It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reducing the 'cytokine storm'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
No not an answer, a question
Without getting into the whole conspiracy thing, do we have any medical people on site who can advise on how to mitigate the effects of this cytokine storm we keep hearing about? I know there is at least one thread about remedies. Is this the same thing or are there more specific actions we can take?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Here's a video by Dr. Cannell:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

I am no doctor.

I have read curcumin from tumeric root would help. Do some research on that. It will cause bile, and is bad for people with gerd or ulcers. It can also make bleeding worse.

Turmeric root

There are links on this page to more research.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I had an intersting link, but can't remember where it is right now.
But these may help
www.fitnesstipsforlife.com...
www.upi.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Most importantly, here's a list of what to take and what to avoid, the avoid list here:

The following avoidance foods and antivirals may surpise many people.

Honey, elderberry juice, chocolate and Kimchi (a Korean fermented vegetable dish, usually made from cabbage) all increase production of TNF-a and IL-6. Elderberry is very effective, and recommended, for use against most flu strains but not advised when dealing with H5N1 or H1N1 viruses. Most chocolate contains sugar which severely inhibits the entire immune system. Even though honey has many healthful properies, honey is a sugar. Increases in the cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 could cause a lethal cytokine storm.

The Micro Algaes Chlorella and Spirulina increase cytokine TNF-a production.

www.associatedcontent.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
When I had the flu accompanied by viral pneumonia I coughed until I thought my ribs would break. The cytokine storm was severe and never ending. I started taking N-Acetyl Cysteine twice a day and it helped enough to let me get a few hours sleep.

What really did the trick though was Vitamin D3. I took about 10,000 IU a day (ignore the recommended dosage-it's way too low to be therapeutic). The constant flow of secretions slowed dramatically but didn't stop entirely until about day 5.

Before the vitamin D3, I honestly thought I would literally drown. I've been left with some damage I can tell but I have no doubt I'd be dead if it weren't for the D3. I couldn't quit coughing long enough to get down a cup of tea.

I've also found that honey combined with cinnamon is helpful for a few things but not necessarily in their acute phases.

Hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I had this thread buried in my subscriptions LOL....and thought maybe it bears bringing back to light...maybe some folks here will have suggestions for lessening the cytokine storm

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Hi - this is a question I posed to Biotech2024 in their Ebola Structure thread recently along with their reply at the bottom. I think adding Vitamin D to this would be a very good idea - I got some drops at a health food store with 1000 IU per drop making it very easy to take. The links I have included for these ideas are not the only sources - I have been familiar with these for decades as valuable remedies for some things at some times, these links are just what I found with a quick internet search to help back up the idea. If anyone is interested in persuing these further I highly recommend doing more research especially with the food grade hydrogen peroxide dosages.

If my family became ill with Ebola I would want to try 'something' to help the body live long enough to fight it. I'm assuming there is no readily available treatment for the masses and these are things that can be gotten or made at home for not a lot of investment.

a reply to: Biotech2024 Thank you for the great information albeit disconcerting... to say the least... I have very little medical training but have read a lot over the decades about health (and conspiracies). What I've been gleaning from all the Ebola information is if the body can 'hang in there' so to speak for a time the chances of surviving it are increased. These are some at home treatments I believe may be useful and wonder what your thoughts are based on your knowledge of how this virus attacks and kills its host? Many years ago I remember seeing a documentary about how salt and sugar (in a specific measurement) with water can rehydrate people suffering from dyssentry.

Home made sugar and salt solution (SSS) is not quite as good as commercial oral rehydration solution as it does not contain potassium. However, it is immediately available and often lifesaving. The commonest recipe for a sugar and salt solution is: 1 litre of clean water. 8 level teaspoons of sugar. ½ of a level teaspoon of table salt.

childhealthcare.co.za...

This is an excerpt going around apparently by an anonymous doctor about Ebola and how it kills by eliminating all Vitamin C in the body - (a very interesting read)

"The very first symptoms of ebola are exactly the same as scurvy, which is caused by inadequate vitamin C. Though scurvy is seldom fatal as a primary condition, scurvy also represents only a partial deficiency of vitamin C, the body still has a LOT of vitamin C compared to zero, which ebola causes. Absent ANY vitamin C, blood vessels become very weak and start to lose blood, and platelets become ineffective and unable to trigger clots. So death by ebola is caused by massive internal bleeding and loss of blood, which can be stopped simply by taking enormous doses of vitamin C until the immune system succeeds in killing off the virus."

These viral hemorrhagic fever syndromes share certain clinical features. The Cecil Textbook of Medicine notes that these diseases are characterized by capillary fragility, which translates to easy bleeding, that can frequently lead to severe shock and death. These diseases also tend to consume and/or destroy the platelets, which play an integral role in blood clotting. The clinical presentation of these viral diseases is similar to scurvy, which is also characterized by capillary fragility and a tendency to bleed easily. Characteristic skin lesions develop, which are actually multiple tiny areas of bleeding into the skin that surround the hair follicles. some cases even include bleeding into already healed scars.

jimstonefreelance.com...

Along with the Vitamin C premise, there is a way to make liposomal vitamin C economically at home which has a much higher absorption rate: Regular vitamin C is absorbed at approximately 19%, the balance remains in the gastrointestinal tract to attract water and loosen the bowels. Nanotechnology, liposomalized vitamin C is absorbed at 93%, measurable in the blood stream. A 390% increase in absorption! Get IV results with oral dosage!

www.quantumbalancing.com...

And food grade hydrogen peroxide has been proven to have many health benefits (and "must" be used properly as directed). This is very well explained in the complete version of the following article. I Article excerpts:

Hydrogen peroxide should really be called hydrogen dioxide. Its chemical formula is H2O2. It contains one more atom of oxygen that does water (H20). Newer research indicates we need hydrogen peroxide for a multitude of other chemical reactions that take place throughout the body. For example, we now know that vitamin C helps fight infections by producing hydrogen peroxide, which in turn stimulates the production of prostaglandins. Also lactobacillus found in the colon and vagina produce hydrogen peroxide. This destroys harmful bacteria and viruses, preventing colon disease, vaginitis, bladder infections and a host of other common ailments. (Infect Dis News Aug.8,91:5).

The friendly bacteria in the colon and vagina are aerobic. In other words, they flourish in high oxygen environments and thrive in the presence of oxygen rich H202. On the other hand, most strains of harmful bacteria (and cancer cells) are anaerobic and cannot survive in the presence of oxygen or H202.

No one yet fully understands the complete workings of hydrogen peroxide. We do know that it is loaded with oxygen. (A pint of the food-grade 35% solution contains the equivalent of 130 pints of oxygen. A pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide found at the local drugstore contains 10 pints of oxygen. And a pint of the 6% solution used to bleach hair contains 20 pints of oxygen.) We also know that when H202 is taken into the body (orally or intravenously) the oxygen content of the blood and body tissues increases dramatically. Early researchers felt these increases were simply due to the extra oxygen molecule being released. This doesn't however, appear to be the case.

Only very diluted amounts of H202 are ever introduced into the body. The small amount of oxygen present couldn't be solely responsible for the dramatic changes that take place. Dr. Charles Farr, a strong proponent of intravenous use, has discovered another possible answer. Dr. Farr has shown that hydrogen peroxide stimulates enzyme systems throughout the body. This triggers an increase in the metabolic rate, causes small arteries to dilate and increase blood flow, enhances the body's distribution and consumption of oxygen and raises body temperature (Proceedings of the International Conference on Bio-Oxidative Medicine 1989, 1990, 1991).

www.educate-yourself.org...

These ideas for treatment (not cures) are intended to keep the body healthy enough to survive long enough for the immune system to kick in? Oxygenate the blood, rehydrate the body and load up on C

Here is Biotech2024's reply to me:

a reply to: wishes most of what you mentioned is about trying to increase host defenses/immune system. There may be a basis to it. Like any genetic code through evolution, viruses evolved means to persist over time. The genes they carry trigger immunosuppression and also aid in creating a dispersal syndrome in the host. The methods I'm looking at are more directed towards a specific structural aspects of the virus.

edit on 19-10-2014 by wishes because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2014 by wishes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join