It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man runs over girlfriend while texting each other?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I have heard this story twice now and I am inclined to believe it is complete bunk.

The story is that a man was texting his girlfriend and she texting him about where they were and where they were going to meet. In the story the man is driving and the woman is walking (near a park?). Well apparently the guy looks up just as his girlfriend steps in front of him and he runs her over killing her.

Has anyone else heard this? I have searched to the best of my searching abilities and found nothing showing up. I have used numerous combinations of wording in the text to no avail. I even tried Snopes and ATS and still nothing.

So if anyone has a link to the story or can find one can you please link it here. If anyone else has heard this have they heard any different version of it?

I really think this is just a bunk story brought up due to all of the anti-texting while driving (which I agree with) media now. It seems to fit an urban legend perfectly in all the ways. It ends of course with the idea that texting (not looking at the road) while driving is a bad idea and can kill those you love or ruin your life.

Thanks for any input.

Raist

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I don't have a link or anything but I've heard this story too. I thought it was true cuz why would somebody make something like that up? Now that you explained it I guess I can see why somebody would make it up. I guess I'm just gullible.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by loneoak

I thought it was an advertisement against texting while driving when I first heard it because it seems too coincidental.

I would not call you gullible as it does have that ring to it that does sound like a heart breaking story with something to be learned. If it is nothing more than a story and urban legend than it is set pretty well and I can understand people believing it.

I have though seen and read plenty of urban legend things many I thought were real turned out to be false. I have since learned to question stories like this. So I searched for it but cannot find it anywhere. I am not the best searcher though maybe mediocre. So that is why I came to ATS/BTS to see if my fellow members could help to locate the source and if it was true or false.

Thanks for verifying that at least some others have heard it. I am located in Missouri. What about you, if you don’t mind saying? I am curious about how this story has traveled so far.

Raist

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It is either a new urband legend to caution against texting or it is the truth.

If the man and gf were meeting each other, then it is very possible that they were in the same location. People are silly about texting. I am all for making it illegal while driving.

I have almost had people run me off the road while texting.And the amount of texting people do is just gettin outright rude.

And sometimes truth is stranger then fiction.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That is just it though.
If it is the truth I cannot find anything on it. I even checked out Snopes and they show nothing on it just yet from what I can see. As I said though my searching abilities might not be as good as many on ATS/BTS, that is sort of why I am bringing it here for some help.

I agree if meeting they could be in the same location and this could make it true. But I have this strong thought that it is a new/freshly made urban legend.

As for actually texting and driving it drives me crazy. Actually I am a bit of bias on texting anyway. If you are in a place you cannot talk on the phone you probably should not be texting either (meeting, school, or whatever). I don’t know texting sort of gets on my nerves, I guess I am getting old. lol

Raist

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This Wiki entry might help you with the history of this story.

Episode 11 – Death: A User's Manual – Original Air Date: March 29, 2009

Text Dead August 19, 2005 A man is texting his girlfriend while driving, arguing about where she should be picked up. Since neither of them are paying attention to where they are going, the man accidentally runs over his girlfriend with his half-ton pickup truck when she unknowingly steps out in front of it.

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Thanks.

I have watched several of the 1000 ways to die but some of them seem as though they have to be made up. I am glad that someone came up with something though.

I wish I could find an actual article about the story, because I am still suspect of the show 1000 ways to die.

This is just one of those stories that seems so perfectly written that it could not be true. Hopefully soon I can find an actual article on it.

Thanks again for the link.

Raist

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
...........just want to say hello.............

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by squaell
...........just want to say hello.............

y'know..it's worth the red flag to point out when someone is just being a tool.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

After watching a few more 1000 ways to die I have a striking feeling several of their deaths are nothing more than made up short stories of entertainment.

I have not found any articles to much of their content other than those linking back to them.
I have to still go by the idea that this is nothing more than urban legend and that 1000 ways to die is strictly entertainment. Granted they do have a few real stories such as the guy who let his black widow bite him in order to build up a resistance. I believe that one actually came here to ATS many years ago.

Raist

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It is made up, stories like this that have absolutely no news backing whatsoever, are made up. People die for stupid reasons, the media has a field day with it, this would spark tons of people and fuel the "no texting while driving" law. There is no news stories that I could find using Boyfriend, Girlfriend, husband, Wife, nothing. So for now this is just some made up story.

top topics

join