It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids banned from walking/biking to school?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
his was implemented in 1994. Has this rule always been enforced or just recently?

If it has always been enforced, it speaks loudly about the parents who remained quiet and chose to accept such policy.

I could criticize the school all day about this, but the parents played a role for allowing such measure to be implemented in the first place.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

I bike down much worse everyday.

The Google Search brings up old news. Looks like 2 stories repeated a couple of times. Search it Google News for the past month and you dont get anything.

A man struck Aug 2009 and a child struck May 2008.
www.poststar.com...
ssutah.blogspot.com...

Hardly qualifies as death st USA.

Besides, traveling on that road is between the parents and the child. The school has nothing to with it.

reply to post by jam321

That's interesting. Maybe since most families typically rely on cars and bus transportation this simply never came up as a hindrance?

[edit on 30-9-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
When i was in school grades 4 5 and 6 i walked to school everyday! with my older sister, as she had always walked to school. hell, my grandfather walked 2 to school in the dead of winter with shoes on! last year of school i rode my bike* middle school iw as drivin, but started to take the bu. thier was alot of fighting, mischevous stuff on the bus! since when was it illegal to ride a bike to school or walk>? is thier a state construction thing going on they were riding through? if not..the parents got themselves a damn good winning lawsuit here

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Safety. I know people who weren't allowed to walk to school no matter how close it was because of a busy street or train tracks.

You know why? Not because they're censoring you or there's a conspiracy to make Americans fat and unhealthy, but because the PEOPLE have conspiracy with the government/school district.

People take advantage of their freedoms and sue the school systems/cities/government when their kid gets hit on a busy street, on train tracks, etc, and win.

If we weren't such a sue-happy country, people would be able to do what they're used to. Since people are idiots and continue to think they're entitled to anything and everything, yes, some freedoms are taken away. Don't take it up with the schools or government, take it up with your neighbors and/or peers who put these sort of things in place!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I had a choice in 5th & 6th grade - get up early and ride the bus for 60 minutes as mine was the first pickup or walk 15-20 minutes. It seems they encouraged us to ride the bus at certain times for revenue reasons, but other than that they didn't care. I walked and rode my bike for 7-9th because I was too close for a bus. It was extra work for the school for bike riders, because we often forgot our bikes at the school and the janitor would take them inside & lock them up overnight.

Maybe the school just doesn't want to deal with lost, stolen or forgotten bikes, either that or they don't want to deal with a dead student if it's that dangerous.

Regardless, I don't like their rule.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Unfortunately, our sue happy society has created more and more regulations on all of us.

Probably some parents sued for something that happened on the way to or from school, and so the result is this stupid law.

Everyone is afraid of getting sued these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join