It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military now trying to bribe Iraqi prisoners?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

At the Camp War Horse detention centre in Baguba, north of Baghdad, it is a surreal scene: US soldiers handing out cash to freed prisoners along with a note saying "You have not been mistreated."

Desperate to limit the damage from the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, the US military has launched something of a charm offensive surrounding their detention centres.

Camp War Horse, a 1,500 square metre (more than 16,000 square foot) complex on a windswept strip of desert, is the first port of call for "anti-Iraqi forces" arrested by the Americans in Diyala province, north of Baghdad.

Detainees are interrogated for between three and seven days.

Then they are either sent home, or, if something turns up the US military does not like, handed over to Iraqi police or transfered to the US 1st Infantry Division, based in Saddam Hussein's home town of Tikrit.

"Have you been mistreated?" the governor asks the detainees, dressed in orange boilersuits.

"No. We have never been tortured," chorused those behind bars as some 50 soldiers stood nearby.

The visit (by journalist to the prison) ends in applause. Just as the visitors get ready to leave, a prisoner is freed.

Pittard hands Fahek Jamil, 38, 20 dollars -- compensation for his four-day detention without cause.

He is also given a note in Arabic. "You have not been maltreated. Return to your home in peace and know that the Americans are working for a better life for the Iraqi people," it says.

Full Story: www.channelnewsasia.com...

That is some PR they have going there!

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Jonna]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What can I say US always try to buy itself out of any situation, I believe that about a week ago Rumsfield (I dont know how to spell his name) said in the news that the abused prisionels will be compensated with money.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i still want to know how much they compensate those abused in the pic with?

detention for 4 days....................... $20
detention and being humilated....... $100?
sexual abuse, sodomy and permanent pyschological damage............................................priceless

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Texti still want to know how much they compensate those abused in the pic with?

You got it

The reality of the situation is that the money will come from us as usual, yesterday on our local news the comisioner are considering racing taxes on property also my daughter just lost the money for books fees on another cut on state services and as usual the ball will roll down the hill and very soon we all are going to feel the toll of this war. And this does not include the lawsuits that iraquis will charge US with. Not a bright future for us. But what can I say we are a country of unlimited resorces.

One more thing I wonder how much the person that released those pics has goten for them.

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by marg6043]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I don't like to jump to conclusions, but this sounds like fairly standard practice from before the pics were released.

"You have not been maltreated. Return to your home in peace and know that the Americans are working for a better life for the Iraqi people,"

Doesn't sound like "take this �20 and keep your mouth shut" That would be far more effective done in private anyway. This looks like a standard, heres �20 sorry we made a mistake, now you know we're not evil go live in peace.

No reason to suspect these prisoners have been abused or that they are being bribed.

new topics

top topics

join