It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth of "jobs Americans won't take"!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm sure that all of you have heard this many times over, every time the critically important issue of illegal immigration is debated -- that the illegals take the jobs that Americans won't take.

Before I touch on the flawed logic of such assertion, cut to my visit to Canada a few days ago.

I went to Alberta and observed a variety of job functions performed by local Canadian population. This included bus drivers, receptionists, construction workers, cleaning stuff in hotels, maintenance workers, waiters, store clerks etc. I did not see a single Mexican doing these jobs.

Back in the States, many of such positions are in fact manned by Mexicans (I could say immigrants, but since 99% of them are of Mexican origin, the point is moot) - and a great deal of these manned by illegal immigrants who displaced US citizens. We are then told that this onslaught from south of River Grande is a blessing for the US because they fill jobs that Americans won't take. I call this a blatant lie and sellout.

How come that able bodied Canadians do these jobs (often menial jobs) and seem to be happy, while somebody (like that purveyor of lies, Mr.Navarette) wants me to believe that if I move a few miles across the border, same kind of people are just too lazy to do same? If anybody buys that, they need their head examined.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
With the economy the way it is, these days, I don't think there is such a thing as "Jobs Americans won't take".

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's not that they're taking "jobs Americans won't take" it's that they are taking jobs Americans WOULD take. I completely agree, there is no blessing to be found in the sellout lie that has been propogated for some time now. I find it to be an excuse to not enforce immigration laws to some extent.

One side note, it's not 99% Mexican. I worked with a painting company owned by a Cuban guy (that was legal) and he hired many people from Cuba, Honduras, and Nicaragua

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Here, Here. I'll tell you something. With the way the economy is and the job market there are plenty of people who would take those jobs. Illegals should not have jobs when there are jobless Americans who need them. We are citizens. We have more of a right to have those jobs than the illegal aliens. I've been out of work before and would of gladly done menial work. However all the illegals had those jobs or were preferred because they get paid less. Those jobs should be ours. They need to step aside and let legal aliens and citizens do that work.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
How come that able bodied Canadians do these jobs (often menial jobs) and seem to be happy, while somebody (like that purveyor of lies, Mr.Navarette) wants me to believe that if I move a few miles across the border, same kind of people are just too lazy to do same?

I think you better figure out the answer to that question yourself, if you're an american.

Originally posted by Shadowflux
With the economy the way it is, these days, I don't think there is such a thing as "Jobs Americans won't take".

Yup, because they're now more in the same position economically as their mexican counterparts.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by guardstarr
Here, Here. I'll tell you something. With the way the economy is and the job market there are plenty of people who would take those jobs. Illegals should not have jobs when there are jobless Americans who need them. We are citizens. We have more of a right to have those jobs than the illegal aliens. I've been out of work before and would of gladly done menial work. However all the illegals had those jobs or were preferred because they get paid less. Those jobs should be ours. They need to step aside and let legal aliens and citizens do that work.

What gives you the right to get the job when they're willing to work for less pay?
They need to feed their families too, and usually have a harder time when they don't know english

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
What gives you the right to get the job when they're willing to work for less pay?

There are laws in this country that regulate labor market. Did you know about this?

On a more accessible side -- America has worked hard to create a maintain a high (or relatively high) standard of living. Plunging compensation levels are eroding that. Are you saying it's OK?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

They need to feed their families too, and usually have a harder time when they don't know english

What gives me the right? Well lets see. I live here LEGALLY! So do LEGAL ALIENS. We have the right to have these jobs more than ILLEGALS. Understand???? If they have families to feed then they should work where they are legally able to work.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by guardstarr

Nice. Also, what gives the companies the right to exploit/ attract illegals in the first place? They're not trying to help them, they just want a bigger profit margin.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ever seen that show on the Discovery Channel, Dirty Jobs? Almost w/o exception, the jobs they showcase are held by Americans...these workers don't even look "borderline illegal". So, based upon that, I would say that Americans (especially right now) will take any kind of job that is available. I believe the old adage that illegal immigrants do jobs nobody else wants is propaganda created by Corporate America to justify paying what amounts slave labor wages.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
With the economy being such as it is, and as long as it's been since I've had an economics course, I really shouldn't comment on the present.

But historically, this has been true. It's been true since way before we were born. Adolescents now seem to have the fast food industry covered, (no money to be had in a drive-thru window), but the other jobs, the really difficult jobs nobody wants to do, have historically been covered by immigrants and the working poor.

Anybody want to wash windows? Clean toilets? Dig trenches? Pick apples?
Put fresh asphault down on a burning hot highway, or roof a house in the summer time?

We've had enough work for people to snub those jobs and pass them along to someone else.

Maybe we don't anymore.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
You hear this argument in the UK too. Especially about E Europeans. It's true to a certain extent, but what they don't tell you about are the illegal houses in multiple occupation, the tax and identity scams etc which mean people can afford to work for a minimum wage and send a sizable chunk home to help maintain their real homes.
What they don't tell you about is how this drives down pay rates overall.
What they don't tell you about are the building etc firms going under because there is always a guy wanting to work 'cash in hand' and undercut you.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I believe the old adage that illegal immigrants do jobs nobody else wants is propaganda created by Corporate America to justify paying what amounts slave labor wages.

Yup, I suppose that was the point in my OP.

What I can't believe if that this is repeated in mainstream media ad nauseam.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My first job was cleaning bathrooms and shopping carts at our local K-Mart. Before that I mowed lawns and picked weeds.

This myth was busted as soon as it was created.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There wouldn't even be a question here, if the government cracked down on the people who hire these illegals.

Yes, there are a lot of people who would love to work one of these jobs held down by illegals right now.

Also, these are the types of jobs that high school age kids used to be hired to do, over summer vacation, or after school.

Everyone has to start somewhere, so the fault lies with the people who hire illegals. They should be made an example of.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

What gives me the right is that I'm an American citizen, they're not. They are here ILLEGALLY 'Nuff said.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I challenge anyone who is currently unemployed (and will take "any" job) to go to a place of business that has illegal workers and DEMAND that they fire the illegal and give you the job. Restaurants work good...look for the busboy...or construction sites. Threaten to call the authorities if they do not comply...

The illegals should be easy to spot...just go around shouting "inmigración"

I say this jokingly, but...if one wants the illegals to give up their paying positions in lieu of job seeking Americans, then why wait for the government to step in and enforce the laws...get out there and drum up your own employment.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What a load of BS in here. Most Americans will still not take the jobs because they can sit back and get unemployment for roughly the same amount of money if not more per week or they are on welfare.

I talk to so many people that are out of work and 99% say they are just going to go back to school and milk the benefits from the state or their severances they received. They do the minimum to keep getting unemployment and make sure their resumes wont get picked.

I'm currently looking to hire sales people and the job pays over 60k per year but I haven't even had 20 people apply.

People may say they would take any job but when push comes to shove they wont as long as they can get unemployment or welfare checks. This isn't 100% of people but its the majority here in the NW.

"Nuff" said...

top topics

join