It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Yahoo.com malware/spyware/worm??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Whenever I go to yahoo.com, open my yahoo mail or yahoo messenger. I get a sudden surge in activity of svchost.exe - this never happens in other websites I visit, it should be noted that svchost.exe is popularly targeted by viruses, worms, malware, etc because it's a critical system process(terminating it cripples your Windows OS!). So a virus masquerading as svchost.exe would be impossible to terminate manually - only by antivirus can it be removed(assuming the antivirus is updated enough to recognize the infection)...

In fact, recently, my computer contracted the infamous 'conficker virus' while using one of yahoo's services! It has since been removed by my anti-virus but the virus-like behavior of yahoo remains, sad because it's what I use for nearly all of my messaging..

Does it also strike anyone that the beginning of my yahoo mail url after login is us.mc5...........

USMC??

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that when I removed EVERY trace of Yahoo from my computer I stopped getting about 30-40 spam mails a day!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It is more than likely because yahoo, like windows live, is heavily intergrated with other processes, like mail to messener, mail to calander ect. There are more processes involved so there will be more host processes running, or heavier activity on processes that have been idle.

If you are worried about altered system files, open a cmd promt and type

sfc /scannow

or Google "System File Check" for more info. You can also use a tool like Sysinternal's Process Explorer which will give you a complete rundown of what is doing what. It's freeware btw.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by quackers]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Thanks Quackers, I have to see that for myself!

Anyway, I still don't want yahoo firing up many instances of svchost.exe. I could actually see what its doing now with my firewall. Most are instances of svchost.exe process, wanting to connect to this certain IP address or an IP address wanting to access things in my computer.

Okay... Those maybe legitimate processes after all. But with so many firing up, which I believe can be done with single program on a single IP, and the fact that other sites I visit, doesn't display this behavior, I'm beginning to find it suspicious that I'm considering changing service provider already

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that when I removed EVERY trace of Yahoo from my computer I stopped getting about 30-40 spam mails a day!

DITTO...try Gmail.com much better and way less spam then when I used yahoo.com

LifENcircleS

join