It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 7 security settings may leave PCs vulnerable to cyberattacks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
UAC was introduced in Vista to mitigate the problem with XP running every process with full admin rights by default. People complained about this feature so in 7 some built in apps can auto elevate by default. It is simple to bump up UAC behavior to the Vista level, just type some of this phrase into the search box in the start menu "Change User Account Control settings".

UAC is not meant as defense against cyberattacks, that would generally be the job of the firewall. UAC is meant to control processes already running on your pc.

[edit] if "cyberattacks" are something that concern you, then Windows is probably your best bet. Mac and most Linux desktop distros do not ship with a firewall enabled by default. Mac's firewall is very limited and while linux has good firewalls their configuration is not straightforward.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Jor-El]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So Windows 7 installs with a configured Firewall by default? I highly doubt that, friend. My firewall is very easy to configure, even has prompts to guide the novice along. And, Firefox does take some configuration, tweaking, and add ons to make it run fast and be safe.
For you Firefox users, here is a little Voodo that will make your Firefox fly.
How to Double Firefox Speed

28 Coolest Firefox About:Config Tricks

Try that with IE! (closed source browser)

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
So Windows 7 installs with a configured Firewall by default? I highly doubt that, friend.

Sure it does since Vista. Open wf.msc "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" and you will see; this was one of my main reasons for upgrading from XP. By default inbound traffic is blocked, although there are some basic exceptions. I have a netsh script I run to lock it down tight.

You can also watch network activity using packet sniffers like Network Monitor or Wireshark, or use an IDS like Snort or hardware like network taps.

Source: I work and play in IT and have some certs.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jprophet420

Wireshark for a period of time, then I gave up because it was useless and nothing would happen.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I run OSX Snow Leopard, and frankly it is awesome! Also I run Windows 7 on Boot Camp, and Linux at work. I definitely like using OSX the most. I run no anti-virus and no firewall and have had ZERO virus or problems.....and ive been using Macs since the Tiger days.

You guys can keep bickering over Windows security holes blah blah blah, I'll keep on keepin on with my shiny Macbook. :-)

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
I run OSX Snow Leopard, and frankly it is awesome! Also I run Windows 7 on Boot Camp, and Linux at work. I definitely like using OSX the most. I run no anti-virus and no firewall and have had ZERO virus or problems.....and ive been using Macs since the Tiger days.

You guys can keep bickering over Windows security holes blah blah blah, I'll keep on keepin on with my shiny Macbook. :-)

I also prefer to use Snow Leopard over Windows 7 as a desktop, as the UI is still that much more elegant. I would recommend it to people who can afford it or for kids.

All code has vulnerabilities and bugs. Just because you might not be getting pop ups, doesn't mean someone could have rooted your system. OSX tends to be much easier to exploit, it's just that due to numbers there is not as much "reward" in either profit or challenge.

IMO Windows is still the most advanced in terms of security, most people just don't know how to use it right.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Here is both sides of the controversy of this topic.

UAC Code Injection Issue
www.pretentiousname.com...

Microsoft response on TechNet
technet.microsoft.com...

Most important thing to point out:
Processes that can auto elevate must be signed Windows binaries in secure folders.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join