It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 6 Americans Goes Hungry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It is unacceptable to have people, let alone children, go hungry in a First World Nation, even during Economic Hard Times. To know that at least 1 out of 6 are, is shocking and shameful to us all.

1 in 6 Americans Go Hungry

Government report shows 15% of Americans had trouble putting food on the table -- a record high. The number of Americans that have trouble putting food on the table shot up last year in an unprecedented spike to a record 17 million households, the government reported on Monday.

For the mathematically impaired, that's 44,370,000 people who are starving in the United States right now. (At an Avg Household Size of 2.61 according to the most recent 2008 statistics from the US Census Bureau.)

That's 20,785,402 children under the age of 5!
That's 18,375,500 children between the ages of 6 and 18!

That's too many starving children.

(Even if you can turn a blind eye towards the hunger plight of the adults and the elderly, 39 million starving children in the United States is simply unacceptable by any standards.)

Feeding America, a network of more than 200 food banks that advocates in Washington for food assistance programs, said its member food banks reported a 30% increase in the number of people seeking assistance earlier this year, and 72% of food banks had been unable to adequately meet demand before the stimulus bill was enacted.

Which at a 30% increase in the number of people seeking food assistance makes one believe that either that USDA statistic of 15% is either under-reporting the problem, or that people (especially the Middle Class) are getting more desperate and humbling themselves and asking for help where they wouldn't have before (or both).

I know there are plenty of cold and callous people here on ATS who don't have a shred of decency or sympathy towards the plight of their neighbors, friends and extended family. They have never known hunger or poverty and as such they turn a blind eye to it and pretend like it's a "lifestyle choice" or due to laziness. Hunger is the proverbial elephant in the living room for them.

To the rest of the ATSers here, I challenge you all to help contribute as much as you can towards helping fight Hunger in the United States during this Season of Giving. Write your Senators and Representatives. Give canned and dried food to a local Food Bank. Make a traditional Thanksgiving Feast for your family and invite an unfortunate family to join you and your family in giving thanks. Do what you can to contribute towards fighting hunger...because statistically speaking, next year it could be you and your family that finds themselves hungry.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I’m afraid that those numbers will only increase, I am one of those who did my best not to rely on other’s and took great pride in myself for being able to provide for my family but in recent times I have had to apply for food stamps and thankfully was accepted to receive them. More and more families are having to make the choice of putting food on the table or paying the electric bill that seems to rise each and every month. I watch over many elderly people in my neighborhood. And I do what I can, this once great country is in trouble to say the least as long as we keep taking care of all the other countries first cause it makes us look good in some eyes, this will continue to happen. I’m all for helping other countries out but not until we feed are own first. We must all do are part to help those around us in our neighborhoods cause one day it well might be you. Having to face the decision whether to buy food or pay bills. Good luck to all of us in these troubled times.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
So, last week all we heard was about obesity in the US.

Now, we're starving to death.

What's the deal?

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2009/11/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

What exactly does 'having trouble putting food on the table' mean? Ive had trouble putting food on the table while I was in my early twenties, but in no means did I ever go hungry. Maybe had to cut back on a meal or eat less of a meal, but always was able to muster up the 20 bucks a week to get some basic food in my little tiny home.

I think some clarification on exactly what is being said here needs to happen.

Also and maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet, but how do these numbers work?

That's 18,375,500 children under the age of 18!

If 20 million are under the age of 5, how did the number decrease when you included ages 6-18 to 18 million? Also I think quantifying it as an exact number is being a bit sensational and not quite factual given you are using averages to produce an actual number.

But again....what does 'go hungry' mean? How is it qualified? What is the criteria for a person to be categorized as 'hungry'? Was it a survey? What was the question asked that produced the 15% number?

As I am researching all those right now, I also ask you, along with anyone else that reads your post to seek out those answers or their own answers.

In any case, a hungry person is by no means a starving person. I am also with you on that any child, especially in this country, should never go hungry or starving.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Also and maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet, but how do these numbers work?

That's 18,375,500 children under the age of 18!

If 20 million are under the age of 5, how did the number decrease when you included ages 6-18 to 18 million? Also I think quantifying it as an exact number is being a bit sensational and not quite factual given you are using averages to produce an actual number.

My bad. The second figure should have read between the ages of 6-18.

(I didn't have my morning coffee yet before I posted the OP either!)

I've corrected the OP to reflect this.

According to the latest US Census Department Statistics, 6.5% of the U.S. Population are under the age of 5, and 6.19% of the U.S. Population are between 6-18. Households, which represent 2.61 people on average, generally contain a larger percentage of children...so even my own figures are admittedly understated as the proportion of children within a Household would be higher than as a percentage of the entire Population. However, the demographic data publicly available doesn't allow for a more accurate estimation.

As far as "having trouble putting food on the table" this would mean that they must rely on food assistance either from State or Federal Welfare Programs, or on private charities, such as Food Banks, Salvation Army, etc.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Imagine that if this is happening in a First World nation what´s happening on a Third World Nation.

The image is shocking.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
For less than the monthly payment on your new car from the Cash for Clunkers program you can feed and clothe a child here in America...

One day (when we have our priorities in order) we as a nation will realize that the money spent on all the national and high profile local campaigns could have been better spent creating jobs to build for our future rather than fatten the windbag that proclaims it.

Alas, until then the fate of the people will remain unstable.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The folks next door have an issue similar...

Their 18 year old boy, claims he's hungry and they have no food in the house.

I am friendly with the family, I took a couple of beers and went to say hello.

They have lots of "real food" eggs, frozen half beaf from last spring, flour, veggies, and much more...etc..etc..

I did find out that recently quit buying microwave food, burritos, hot pockets, and pot pies.....

The boy had been living off microwave food so long, that this is the only kind of "food" he recognises, He can't make Ramen noodles on a stovetop!
He's got to use the microwave...

But long story short is that this info. "the boy's" made it to the public school and all the neighbors and through out his family, before any real facts came out!

There are to many places to get basic food stuffs for free, for any american to starve!

I believe that everyone needs to feel hunger, if you never feel hunger, you ARE overeating!

This I believe boils down to the choices made at the time of "purchasing/getting" groceries.

If it came down to it, a person can live pretty nice on eggs, rice, and day old bread.....for less than $10 a week.... for 2-3 ppl

Not sure where this info. got its #'s but I think confusing hunger with starving has a lot to do with it!

Has anyone ever seen a mal-nutritioned child in America?

NO!!!! Family services would eat that up and it would be MSM to the extreme for abuse!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i was hungry last night, so i made some ramen...

cost about 13 cents.

it was yummy.

... im sorry if you are 18 and cant make food... you should starve for being dumb.

everywhere is a sob-story that just makes me angry at people who are too retarded and too wussy to stand up and fix it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I was sure it was just a mix up in the number or an omitted number somewhere. Been there, done that

Thanks for the number crunching by the way, of course, I don't want to steer my thoughts that way, because those are not the issue at hand.

I think now the report can be categorized as even more sensational knowing that to be qualified as 'having trouble putting food on the table' means you receive assistance from churches, food banks, Food Stamps, WIC, etc.

What I truly think this report is doing, is steering the public eye away from the truly desperate and truly starving children that are more than likely homeless and on the streets.

If you live in an apartment, a home, etc. most likely you have the basics to eat. Maybe not well and maybe not what one is used to, but it is still food.

As far as the 'hungry' term....well, the government would think not only I go hungry, but my two young boys that at times can be fickle and not eat what they are given. Depends on when they are asked and kids don't know how to critically think about a question posed to them, say, at school.

'Hey Johnny, are you ever hungry at home?', "Yes, Mrs. Johnson I went to bed feeling hungry last night". And that is where the questioning stops sadly because even adults cannot critically think either.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday
Has anyone ever seen a mal-nutritioned child in America?

NO!!!! Family services would eat that up and it would be MSM to the extreme for abuse!

Go to any large metropolitan area of the United States to see hundreds of examples of malnourished children in America living on the streets where DHHS hasn't intervened.

Go to the Deep South of the United States to see entire communities with starving children.

Even when DHHS gets involved in cases of malnourished children, Foster Care is rarely better of a situation. The number of children who suffer starvation at the abuse of their Foster Parents in the United States is almost a cultural stereotype anymore.

Granted, we do already have Welfare Programs at both the Federal and State levels, such as Food Stamps, Women Infants and Children, however, these programs are both overtaxed and not enough. Between the abuses of those Welfare systems, such as the self-imposed impoverished (College Students, the Willfully Unemployed, those milking the system), and growing numbers of first-time applicants for assistance, these programs are being drained and running out. Even 70% of all Private Assistance in the United States are currently drained and unable to keep up with demand for food assistance.

I agree that there is a major disconnect in our society between what we consider food and what we have available as food. However, that is overlooking the fact that a growing number of people in the United States don't even have that available to them.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

if being cold and callous is a bad thing, than i'm just a bad man.

here's an idea.. get a better job, stop spending your money on bling and crap, tell your kids no on occasion, move out of your damn overpriced domicile and into something more affordable, and if you can't feed your kids, close your legs for once and stop crapping out more of them.

yes, i am cold and callous, i expect people to have common sense sometimes. I, like so many other people in this world are tired of being told to or being fed guilt as a form of coercion to continually support these losers in society.

you know what? if they died, there'd be more job openings for the others who actually do want to drag themselves upward, more food for those that would earn it, and so on.

screw the weak, if we wanted to be truly organic, we'd let them wither and die on the vine like nature intended.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Reply to Frater

Your right....

To a point...

Why should the choices of the childerens parents, be our problem?

Those parents have the same choices everyone else does, it depends on what they do with their assisance, IMHO..

If they chose to let the childeren run amuck, and the parents do nothing to better them selves, its not the childerens fault, they know no better.

I do go to many large inner cities, from Vegas to Las Angeles, to New York, although I don't get to the southeast that much.

I have never seen a skin and bones, ribs pokin out, pot bellied child.....
not saying it never happens, just that it would be an extreme case, IMO

If they were to the point of noticable mal-nutrition, a free clinic/hospital would take them in, medical services can not be turned away.

I just believe there are to many options for anyone to starve, although many may experience hunger, if you starve, there is no one to blame, but ones self.

This is like comparing religion with aliens, its up to the observer.

But for anyone that has access to a public library, and state/federal aid, free health clinics, and emergency room, I just can't have a guilty feeling for someone elses lazyness.

If they are mal-nutritioned it is by the choice of the parental figure or lack of disaplin...IMHO

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It is tragically sad and I think it will only get worse. It appears that the recession has just recently hit my area, there are many parents at my kids school that have recently become unemployed, and it would appear that the school is having problems as well. The school used to provide a free hot lunch to those that couldn't pay (or forgot their money), recently this has stopped now those children receive a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (nothing else not even a drink). What I think is sad, is that I'm the type of person that will send extra things in my kids lunch I know that usually it will be too much for them to eat in one sitting, but I figure they can save some for a snack after school (they go straight to various activities after school) or they can give it to someone who needs it. I can't even count how many times they have come home and said that a friend didn't have food or didn't have enough food and the school WILL NOT allow the kids to share (they actually get detention for sharing lunches we found this out the hard way
) It is disgusting, that is is better to save your food or throw it away (all of which is seen by the kids at the table) than to let a friend have a cookie or a piece of fruit. I've had to scale back what I give them because it is sad that the school works this way now.

As for the food pantry, absolutely, whatever can be given needs to be given. We constantly have various groups asking for money for various charities, unfortunately here, lots of those charities do not exist, even the fire department has resorted to keeping the trucks on the street to verify they are the real fire department and not scammers when they are asking for donations.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I don't like anyone to suffer!

But the ppl that are affected here, "I think" are the ppl that are used to having 6-8 full sized chicken breasts 3-5#'s of mashed tators, and 4-6 cups of frozen veggies and enough left overs to eat the rest of the night.

I may be wrong, but a simple adjustment, and a little time will fix that!

Whens the last time they served the ammount on the mac&cheese box by the actual serving size?

Most need to get over the idea that they throw away more than most actual starving ppl get to eat!

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
here's an idea.. get a better job, stop spending your money on bling and crap, tell your kids no on occasion, move out of your damn overpriced domicile and into something more affordable, and if you can't feed your kids, close your legs for once and stop crapping out more of them.

yes, i am cold and callous, i expect people to have common sense sometimes. I, like so many other people in this world are tired of being told to or being fed guilt as a form of coercion to continually support these losers in society.

screw the weak, if we wanted to be truly organic, we'd let them wither and die on the vine like nature intended.

That has always been the perverse dichotomy of the Haves and Have-Nots.

When the Haves are faced with the Have-Nots, a Republican Have says "Lazy Bum! Get a job! I made my first million before the age of 24. What's your exuse? Loser!" While a Democratic Have says "Oh, you poor person, here have a dollar. Oh, here's another in need, why don't you have a dollar too. And you too. Oh noes! I don't have any dollars left! Can I get a hand-out too?" It is rare to find those somewhere in the Middle who are willing to help address the problem without either turning up their nose in ignorant disdain, or bleeding themselves dry with band-aids to the problem.

For that reason, I tried to steer clear of the argument and focusing on the number of those Starving in the United States that are Children. Even if the William's SGS-Alternate Unemployment Measure is at 20.6% in the United States, being 1 out of every 5 of the Workforce is Unemployed currently, despite a willingness to work, yet only 1 out of 6 people in the entire populace is facing Starvation, we are doing better on feeding those in need than we are at putting them to work.

However, when you look at the children involved, you can't hide behind callous arguments such as "Get a job you worthless bum!" or "Why don't they just work or die and do us all a favor!". Unless you are advocating Child Labor and putting those 3 year old children to work in Sweat Shops, then these are victims, regardless of their parent's circumstances. Even if you can't find it in your heart to be sympathetic of those 20.6% who are Unemployed currently, how could someone ignore the 39 million children in the United States going hungry through no fault of their own?

Although our Declaration says that all people are created equal, not everyone was born into a life of privilege, not everyone has been given the same opportunities. If one would rather that we not be treated equally, and adhere to Social Darwinism, continuing the disparity between the Haves and Have Nots, that is entirely their prerogative. I would not judge another for doing such, even if I whole-heartedly disagree with such a position. HOWEVER, those who turn a blind-eye to the pain and suffering of the innocent, those who are unable to provide for themselves due to being underage, then that's just downright inexcusable.

Even Jesus fed the hungry.
Even Freemasons are sworn to alleviate suffering and defend those who are unable to defend themselves.
Even our Declaration of Independence calls for the right and duty of citizens of conscience to acknowledge and defend the unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of others.

So, what is your excuse for not wanting to feed children who go hungry?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

thats actually really true. there are lots of examples of malnourished children. its a crime to say the least.

if you cant feed your family... why are you having more kids???? just makes me angry at the stupidity.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They are basing that on the fact that so many people take food stamps, welfare and other public assistance.

You might as well chalk about a lot of those 'hungry kids' up to opportunism. There are a lot of people who could pay for their own food but don't. Many of the others are simply trying to make ends meet. Most of the enlisted soldiers in the US who have kids are eligible for food stamps but perfer to pay for it themselves.

We feel bad about these numbers ...at first. Then we look around and find things that don't add up.
It's hard to reconcile these things when most of the cars that drop people off at the local welfare office are more expensive and newer than that of your average middle class worker.

Don't get me wrong. There are people in the states that are struggling to feed their kids but most of them are too proud to take assistance or too lazy or deep in a hole of their own making to truly take advantage of the opportunity for free food and money.

Most of the handouts that get taken from our taxes don't get used properly.

We've spent trillions on welfare and other programs like this but, as predicted, it hasn't helped to alleviate poverty. I has fed and cultured the largest poverty class in the developed world.

Our "poor" live better than the middle class of many countries.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
No need for starving yet.

There's ST Vincent De Paul affiliated with Catholic churches who help with food vouchers, food, etc.

There are food pantries, you may not get your pick, but its something in your belly.

These people need to move or start making phone calls. There's also the Food Stamp program.

Things are real bad, and i agree, but there is still some help out there.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If families are going hungry, people going without medical treatment etc ... why don't you introduce a system of national insurance, like so many other countries, to pay for your social security entitlements and hospital treatment.

In good times you pay this insurance from your wages ... and in bad times you benefit from it. Or is that too sensible ? It's the system Western Europe has been running since 5-10 years after the end of WW2. Mixed economy, social democracy etc.

Politically unacceptable and financially unaffordable in the USA, I guess.

What's the best US food charity for Europeans to wire donations to ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join