It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police in Wales have taken DNA samples from more than 55,000 innocent people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
POLICE in Wales have taken DNA samples from more than 55,000 innocent people, we can reveal.

Almost half of these – an estimated 23,651 – were taken by South Wales Police alone, costing the force a whopping £1.5m.

In total, the nation’s four police forces have spent an estimated £3.4m in gathering DNA samples from innocent people.

But, while the Government estimates that one in five people on the national DNA database are innocent of any crime, they have admitted they have NO IDEA what the real amount could be.

Since 2001, police have taken DNA samples from anyone they arrest or caution, even if no charges are brought against them. Current law allows an innocent person’s DNA profile to be kept for up to 12 years.

With an estimated 4.5 million profiles, the DNA database for England and Wales is the largest in the world, and includes adults and children as young as 10...

Liberty’s legal officer, Anna Fairclough, told Wales on Sunday: “The Government is fond of justifying its retention of innocents’ DNA with the trite phrase: ‘nothing to hide, nothing to fear’. Those affected do not agree. They have done no wrong and they deeply resent their DNA profiles being held alongside those of murderers and rapists.”

Source< br />

‘nothing to hide, nothing to fear’

Is this what it has come to? If i am innocent i expect to be treated as such. I would hate the idea of having my DNA on a database, especially if i had not been charged for any crime.

'Innocent until proven guilty' is fast becoming 'guilty until proven innocent', and this is a very dangerous situation.

Also what a waste of funds. Spending money on keeping tabs on innocent people?

1984 anyone?

Peace.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
UK seems to be leading the progression to police state. That along with all the cameras...

I'm sure there are some more programs that someone can fill us in on.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You know if your not actually convicted of anything you can go down and tell them you want it from the files? The guy who runs some course I'm on told me that and i was like Naaaahh no way.. so he explained and apparently you can go down and tell them.

The police don't even do anything in the UK anymore. Just going after..... well tbh I don't know because I haven't seen one around here in ages....

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Seems like in the UK there making it so rough on the streets that innocent people fear going out at night (despite what crime statistics say.)

My bet is that they plan to make this country overthrown with so many criminals on Bail/Caution that they make the common folk live in fear without having to govern it themselves. Afterall theres so many CCTV and Speed Cameras in hidden places the police make us think there always looking out for us during our busy overpriced commute to work.

What this country really should be doing is giving more power to the people again making the criminals less likely to target us. Dumblane was great for criminals as it gave them freedom without fearing getting shot whilst doing a attempted robbery, bring back guns in the UK for civilians and then Criminals would think twice. Forget all this DNA database nonsense, what we need is freedom of power and the authority in our law to defend ourselves as we deem necessary.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Maybe they were ordered to do this to help ensure the race is not forgotten when 2012 hits.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by threekings

Speaking of CCTV cameras:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We truly live in a surveillance society

new topics

top topics

join