It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Eployment steady(ish)......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Unemployment increased 88,000 to 2.47 million in the three months to August, from the three months to May. The jobless rate rose to 7.9% from 7.6%.

Despite fears of another rise in youth unemployment, this actually fell in the three months to August, declining to 946,000 from 947,000 in the three months to July.

Not bad on this side of the pond.

on a personal level my old man runs a small manufacturing business employing about 50 people give or take(which i don't work for), and he is involved in caravan manufacture though to construction industries.

And September was one of his best months of the year so far.

Signs of a real turn around are happening.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Jamesy_boy

I would not count on that just wait till the government stops proping the house of cards up the government is running dry it will not be long now.
Everything is been manipulated so you think it's ok you will see.

THANKYOU

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Unemployed people can only claim jobseekers allowance for a set number of weeks - after that they remain unemployed but do not show up in the Government's figures/statistics

This is just one example of many which show that Government figures cannot be trusted, they are inaccurate

The employment situation in the UK is bleaker than I have ever known it (and I clearly remember the late 1980's slump)

I see headlines regarding economic recovery but absolutely no evidence of it (in the North West of England) in fact, there are horrendous numbers of companies / businesses down-sizing or closing down every single week - employers are not taking on staff - wages / salaries are dropping for the few that are available (or they are taking on on the basis of temporary contracts only)

Sorry - but I don't believe the hype

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

That is so true nothing is what it seems everything is manipulated just look at the markets they keep rising for no reason there is no good news out there but stock market's on the up it's MANIPULATION.

THANKYOU

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The second reply is untrue.

Jobseeker's Allowance (Income based) will be paid for as long as your income is less than the applicable amount and the conditions for receipt are met.

You can claim it for an infinite length in the UK.

To quote Warren Buffett 'Its only when the tide goes out that you see who has been swimming naked'

In a recession the best businesses survive.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

If the govt was half as good at actually running the country as they are at "massaging the statistics" we'd be in a far healthier position than we are! They've always done it, lied that is.

For example, just one of their ploys is to give all these teenagers phone numbers which are very difficult to get through to, then, when they do get through, they are messed around as much as possible, and left without money for as long as they can get away with it. Also. giving them wrong information, and stalling them as long as possible.

Then there are the useless little courses they are sent on, where for 20 weeks they will be on " Jobseeking skills" type basic courses, where they get exactly the same amount of money, but technically they are not on unemployment benefits! Oh, and on one of those weeks the army will pop in on a recruitment drive.

Don't kid yourself! No roses or green shoots in Britain's garden.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Here,s the bit i don't relate to, We as a country have survived the cold war the Falkland's,s and the "troubles" IE N,Ireland We always had the money to support these conflicts, Take the Cold war alone plus paying back the states at the same time it must have cost trillions over the 30/40 year time spam. We have always had the monies to support ourselves, Were does are monies go IMO,

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

This is correct (based upon NI contributions)

"A person's entitlement to contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance is based on their
National Insurance contributions in two specified tax years. If they satisfy the test they
may receive a personal age-related rate of benefit for up to 182 days (6 months)
irrespective of savings, capital or a partner's earnings. Additional benefit for partners or
dependants are not paid with contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Taken straight from the Government siteLINK

Where it is income based it is income support

"Contribution-based: -
Benefit is based on National Insurance contributions and is paid at a personal rate for up
to 6 months.
Income-based: -
Benefit based on claimants’ and dependants’ needs - payable for as long as qualifying
conditions are met."

[edit on 14-10-2009 by suziwong]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Sorry Jamsey-boy but your comment

"In a recession the best businesses survive." is also naive and misguided

As a consequence of the banking failure - good and viable businesses are being run into the ground - due to projects not getting off the ground due to lack of funding, other clients going into receivership befor they pay their bills etc not all folding businesses are poor businesses

It is also the case in the UK that any business which have any kind of bank funding (which is a large number) have now to undergo financial reviews - banks are forcing companies to either accept far higher repayments or hand over shares / sometimes the entire company to the bank.....all as a consequence of the banks own failure........daylight robbery.

new topics

top topics

join