It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HEALTH ALERT: Metal Filings In Your Cereal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Glad to see the FDA is looking out for our best interests.

Gotta wonder what else is in all the other foods we eat.
Not to digress,but if ceral contains this,one can only imagine what the H1N1 shot can do to people.

Yummy!
Breakfast of champions.....or not.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
WOW!!! This seems to be a major find... I'm not sure what kind of health hazards, if any, consuming iron filings poses, perhaps someone who knows more about it can post some more info regarding that aspect of this.

Anyone care to recreate the experiment?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What's wrong with an iron-rich diet?

Wouldn't that be kinda bad for your intestines?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
for some reason i dont think that works the way it does in the video.

i call hoax until more people actually do it

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
How can this much iron effect you? I know it is bad for your health but also, what other foods has this much iron? Should not the health inspector order the decrease in iron?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

Well you learn something new every day . Wow !

I found this ....

Cereal is often supplemented with iron.
Metallic iron cannot be absorbed by the body; however, iron that's in the oxidized form of Fe3+ is easily absorbed.
The addition of iron filings to food is a common method of iron enrichment.
The metal filings are not bioavailable until they reach the stomach where they are oxidized to Fe3+.

Link

I am still a little shocked .....

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Everyone knows its Total.

JUST SAY IT TOTAL IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Cereal has been like this for a long time, its not something that just started getting added, you don't need a blender or magnet to see this. I remember back in the 90s was the first time I noticed this. I was around 12yrs old and had just finished eating a bowl of cereal, I drank most of the milk but left a little bit in the bowl, I was playing with the little bit of milk left in the bowl sloshing it around the bowl like how someone panning for gold would work the water in the pan, I looked down to find what look like metal shavings in the bowl and freaked out. I immediately told my dad there was tiny bits of metal in my cereal bowl, he looked at them and said its normal he has noticed the same thing for many years. Next time you eat cereal use a white bowl, drink most of the milk and leave a little in the bowl, the remaining milk should hold a surprise for you,see what you can find. I have noticed this with a few different brands.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Should remember though that he used about half the bag, and the bag probably has around 12 servings.

When I was about 11 or so I realized that all the percentages next to the various nutrients did not mean that it was healthy...it's basically a sugar high with a multivitamin shoved in, that's what it comes to really. You'd be better off skipping the vast amount of carbs and go for just the vitamin in pill form. Even those don't have iron in it normally, at least men's formulas, since it increases oxidative stress.

It's interesting too how when we see food blended up, its not so appealing (shocker, I know). That big mac looks fantastic. Oh really? Try blending it up and see how thick and sticky it is. After that you might not ever want to have one again. Blended up fruit on the other hand....no one finds that disgusting. Veggies blended up are disgusting but so are they in their unblended form

[edit on 3-11-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Seriously, guys? No joke, I saw this exact same experiment on Bill Nye the Science Guy when I was about 10 years old.

Prove to me that this iron is bad for me before trying to scare me out of a breakfast. Is there any data out there that shows people who eat Total every morning suffering from gastrointestinal illnesses or problems with the liver or kidneys?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
yet no one is concerned with the maximum 10% pus content the FDA allows in teh milk.
interesting.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeirdVibes
Seriously, guys? No joke, I saw this exact same experiment on Bill Nye the Science Guy when I was about 10 years old.

Prove to me that this iron is bad for me before trying to scare me out of a breakfast. Is there any data out there that shows people who eat Total every morning suffering from gastrointestinal illnesses or problems with the liver or kidneys?

Here is a research paper on the subject of Iron and Foliate in Fortified Cereals PDF

On page 6 - a study conducted in Finland is mentioned , i`ll let you make your own mind up on the subject.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If your worried about iron shavings eat Fiber 1 and drink 64 oz of water.
Clean ya right out in a matter of 24 hrs

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Hi, iron fans and no-fans.

I write the message just to say this: I don't buy the Fe3+ stuff.

What **I** learned was: that iron oxyde is Fe2O3 !

For the moment WHAT tells me that Fe3+ is REALLY formed in the stomach ??
NOTHING, because I did read this thread right now, and I know nothing still.

Conclusion?
I will do researches, with IXQUICK on: stomach, iron, Fe3+, Fe2O3, and
other keywords mixes. . .

Blue skies.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeirdVibes

I also saw this experiment on Bill Nye the Science Guy many years ago.

The problem with ingesting soil minerals or metals from the earth is that they have a tendency to end up in the brain whereby they short circuit the synapses causing memory loss. They can also mess with the immune system and cause disease of which I learned the hard way. That's why I avoid all canned foods and cooking or eating from anything metal.

Iron is fine from a plant or meat source but metals from the soil have side effects. If iron from plants was exactly the same as iron in the earth, there would be no reason to eat plants to get our minerals. All we would need to do is sterilize dirt and then eat it. You also can't take iron from a green plant and expect to heat it up or weld it to make something.

The body can utilize minerals from the soil to some extent but there are always side effects. Sodium from the soil causes high blood pressure, calcium from the soil causes kidney stones, and iron or metal from the earth causes memory loss. On the other hand, sodium from plants causes no side effects, calcium from plants causes no side effects, and iron from plants causes no side effects.

It's always best to get your nutrients from plant sources.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Ah, this one was one of the first topics I ever read on ATS. And it is true. Has been for ages. You really can use a ziploc and a magnet and see the amount of metal in your cereal.

I was a bit suprised that you could see it, but I knew it was in there, it is listed on the box and tauted as needed and good for you. My doctor agrees with that. I just don't eat cereal all the time, only in moderation, not because of this but I just don't care much for it. But I don't think it would be good for anyone to eat a lot of cereal.

new topics

top topics

join