It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ant and the Grasshopper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone posted this but my friend sent me this and i thought it was pretty good.

THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER

This one is a little different....
Two Different Versions! ................. Two Different Morals!

OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself

MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Acorn stages a demonstration in front of the ant 's house where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.' Rev. Jeremiah Wright then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.

Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer..

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the Government GreenCzar.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ants food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote in 2010.

Replaced 'All Caps' in title

[edit on 13/11/09 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Thank you for you thread!. Star and flag for you. See my thread on Healthcare being unconstitutional. Something tells me we are of equal minds on this.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
What a great modern day parable. I would have only added that the grass hopper had 30 starving, uneducated grassshoper children by 25 different grass hopper baby mamas and so the number of grass hoppers began to outnumber the ants and that screwed up the bug election.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
the story if the grasshopper and the octopus.

all year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for the winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched tv.

but then the winter came and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns...

and also he got a racecar!

is any of this getting through to you?

*philip J fry, futurama*

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I thought it was good because i always thought that I worked for everything i have. The guy that has more than me probably worked for it all the same.
I never understood people that do not work and expect something for nothing. In a country where people can move around freely what excuse is there to not have a job?

reply to post by HotSauce

Much like the way a vote would probably not be the best solution in a mental institution.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
TY for the story! s+f

I will be honest here.......

I feel bad for sayin it, but I tend to stay clear of your posts, but this one is awsome! Your changin my mind......again TY

ETA Its not the avatar, I was in the thread that you 1st joined using that pic and thats all...I was there for the joke....

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Thnx, just to let ya know im not Cmdraleon if that is why you avoid the posts. I used his avatar as part of a joke and it just stuck.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

This is my first visit to the Galaxy of Terror and I'd like it to be a pleasant one.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
LOL zaiger. i wasnt sure how a futurama wqquote would hang

im glad another futurama quote came out!

on the OP topic, i wont comment. becuase i believe in not leaving people behind. that being said i also believe in survival of the fittest, so i often argue with myself...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Not one fit person left behind?

second line

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Great story!

It reminds me of this clip from the movie "A Bug's Life" by Pixar.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Davidius]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Bravo!!!!

No second line needed!!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Double post

[edit on 14-11-2009 by The Baby Seal Club]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

ahahaha that is so hilarious and i love that cartoon show.

now on topic-
i love both versions of the story and they really mean something important.

top topics

join