It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant iceberg spotted off Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Now this must be a sight to see!
Source: Telegraph

Neal Young, an Australian Antarctic Division glaciologist, said the flat-topped slab could break into dozens of smaller icebergs as it moves in the direction of New Zealand, causing a possible shipping hazard. "It's rare to make a sighting like this - it's certainly impressive-looking," he said. He said the iceberg had probably split from a major Antarctic ice shelf nine years ago, and said more could be expected in the area if global warming continues.

Is this a sign of Global Warming?

[edit on 11/17/2009 by x2Strongx]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wow, that looks unreal! How far of the coast? I would still contest GW is a natural process with minimal impact by human activity though.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
global warming is a fraud. canadian winters are still cold.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalCanadian

So are Wyoming winters.

I will say it's intriguing to see a block of ice that massive floating about in Australian waters. I'd imagine it was a loud crack.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalCanadian

You do realize that GW mean GLOBAL warming-and therefore doesnt apply to specific location, but the GLOBE AS A WHOLE.

Also, global warming isnt a fraud, it is fact. FACT is that the average temp of this planet has risen over the last decade.

The only debate is over the cause.

The correct term, though, is Global Climate Change

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

Ice existing farther away from the poles would seem to be a sign of Global Cooling, wouldn't it?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by x2Strongx

Ice existing farther away from the poles would seem to be a sign of Global Cooling, wouldn't it?

TheRedneck

I dont know if that is necessarily true. A chunk of ice that big did not just form-it broke off from somewhere, which could mean that that particular area is warming enough to make the ice fragile.

Obviously this is speculation. Either way though, you can guarantee that it didnt just form in the middle of the ocean.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

You do realize that GW mean GLOBAL warming-and therefore doesnt apply to specific location, but the GLOBE AS A WHOLE.

Also, global warming isnt a fraud, it is fact. FACT is that the average temp of this planet has risen over the last decade.

The cause isn't CO2 emissions, it's happening all throughout the solar system. The CO2 is reabsorbed in the water as it's too heavy to stay in the atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

until we can prove that " global wamring " is not just part of a cycle , then we can't start using it as an excuse for everything that fits somebody's idea......

Yea certain parts of the planet are warming...

But.... certain parts are becoming colder.....

Changes are happening..

I like to think of it as a Global Balancing........

The earth is balancing itself out however it needs too.....

I'm almost positive some sort of continent shifting will happen....

How drastic and now much I am unsure of....also, not sure when.....it could already be happening....i mean how would we know..

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalCanadian

Agreed 100%

But I will say this, the winters where I live are coming later and later every year.

Northwestern Ontario btw.

Now I'm not saying thats man made, because I don't really prescribe to man made global warming, at least not on the scale our friend Al Gore and all his buddies say.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

The global warming debate will be had until the cows come home. All we can do is look at the facts.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

some very interesting points against gw !

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by researchit
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

some very interesting points against gw !

Again, the average temp of the Earth has risen over the last decade(2, actually). Global Warming. There are no points that can be made against it.

only against what is causing it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I agree sorry ,against man made global warming

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by researchit
I agree sorry ,against man made global warming

K, I couldnt watch the vids(at work), but I kind of figured thats what you were getting at.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I agree; I would be very surprised if it were discovered that it formed that far north.

But consider this: should not the warmer waters it is in have melted it before it made it that far? That would indicate to me that either the ice is much colder than most ice, or that the waters it floated in were cooler than normal.

After all, I would assume it melts at around 0°C, like most ice does.

TheRedneck

[edit on 11/17/2009 by TheRedneck]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

I agree; I would be very surprised if it were discovered that it formed that far north.

But consider this: should not the warmer waters it is in have melted it before it made it that far? That would indicate to me that either the ice is much colder than most ice, or that the waters it floated in were cooler than normal.

After all, I would assume it melts at around 0°C, like most ice does.

TheRedneck

[edit on 11/17/2009 by TheRedneck]

That large of a chunk certainly IS melting-but something that dense will take a VERY long time to melt If it starts growing, it tells me water temps are dropping.

Measurable melting on something that large will take years, though.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

The thing is, this is unique. Icebergs break off Antarctica all the time. Yet, others melt before they get that far north.

This could have been an extremely large iceberg, of course. But that would mean it should have been reported as breaking off much earlier. The media has some sort of fascination with ice breaking off Antarctia...

Perhaps I missed it?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be cool if we could pick those bergs up and put them in our damns?
Australia would be come a paradise if we could do that!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Ice by necessity of rising temperatures in the summer melts, and then heads northerly. This what creates icebergs. It should not be considered a sign of global climate change unless the size, and frequency of these icebergs changes over a period of time.

In any case, we need to find a way off fossil fuels, to something better, like Nuclear for example, and running everything electrically. Research it, and I think you'll find almost everything you had previously been told about Nuclear power is wrong.

[edit on 18/11/2009 by C0bzz]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join