It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 40 Dead in Disputed US Attack in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
More than 40 people are dead after a US helicopter fired on a wedding, Iraqi officials say. US officials indicate the strike was not on a wedding party, but on a suspected guerilla safehouse. The strike occurred at about 2:45 a.m. local time Wednesday in Makr al-Deeb, a village in a remote desert area near Iraq's border with Syria and Jordan.
Coalition forces are said to have recovered large amounts of Iraqi and Syrian currency, numerous weapons, and foreign passports from the location.

Source

Lt. Col Ziyad al-Jbouri, deputy police chief of the city of Ramadi, said between 42 and 45 people died in the attack, which took place about 2:45 a.m. in a remote desert area near the border with Syria and Jordan. He said those killed included 15 children and 10 women.

Dr. Salah al-Ani, who works at a hospital in Ramadi, put the death toll at 45.

Associated Press Television News obtained videotape showing a truck containing bodies of those allegedly killed.

About a dozen bodies, one without a head, could be clearly seen. but it appeared that bodies were piled on top of each other and a clear count was not possible.

The Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television reported that more than 20 people were killed and 10 injured in the attack.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[Edited on 5-25-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Son of a bitch rat US Military bastards.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Dont we have enough sensationalism with the US media, Its Says Planes MAY have!!

Lets not be as bad them

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
They are showing video on fox news about it now.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Sky News:

More than 40 people have been killed in a US helicopter attack in Iraq, according to AP news agency.

Please note the according to AP news...
Although to be honest it wouldn't surprise me, because it goes on to say,

AP reported that Iraqi witnesses said partygoers were firing in the air in traditional wedding celebration.

American troops have sometimes mistaken celebratory gunfire for hostile fire.

Sky news

Funnily enough Blair's purple condom is top news on Sky, talk about sensationlism...

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This is part of what is so wrong with the way the current US administration is handling things. Every day, we seem to mess up more. You can't win the hearts and minds of people this way! Is a sad thing to say the least.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Bear in mind that, if I am correct, Middle East weddings are celebrated with guns firing in the air.. The helicopter may have thought it was the insurgents.. A similar incident happened in Afghanistan when a plane got 'fired on' when flying over a wedding party

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
thats 1 hell of a 21 gun salute !
sorry i kow its kinda sad but u can c how they mad ethe mistake

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

In July 2002, Afghan officials said 48 civilians at a wedding party were killed and 117 wounded by a U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan's Uruzgan province. An investigative report released by the U.S. Central Command said the airstrike was justified because American planes had come under fire.

Unless they were celebrating by firing 'Surface to Air Rockets', it would seem that these guys over-reacted just a bit, don't ya think?

Come under fire is stretching it big time, if you're talking about some handguns or even a few rifles popping off a few rounds. I mean it's a Military Plane, in flight and is in more danger of being struck by lightning than being shot down by a few stray bullets.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Perhaps if you know your country is being patrolled by a foreign military which has been subject to many attacks from people who look like ordinary civilians, firing a bunch of machine guns into the air is not a great idea at a wedding at 2:45 in the morning while your kids sleep in the house.

I'm not saying they deserved to be fired on by any means, but I would think if I were in a similar situation (occupying force, wartime, attacks), I might put up a "No Gunfire" sign at my wedding.

Also, I seem to often read about how they are an older culture, dating back 2000 years etc. If firing their guns is such an important part of their wedding celebration, how did they ever get married in the old days?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This is outrageous! I'm tired of the military's excuses! "We mistakingly thought they were firing at us. Ooops! We didn't realize it was a wedding and it was tradition to fire weapons in Iraq during a wedding. Forget the women and children who were there." The military should be smart enough to know it was a wedding. If not, then I call that bad intelligence once again.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Oh great. This is just great. I mean Jesus Christ!! How many times can these arseholes screw up before people open their eyes.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
about a dozen bodies, one without a head, could be clearly seen.

Did it have an orange jumpsuit on?

This is sad.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dpglow
Perhaps if you know your country is being patrolled by a foreign military which has been subject to many attacks from people who look like ordinary civilians, firing a bunch of machine guns into the air is not a great idea at a wedding at 2:45 in the morning while your kids sleep in the house.

I'm not saying they deserved to be fired on by any means, but I would think if I were in a similar situation (occupying force, wartime, attacks), I might put up a "No Gunfire" sign at my wedding.

Also, I seem to often read about how they are an older culture, dating back 2000 years etc. If firing their guns is such an important part of their wedding celebration, how did they ever get married in the old days?

I agree it's not the most intelligent thing to be doing at 3am while a War is happening all around you. But that is one hell of a consequence and death toll.

Jaywalking in Vegas at night isn't that smart either, neither is setting of fireworks, eating while driving, or sticking your face in the fan. However, a wedding slaughter of civilian 'cowboy's' by Military Air Strike is a bit much!!!

Perhaps the Bride in a Gown or the layout of the Wedding party and guests should have been a slight clue that this may not exactly be a Terrorist Sneak Attack. This takes 'Shoot first, ask questions later' to an very extreme level. That is one hell of a body count.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's the "shoot first, answer later" mentality that gets them in this position. We had troops in Afganistan that experienced this type of thing, 4 dead and, I believe, 9 injured. If the first sight of activity gets the triger finger going, maybe your in the wrong line of work. Not saying all crews are like this but the ones that are should be pulled.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
dont always blame the military
intelegence always screws up
its a fact
more than often its our soldiers that die from bad intel

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I for one hope that US Intelligence is NOT tracking wedding planners in Iraq.

Also, another possible scenario relating to this quote--

"Al-Ani said people at the wedding fired weapons in the air, and that American troops came to investigate and left. However, al-Ani said, helicopters attacked the area at about 3 a.m. Two houses were destroyed, he said."

Maybe the investigating troops found that there was in fact a wedding, but maybe they also found there were also other operations or high value targets at the wedding.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
If they're dumb enough to fire weapons in the air in a war zone then they and their offspring deserve their Darwin award. How many helicopters have been shot down in Iraq? So, you think everytime they see weapons fire they should go land and ask "hey were you shooting at us or are you just having a wedding"? Duh.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
they were having a wedding party in the middle of the desert, near the syrian border and shooting guns at 2:45 am. hmmm was this really a wedding party???

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Its a pity these gunships werent about at my wedding.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join