic which kicked the bronchitis in the “chest” so to speak rather quickly.

I have not had a flue since I was rather young maybe around 8-10. My biggest issue is sinus problems which surprisingly seemed to get worse after I stopped smoking, along with the occasional cold which I fight off with over the counter medication.

This cold virus though sounds like a real “pain” in the rear. Not only are you going to feel like garbage but many will treat you like a plague victim simply because of the symptoms you have. I must say that when I went to the walk-in people there were freaking out and looking at others as if they were bringing in dead and throwing it on others. The mistrust and looks of total disgust people were giving each other reminded me of the movies such as Outbreak.

This season of viruses has me more worried about the freaky nut cases ready to put all sick people to dead than anything else. People are really freaking out and going nuts over this H1N1 garbage.

Raist

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

It's funny that you said all of that. Last spring, my son and I developed what we were told was likely Swine Flu. After 3 weeks, it became pneumonia in BOTH of us.

The total time we were sick was around 5 - 6 weeks. I was given 3 different types of antibiotics...my son was only given two different types...he was 2 at the time.

Even after I felt fine, I went back to the doctor for check-ups twice in the next few weeks because he could still detect fluid in my lungs.

It was the freakiest thing and at the time I was convinced that it started as Swine flu. But after reading this article, and reading all the threads in which people are talking about severe respiratory problems....I'm really beginning to wonder.

Couple all of that with the fact that the government / CDC seems hellbent on going after children and young adults -- of child-bearing age -- first...it's getting pretty scary.

I've been suspicious ever since they outlined their target groups for the vaccines and omitted the elderly. That STILL makes no sense to me.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I hate taking antibiotics; I would rather my own body fight off any “intruder” that comes its way.

I though, have chronic bronchitis (that normally does not give me this much of a problem) most likely due to the fact that when I was only a few months old I had bronchial pneumonia. I knew this is what it was before I went and it turns out I was right (surprising how I know my own body better than the doctors lol), I only went because I was not kicking it this time.

This cough would seem to slack off or go away for a few days to nearly a week and then come back, and this lasted for about two months when I went the first time. It was about three months total before it finally went away.

I am sure I can link my respiratory problems (when I have them) can be linked to my problem when I was very young. I think many others might be because of pollutants though. It could turn out that all of my problems including those early on are a result of pollutants as well. Not to mention the fact that so many people often quit taking antibiotics before they run out of them causing any surviving “critters” to grow stronger. I may not be for taking them but if you get them take all of them.

I certainly do not trust all the push of things from big pharma though, they can keep their garbage.

Raist

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well that makes sense now. About three weeks ago me, my wife and our 5 year old son caught the most god awful cold I've ever had.

Started with a 100.8 degree temp for the first day, then soar throat and running nose followed by the worst damned congestion I've ever experienced. Took a little over 2 weeks to shake it. I've had plenty of colds, flu's, bronchitis etc.. throughout my life but never a cold with a fever like that at the start and so much congestion. Must be some kind of new strain.
Oh joy.

top topics

join