It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nero's Rotating Dining Room Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I found this article in the Daily Mail, the full title of which is:

Roman Emperor Nero's Legendary Rotating Dining Room Uncovered By Archaeologists.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The title says it all really. I thought it was an interesting read.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f47de7a6edc.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 30-9-2009 by berenike]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
That's pretty awesome.
Nice find. S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well dang I was wondering when they would find that. It will be good to see if they can find the hydralic system - if the lead or copper piping wasn't looted and melted.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Here's another article, this time about an amphitheatre that archaeologists have dug up in Portus.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/439dd8f1f232.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 1-10-2009 by berenike]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Wow this is an amazing find,
The description of it sounds like something you might find these days in modern times.
The ingenuity of the ancient people never ceases to amaze me.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Trivia point

Depending on which system of time you follow this would be as you say, part of the Ancient world or the Classical world

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Very cool, it really is quite amazing what was accomplished way back when. Hopefully much of it was intact. Saw that they also found several support pillars. But nonetheless, extremely interesting stuff.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Ancient technology being rediscovered today, of course they are hiding most of it from us.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Ancient technology being rediscovered today, of course they are hiding most of it from us.

I always like to ask. Who is 'they' and why would they care? Also how do they control the looters who bring to light over 80% of the material recovered?

Just asking questions!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
That was a really cool read, Thanks for sharing.
S&F

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
how about that..... a land locked space needle..... sorry had to do that...

I had never heard of this before... but this is a great find for history....

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by Aquarius1

I always like to ask. Who is 'they' and why would they care? Also how do they control the looters who bring to light over 80% of the material recovered?

Just asking questions!

Yeah, i'm with Hanslune on this one. Seeing as how i'm majoring in anthropology (with a focus on paleoanthropology, but i still have a fascination with archaeology), i'd like to know what organization you think hides info from the public. 90% of the (purposeful) finds are done by universities. My professor wouldn't find an artifact and tell me not to tell anyone about it!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Howdy Schmidt

Well exactly I have over 40 years of experience either as an Archaeologist in the field or an active amateur. I've never come across or heard anyone in the business mention this (except for those who were in the Communist empire-and those restrictions were in writing and well known). Odd that the people who should be doing the suppressing don't seem to know anything about it....LOL

It seems to be a mantra people who believe in fringe just repeat over and over. It is an excellent way to explain away the lack of evidence for x, y and zed

As I'm sure Schmidt can tell you Academia is full of people who would do anything to make a major new find. For with that you get tenure, grants, book deals and TV specials and the all time high, a call from National Geo.
(okay that one has tarnished a bit)

Schmidt what area were you thinking of specializing in, both subject and territory wise?

[edit on 9/10/09 by Hanslune]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Well, since my main interest is in paleo/biological/physical anthropology, my focus is mostly going to be on human evolution. In that, i'm more interested in the later years than the early years. I find anything in Homo to be more interesting than anything in Australopithicus, Ardipithicus, etc. which i feel is probabyl because they were just miles more intelligent and their societies were getting more and more sophsticated. And then even after that, my bggest interest is in early humans, when agriculture and domestication began.

edit: mind my spelling, it's 2 am, and i have class at 9. I just wanted to add that i originally came to school with the intent on doing cultural anthro and photojournalism. But my professor (who is ironically an archaeologist) has just blasted my interest in human evolution to unbelievable levels.

Alone the lines of archaeology, which is just an interest, i'm mostly interested in the Mayan and Incan cultures. I find Egyptian to be a little interesting, as well as mesopotamia.

I am also pursuing a bachelors in journalism, with the focus on magazine photojournalism.

I'm hoping i can combine them and write some incredible stories. I'm also interested in some day writing books, as i've been inspired by Richard Dawkins, mostly.

Baby steps, though.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
An excellent plan. We need more people writing about science and anthropology - who actually know something about it. Yep too on Dawkins.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I wish I'd found this earlier - it's a BBC (video) report from the site:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Many thanks for the flags and stars and kind comments.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by berenike]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hi, Archaeology fans.

According to that kind of quotes:

Schmidt1989

majoring in anthropology (with a focus on paleoanthropology

Hanslune

Who is 'they' and why would they care?

How old is the Homo sapiens sapiens ?

__between__years?
________0__100,000 ? = A