It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Large Hadron Collider at Cern is fired up for first time since 'quench'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

The huge particle accelerator successfully powered some protons and lead ions around short sections of its 17-mile ring on Friday, and everything seemed to be working correctly.

Engineers and scientists have been warily putting it through its paces for the first time since its catastrophic breakdown, or “quench”, which happened when two of the LHC’s huge superconducting magnets suffered a short circuit within days of it powering up.

So far the initial start up tests have been successful, and scientists are cautiously optimistic that this time things won't go wrong.

I wonder if we are going to have all the fanfare that we did last year ... with large portions of the population predicting doom and gloom. Not to mention ravenous black holes that would swallow up Switzerland and all other sinners.

L ink

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

So why did you start this thread then is it because you think all doom and gloomers are going to chime in

I wonder if we are going to have all the fanfare that we did last year ... with large portions of the population predicting doom and gloom. Not to mention ravenous black holes that would swallow up Switzerland and all other sinners.

Lets face it nobody knows what will happen until it happens.
We can not stop them so lets see.

THANKYOU

[edit on 093131p://2009-10-28T09:12:55-05:002810 by mars1]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Finally me baby is ready to perform its duties, nice.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

I started the thread because it happens to be News.

Last year there was huge fanfare - and of course it all ended in an embaressing failure. My question is if they will do it more quietly this time, and then announce a successful Full Power trial.

The Doom and Gloom club just adds one interesting angle to a very incredible science experiment.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I did not mean it in a bad way it's just that it's written in a way that you are trying to get a reaction from the doomers sorry if it sounded like i was having a dig

THANKYOU

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The Doom and Gloom club just adds one interesting angle to a very incredible science experiment.

Evidently, the scientific community has their own "doom and gloom" conspiracy theory as to why their attempt at being God has failed.

A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

This malign influence from the future, they argue, could explain why the United States Superconducting Supercollider, also designed to find the Higgs, was canceled in 1993 after billions of dollars had already been spent, an event so unlikely that Dr. Nielsen calls it an “anti-miracle.”

In the case of the Higgs and the collider, it is as if something is going back in time to keep the universe from being hit by a bus. Although just why the Higgs would be a catastrophe is not clear. If we knew, presumably, we wouldn’t be trying to make one.

www.nytimes.com...

I think it is like giving "Frankinstein" the button and telling him to go outside and play. Oh wait... do over, do over, do over and over again!

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Siren]

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Siren]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

so abhorrent to nature

I wonder why the hypothesised Higgs is so abhorrent while all other particles are not? If the "theory" of abhorrent Higgs is remotely correct, than sabotage would have happened much earlier in the game, during the discovery of W and Z at CERN SPS, many years ago. After all, it is symmetry breaking among W, Z and photon which gave rise to Higgs theory.

I'll be at CERN in early December, that will be an exciting time.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well they fired her up, and within 3 minutes there was an earthquake of 5.2 near ascenion island....jus saying

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I cannot believe they finally fire this sucker up, and no one here cares, too many good news stories today I guess, which one should I focus on.....hmmmm

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Beam sent round Big Bang machine
By Paul Rincon
Science reporter, BBC News

The Atlas detector will join the hunt for the Higgs boson particle
Engineers have sent proton particles all the way round the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) machine for the first time in more than a year.

But they still do not have a stable circulating beam; this step is expected to happen after 0600 GMT on Saturday.

The LHC is housed in a 27km-long circular tunnel some 100m beneath the French-Swiss border.

It will smash together beams of protons in a bid to shed light on the nature of the Universe.

More soon.

[email protected]

new topics

top topics

join